Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 2005 klr650 w about 20k. Previous owner explained it leaks oil around the sprocket, and mess shows he was right. I did notice he had overfilled the oil quite a bit. I'm guessing he set the level with the bike on the side stand. I took out a bit, wiped down the mess and don't see any more oil leaking. Haven't driven at any highway speeds yet, so maybe that's a factor. So could having the level too high cause oil to leak around front sprocket without actually having a leak? Some sort of overflow effect? Or am I maybe looking at something intermittent and better off just swapping the seal when I do the front sprocket? Thanks for any wisdom! Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I'll go ahead and change that seal (doesn't look too difficult) and make sure the chain is not too tight when I replace. The freaky thing is it doesn't seem to be leaking now..... In any case I think the parts for the seal were around $20, so rather be safe than have to take it apart again. Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys-chain seems about right. May have been tight at one time when new though. When I put things back together I'll make sure not too tight. This things was covered with oil, so definitely leaking at one time. Just weird it doesn't seem to be leaking since cleaned it up. Maybe the seal was poor at one time and then reseated? Unlikely I know. I'll let you know what I find when I get it apart....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got this one fixed by changing the seal and o-ring on the drive shaft. The old ones looked ok, but can't always tell by looks I know. I did notice the bendy washer that holds the nut in place over the drive sprocket was completely trashed and not fitting over splines correctly. Maybe this was allowing things to wiggle and vibrate a bit causing seal to leak. Just speculation, but in any case I think all set. Thanks to all for your comments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts