Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I looked and didn't find what I was looking for. I just bought my first KLR. 2008 to change oil. I have read a lot of good stuff about Rotella T 15w40. Is that ok and is it diesel oil?
Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Yes, and . . . yes!

IMHO; contrary opinions welcomed! :)

===============

Seriously, the Kawasaki Owners and Service Manuals say, more or less, "If it flows from a bottle, it's o.k. to use for KLR650s." In other words, the oil recommendations remain rather BROAD.

I'm sure Genuine Kawasaki Motorcycle oil is just fine, too, pdwestman! :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
tntom,
Ya' might do some reading over here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread-5.html

My chosen oil is apparently kicking the crap out of the 'Universal Averages' of used KLR oils. Go to post #1 after reading the ten postings of the link. Read the very first paragraph that Blackstone Labs replied to me.

I can only guess that a fair number of the 30+ samples which currently makeup the BS labs U.A. might have been Rotella of one flavor or another.

Rotella T 15W40 apparently has received the JASO MA motorcycle rating. But I believe mine is Better.
I have challenged any and all to prove me incorrect, with a better lab report. 3000 or 5000 miles traveled.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Biggest thing with a KLR (especially the 08's and 09's) is to keep an eagle eye on the level regardless of the brand you use. Some of these bikes get a little thirsty if you run them at higher rpm for extended periods and really bad things happen when they get too low!

Welcome and congrats on the new wheels! :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Biggest thing with a KLR (especially the 08's and 09's) is to keep an eagle eye on the level regardless of the brand you use. Some of these bikes get a little thirsty if you run them at higher rpm for extended periods and really bad things happen when they get too low!

Welcome and congrats on the new wheels! :)
Ain't that the truth. My 08 needs a top off once a week. I try to tell myself it keeps the oil cleaner longer. :50:

(I could have bought a showroom 07 for half the price.) Where's my time machine...

·
Registered
195 Posts
tntom,
Ya' might do some reading over here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread-5.html

My chosen oil is apparently kicking the crap out of the 'Universal Averages' of used KLR oils. Go to post #1 after reading the ten postings of the link. Read the very first paragraph that Blackstone Labs replied to me.

I can only guess that a fair number of the 30+ samples which currently makeup the BS labs U.A. might have been Rotella of one flavor or another.

Rotella T 15W40 apparently has received the JASO MA motorcycle rating. But I believe mine is Better.
I have challenged any and all to prove me incorrect, with a better lab report. 3000 or 5000 miles traveled.
You running the conventional or the synthetic?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You running the conventional or the synthetic?
Troy,
It is the standard petroleum Kawasaki 10W40 Motorcycle Oil!
Kawasaki part # K61021-202A. Blended to Kawasaki Specs by ????.

I have and still do, "dare anyone" to attempt to beat its performance!
Then I'll try their Semi-Synthetic. If that isn't 'good enough', then I try their FULL Synthetic to beat anyone that can show me lower ppm per 1000 miles traveled, (3000 mile minimum run please, apples to apples) on an official oil report!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Troy,
It is the standard petroleum Kawasaki 10W40 Motorcycle Oil!
Kawasaki part # K61021-202A. Blended to Kawasaki Specs by ????.

I have and still do, "dare anyone" to attempt to beat its performance!
Then I'll try their Semi-Synthetic. If that isn't 'good enough', then I try their FULL Synthetic to beat anyone that can show me lower ppm per 1000 miles traveled, (3000 mile minimum run please, apples to apples) on an official oil report!
Thanks for the info, Paul. I'll go that route since it's right here at work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts