Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my daughter was using my KLR and laid it down on a turn in the gravel. No damage but it leaked some fuel from the full tank of gas. More concerning was a small pool of oil that was in the handguard. I could not see where it came from. Before i take off the tank, I wanted to see if others experienced this before.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yesterday my daughter was using my KLR and laid it down on a turn in the gravel. No damage but it leaked some fuel from the full tank of gas. More concerning was a small pool of oil that was in the handguard. I could not see where it came from. Before i take off the tank, I wanted to see if others experienced this before.
Oil in the hand guard? Brake fluid? I'm having difficulty imagining motor oil getting up there in a normal low side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oil in the hand guard? Brake fluid? I'm having difficulty imagining motor oil getting up there in a normal low side.
Yep, no way oil could magically appear in the hand guard, not without leaving a big messy trail from elsewhere.

Put down the tool kit, pick up a rag and wipe it up, check the brake fluid level and maybe bleed the brakes if they don't feel firm.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, no way oil could magically appear in the hand guard, not without leaving a big messy trail from elsewhere.

Put down the tool kit, pick up a rag and wipe it up, check the brake fluid level and maybe bleed the brakes if they don't feel firm.
Did not perform the taste test as suggested but the liquid was quite black even on the finger test. Not mistaking it, it was oil. Thinking it may have come from around the bolts on the cylinder head cover. Had one leak before. Problem with that area is that you cannot torque it very much given it will damage the threads in the aluminum.

Not the break fluid unless it changes colour when exposed to the air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts