Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its Christmas and nothings open, I'm out in bush and ran out of oil(for some reason), no signs of leaks or smoke, I put some car oil in for the last couple of days, its empty every day, : is this because i'm using car oil, or what could the mystery be??, why would my oil be going down every day for, i'm parked up today, on a surface where I can watch to see if its leaking anywhere, I've pulled a few covers off and cleaned everywhere possible to see where it could be leaking from, i'm able to park up for a while and get more bike oil and filter when shops re-open though can anyone help with any idea's to what this problem could be??Much Appreciated- Ross

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Year and mileage of bike?

Mileage to oil depletion (from full sight glass indication)?

When you check your oil, do you let the engine stand idle for at least several minutes, allowing oil to flow from the internal engine passages into the crankcase? (When you run your engine, the oil disappears immediately from the sight glass.)

Car oil, motorcycle oil, machts nicts, makes no difference.

If no external leaks, your engine could be ingesting oil through dysfunctional piston rings or defective valve seals.

A leakdown test should help evaluate cylinder/combustion chamber sealing.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Ross,
I'll suggest the possibility of an improperly serviced air filter allowing dirty air into your engine and therefore wearing out your rings and cylinder. What type of air filter is in your bike?

As Damocles suggested, we need more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts