·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
Font Parallel Engineering Motor vehicle Auto part

Reactions: KBear

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
Everybody. Rocky Mountain, Revzilla, ProCycle, CyclePartsNation, Prtzilla, 3D, auto parts stores, Amazon, e-bay, Walmart, your local brick and mortar...

The engine has not really changed much since 1987; neither have the filters. Air or oil.

The HiFloFiltro HF123 and the K&N KN123 are popular. These are the two that I use and what I use is determined by the price. I only use the K&N because I got a handful for free. I try to buy HiFloFiltro in large lots to get the price down to $2-$3. Money saved on filters, though not much in the grand scheme of things, can buy more beer. I think the last time I bought them I got 5 for $20 on e-bay. I thought I got hosed on the deal and had to drink Natty Light for two weeks to make up for it.

Here's a list of some of the available filters. They are all the same.

OEM Part: 16099-004
Fram: CH6070
EMGO: 10-30000
K&N: KN-123
Wix: 24951
NAPA: 4951 (made by wix)
Amsoil: 24941 (made by wix)
HiFloFiltro: HF123

·
Registered
2022 klr650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everybody.

The engine has not really changed much since 1987; neither have the filters. Air or oil.

The HiFloFiltro HF123 and the K&N KN123 are popular. These are the two that I use and what I use is determined by the price. I only use the K&N because I got a handful for free. I try to buy HiFloFiltro in large lots to get the price down to $2-$3. Money saved on filters, though not much in the grand scheme of things, can buy more beer. I think the last time I bought them I got 5 for $20 on e-bay. I thought I got hosed on the deal and had to drink Natural Light for two weeks to make up for it.

Great thanks for all the help I’m new to the klr I’ve owned a few klxs but not a klr

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
97 Posts
When I did my last oil change I bought the kawi oil and filter from my local dealer.
It was cheaper by a buck or two than online.

Now if you want to buy in bulk then online will be less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everybody. Rocky Mountain, Revzilla, ProCycle, CyclePartsNation, Prtzilla, 3D, auto parts stores, Amazon, e-bay, Walmart, your local brick and mortar...

The HiFloFiltro HF123 and the K&N KN123 are popular. These are the two that I use and what I use is determined by the price. I only use the K&N because I got a handful for free. I try to buy HiFloFiltro in large lots to get the price down to $2-$3. Money saved on filters, though not much in the grand scheme of things, can buy more beer. I think the last time I bought them I got 5 for $20 on e-bay. I thought I got hosed on the deal and had to drink Natty Light for two weeks to make up for it.

I can understand Natty but can't wrap my head around Natty Light. Same $, not like it's an oil filter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
As I've mentioned before on this forum, and of course, individuals will take exception to it, but I purchase my oils and filters from a Kawasaki dealer. No, I'm not made of money, but I sure like supporting local business for one and the Kawasaki dealer as well. After all, if they're not there where online will you purchase your next KLR? Just my 5 cents.

·
Registered
2022 klr650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I've mentioned before on this forum, and of course, individuals will take exception to it, but I purchase my oils and filters from a Kawasaki dealer. No, I'm not made of money, but I sure like supporting local business for one and the Kawasaki dealer as well. After all, if they're not there where online will you purchase your next KLR? Just my 5 cents.
Automotive tire Font Bag Gas Auto part

Do you think this oil is good enough or go buy Kawi oil

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Ya, that oil will be fine. If you have warranty keep your receipts. Personally if I had warranty I would use the Kawasaki oil and filter at least for it’s duration.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
The HiFloFiltro HF123 and the K&N KN123 are popular.
Tom. Are the HiFlo and K&N the same filter? I normally use the HF but was recently given a couple of K&N and to me they look to be the same although the K&N definitely costs more.

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
They looked the same to me, too. However, they'd almost have to just because of the design and where they have to go. HIFloFiltro makes filters for others and has a long history of making OEM filters. Supposedly, K&N oil filters are made by Champion, but that might only be the typical metal canister filters. Perhaps HiFloFiltro makes the element filters for them.

Like you, I've never bought a K&N but the ones I was given looked fine for use to me!

·
Registered
433 Posts
You really must make up your own mind regarding oil usage. I'm sorry but I'm unable to comment on off brand oils when it comes to motorcycles. Especially when that bike isn't mine. Me, I use Kawasaki oils and filters in both my Kawasaki's, Honda oils and filters on both my Hondas, Yamalube and Yamaha filters on my Yamaha and KTM spec oils and filters on my KTM. Spoke with a Yamaha dealer Service Manager not long ago addressing my '83 920 Virago where the PO used Mobile 1 in the bike. I asked if that was an oil that should be used, and his candid answer was "He never understood why anyone would put automobile oil in a motorcycle." Sure, was he promoting Yamalube oils? That's fine with me. I get the peace of mind of knowing that I have the spec "motorcycle" oils in my bikes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
View attachment 30988

Do your break in with conventional oil first. Kawi oil or Rotella T4. Then after a few thousand miles you can switch over to the Mobil 1. I got half a case of the oil you are showing from the previous owner when I got my used 2012. It has been working great for the past 6K miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It has been awhile since I have worked on a bike but is there still a concern with additives in the oil and the wet clutch?

"Friction modifiers, added to some passenger car/light truck motor oils to maximize fuel economy, can decrease the coefficient of friction within the clutch pack and result in excessive slippage. Extreme-pressure additives, commonly used in gear lubes to protect against shock loads and intense pressures, can cause excessive clutch slippage and related damage."

I used to buy motorcycle specific oil to just be on the safe side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts