Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly did I buy, I was told a KLR 600 but after getting into the valve head im not sure now...

The service manual shows an oil pipe over to the exhaust cam using banjo bolts for the KLR 600... This head doesn't have the banjo hole for the oil to goto the cam journals... but the journal itself has the banjo hole.

Am i right in thinking this is a 650 head with 600 journals that have been swapped over?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you Take a pic of the bike and engine might be able to identify it for you? what year?
Bikes at a garage away from home so cant take pics.

Not sure on year either.

All i know is that there is a banjo bolt hole in the front exhaust cam journal, but there is no banjo hole next to inlet cams where on the service manual for a KLR 600 is shows there is.

So the oil must come in from underneath the cam journals but there is no transfer pipe between the journals.

So with oil starvation the exhaust cam burnt up, I may look at having it reworked and machined but really need to figure what exactly im dealing with first

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, you could check the engine code and see if it's a kl600 cylinder. Also, is there a weighted spring mechanism on the end of the exhaust cam? there should be a KACR (kaw automatic compression release) there.

What am I saying? You said there's no pipe coming up at all? Is there an external oil pipe running up the back of the engine and entering into the head at all?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you could check the engine code and see if it's a kl600 cylinder. Also, is there a weighted spring mechanism on the end of the exhaust cam? there should be a KACR (kaw automatic compression release) there.

What am I saying? You said there's no pipe coming up at all? Is there an external oil pipe running up the back of the engine and entering into the head at all?
Don't worry I figured it out.... Its a 650 head on a 600 jug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts