Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the purchaser of a 2008 KLR in 2017 with 200 miles, I am concerned with the potential for known to this forum mechanical issues with these motorcycles.
I would be interested in other owners who bought similar Gen2 KLR's with low mileage, the issues they experienced with the known imperfections in these early Gen 2's.
Most important to me,at this point in my ownership, is approximately when do these early Gen 2's start burning oil. Also, what percentage eventually did or will burn oil.
And if, feeling generous, specify which fixes are considered mandatory, highly recommended or go ahead if you want to level modifications. If this is addressed elsewhere, please leave links. Thankyou All!

·
Registered
163 Posts
How much have you ridden it so far and what's the result at this point?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ridden from 200 to 1800 miles. I changed the oil and filter. HID headlight bulbs, original dim like all halogens. The brakes seemed weak and replaced pads, much better. Have ridden ever since with no problems, that I know about observed. I bought the eagle mike doohickey kit, yet to be installed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like you're doing pretty good then without any real issues. Just ride it and stick to the maintenance schedule.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digging deeper, if the early Gen 2's are prone to burning oil due to out of round lower cylinder ware, should a 685 be done now while ware is at a minimum compared to doing the upgrade with all the other worn parts possibly because of the cylinder problem. And I like the response of ride it and change the oil.😊

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
No advantage to doing the 685 right away IMO; the bore shape tends to stabilize over time so it's probably better to wait otherwise the sleeve may futher warp after the overbore and you'd need to do it again....besides, you may be one of the lucky '08 owners whos bike doesn't develop an excessive oil burning problem.

Other than the piston and rings, there are no other parts that wear because of an oil control issue and they get replaced anyhow.

I would ride it, maintain it and keep a close eye on oil levels and consumption.....and I'd add a Thermobob, but I think we've covered that one! LOL

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a thermo bob? 😊. Thankyou, for confirming my game plan.

My Thermo- Bob will be installed with doohickey swap. Heading to cold climate will force me in doors for a while. Great opportunity to get all that is needed done.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My 2008 worked up to using a quart in 1000 miles at 20,000 miles. The dealer honed and re-ringed it in warranty. At 40,000 it was doing it again so I installed a 685 piston and it has been good to 100,000 miles.

Another common gen2 problem is wiring rub-through. The most likely place for this is at the right front of the tank where a wiring bundle runs along a horizontal support bar. Remove the tank and you will see it, Reposition the bundle so the tank can not rub on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, very helpful. It is a big advantage to have ten years knowledge of potential problems day 1. I am gathering signs of future problems hoping for some of them not to have. Being aware and possibly prevent some my goal. Again thankyou.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
My 2008 worked up to using a quart in 1000 miles at 20,000 miles. The dealer honed and re-ringed it in warranty. At 40,000 it was doing it again so I installed a 685 piston and it has been good to 100,000 miles.

Another common gen2 problem is wiring rub-through. The most likely place for this is at the right front of the tank where a wiring bundle runs along a horizontal support bar. Remove the tank and you will see it, Reposition the bundle so the tank can not rub on it.
In regards to this wiring bundle between the fuel tank and the coolant recovery reservoir bracket. MOVE the wire bundle from behind the bracket to in-front and above the bracket. Get that bundle out of harms way. Kawasaki should have never routed it between there.

Remove the 2 inner mounting bolts of the reservoir. Loosen the lower bracket bolt. Remove the top bracket bolt & tip the bracket & reservoir away from the frame. Push the wire bundle between the frame & the bracket. One will need to reposition bendable metal tab from behind the horn to above the horn and re-do a couple of zip ties. One needs to prevent the re-positioned wire bundle from pushing on the horn or the horn will be 'muted'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very very helpful. When I do the doohickey swap I will address those issues. I had read about the wire rub, but did not know specifics.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
In addition to Paul's description here is a photo of the area where the rub occurs:

This photo is about 10 years old and was my version of the fix on my '08. Paul's description is more comprehensive.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
There were numerous points of potential contact that were supposed to have been addressed by the dealerships during the recalls. But many owners failed to ever return to the dealerships to have the recalls completed. And there was Nothing in the Official Kawasaki Recall Bulletin which concerned the RH harness re-routing that I suggest be done. If one never falls down on the RH side and therefore never bends the reservoir bracket then Kawasakis original routing of that bundle was safe. Problem is Gravity almost always gets us.

One can go directly to https://www.kawasaki.com/ and on the RH side of drop down menus go to Owner Center, Enter your VIN and it will tell of any outstanding recalls that may have never been done. I believe that any recalls never completed must still be honoured.
I will also suggest from what I have read on numerous forums that some dealerships didn't even follow Kawasakis recall instructions very well.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
In addition to Paul's description here is a photo of the area where the rub occurs:

This photo is about 10 years old and was my version of the fix on my '08. Paul's description is more comprehensive.
Yeah thats the area which needs to be re-routed and the point of contact with the fuel tank is another 6 - 8 inchs to the right.

I'm referring to the outer RH area of that harness which passes between the steel pipe bracket and the press welded seam of the forward edge of the fuel tank as it crosses from the reservoir frame to the plastic front fairing.

The harness bundle really should pass thru the opening where your top LH zip-tie is at, to get in-front of and above the horizontal bracket pipe.
Turn the LH bendable metal hanger 90 degrees to the left. And turn the RH bendable metal hanger completely up-side down. Use the RH bendable hanger to help keep the harness away from the top rear of the horn, along with 2 zip-ties on the top pipe.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
There were a couple of areas that were susceptible to chafing; the harness needs to be inspected from stem to stern, looking for potential problem areas. I wound up adding a number of zip ties here and there and bits of hose here and there, such as down near the main fuse area:

Reactions: chestypuller1970

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Digging deeper, if the early Gen 2's are prone to burning oil due to out of round lower cylinder ware, should a 685 be done now while ware is at a minimum compared to doing the upgrade with all the other worn parts possibly because of the cylinder problem. And I like the response of ride it and change the oil.😊
No advantage to doing the 685 right away IMO; the bore shape tends to stabilize over time so it's probably better to wait otherwise the sleeve may futher warp after the overbore and you'd need to do it again....besides, you may be one of the lucky '08 owners whos bike doesn't develop an excessive oil burning problem.

Other than the piston and rings, there are no other parts that wear because of an oil control issue and they get replaced anyhow.

I would ride it, maintain it and keep a close eye on oil levels and consumption.....and I'd add a Thermobob, but I think we've covered that one! LOL

Cheers,
Dave
Speaking of oil control, Dave supplied this pic on another forum just a bit ago. Notice the width of the oil ring groove, the size of the oil return holes and the oil return holes in the groove near the piston pin boss of a JE piston from Eagle Mike.
The oem piston does not have any oil return holes on the sides.

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1502433&postcount=13

1 - 17 of 17 Posts