1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sweet. If I was to do that my luck I'd be in prison for like. But America needs more people like him. He has a backbone.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
116 Posts
Love it... I wonder if they were caught...I'd look at emergency departments....There probably there getting stitches....maybe some lead poisoning treatment ... lol ..

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hope the elderly guy doesn't have any legal problems.

Sad, but that is the world we live in.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Right on! If would have been one of the patrons, I would have been nervous as shit with the way the guy was running around shooting at the robbers in kind of a freestyle mode, but he got the job done. Considering they felt it was acceptable to barge into a place full of people and point guns at them, too bad the old man didn't kill them both on the spot: it's what they deserved.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If would have been one of the patrons, I would have been nervous as shit with the way the guy was running around shooting at the robbers in kind of a freestyle mode, but he got the job done.
That concerns me. I feel like some legal bureaucrat is going to say he used excessive force and they'll somehow turn this around to the elderly guy being the villain.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Legally, as I understand the situation, deadly force may be used legally when an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent exists.

Did the shooter reasonably fear an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent existed?

He must convince the court.

Personally? I imagine I'd consider someone pointing a pistol at me and threatening my life as an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent; however . . . whether a court agrees depends upon many things, the VENUE, for one . . .

A Muleshoe, Texas, courtroom might look at the situation differently from one in, say, Manhattan.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the patrons themselves don't see this as an opportunity to sue, saying the guy put their life in jeopardy, and getting some money out of the deal.

Must admit, my favorite part of the whole video was the two guys trying to get through the door at the same time and falling all over themselves.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Legally, as I understand the situation, deadly force may be used legally when an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent exists.

Did the shooter reasonably fear an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent existed?

Personally? I imagine I'd consider someone pointing a pistol at me and threatening my life as an imminent threat of death or serious injury to the innocent; however . . . whether a court agrees depends upon many things, the VENUE, for one . . .

A Muleshoe, Texas, courtroom might look at the situation differently from one in, say, Manhattan.
The thing is that he was shooting them as they ran away. Hard to tell, but it looks like he fires a shot out the door. Is there a threat of death or serious injury with the attackers running with their tails between their legs? Serious question, I don't know.

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure there will be someone who will find it abhorrent.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I saw this on the news this morning. The media reported that the punks were caught (injured) and that the old guy would not be facing any charges.
(and we know the media is always correct :))

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This was in Florida so I think that he won't be prosecuted. Sued? probably by everybody even the passive that he potentially saved. The perps family will probably sue. Yea it will all get tossed eventually but it will still end up costing the hero.

Shooting someone is a terrible thing for all involved probably. IMO these guys gave up all due process rights when they decided to arm themselves and threaten people.

Florida customer shoots suspects during Internet cafe robbery

·
Registered
303 Posts
While I can appreciate what the concerned citizen tried to do, I'd really like for him to get more training and practice. The moment they are running away and out the door, it is no longer self defense.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
While I can appreciate what the concerned citizen tried to do, I'd really like for him to get more training and practice. The moment they are running away and out the door, it is no longer self defense.

Self defense might not be the issue at that point.

Florida is a "stand your ground" state and I don't know what that entails. Police can usually shoot a fleeing felon, does Florida grant that right to a private individual?

Then again it may be self defense if a reasonable individual believes that the perps could return unless sent hurtling down the street!

BTW the concerned citizen didn't "try" to do anything. He did something. arguably saved innocent lives. Seems to me the outcome was the right one. No sheep were harmed thanks to him. Needs more training? Not that day.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
You have a point, although the miscreants remained armed and revealed their intent.

Again, VENUE remains key; regional culture, custom, precedent and attitude will color justice in an instance such as this one.

Don't know whether the "vigilante" winged a perp in the store and/or while the perp was fleeing; firing at the fleeing felon may have been in error, and illegal, but . . . the situation when the target was hit may be critical.

Again, valid point! Education and training could be useful also, as you mention.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Again, valid point! Education and training could be useful also, as you mention.
I just believe with some more range time and some basic training, that there would have been no chasing them out of the shop. Things to remember: dead people can't testify against you and ammo is cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right on, I say. Shoot first ask questions later. I agree its too bad he was not a better shot. Then there would be 2 less dirtbag criminals walking around. There are far too many for Police alone to handle and way too many Lawyers.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Does not have to convince anyone, was not charged with a crime for shooting them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just believe with some more range time and some basic training, that there would have been no chasing them out of the shop. Things to remember: dead people can't testify against you and ammo is cheap.
I agree, and he had more shots left. Should have emptied it

·
Registered
141 Posts
This incident totally illustrates why it is necessary for those law-abiding, responsible citizens that wish to exercise their Second Amendment rights by carrying a concealed firearm for defensive purposes be allowed to do so.

As a firearms instructor, I am glad this man acted where he felt it was necessary to act. Regardless of how much or little training he had, it was obviously enough to be effective.

Were those thugs going to shoot anyone in the shop? There's no way to know. However, they will likely not assume it's safe to go in and rob another store the same way (once they're out of prison, that is).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts