Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil and filter in one of my other bikes about a year ago. Since the change I may have ridden the bike maybe 20 miles. (to busy ridin the KLR LOL)Does oil in a crankcase get old? Should this oil be changed? I'm not tryin to be cheap here. If there is nothing wrong with the oil it would be a waist of good oil. If it looses something just sitting there than I will.

thanks for the help

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I don't know if oil goes 'bad', but I'd change it just for peace of mind, because it's cheap, and it gives you a good opportunity to get looking at the bike.

I'm curious about your question though. I always thought gas went bad pretty quick and was recently taken to school about that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tell me about the gas thing Dan, please.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Surely. I always thought that gas went bad pretty quick. I am a die hard seafoam fanatic. My wife has a 69 Karmen Ghia that never gets driven. We're trying to sell it. With all the baby drama and then her Dad's decline, it sat for like a year. I was going to put some seafoam in and hope for the best, but my bro in law who builds hot rods and my Uncle in law, Joe Locasto (Three-time Bonneville speed record holder ...he was a stunt driver/racer and builds cars and airplanes from scratch...pretty knowledgeable guy) looked at me like I was crazy. Sure enough, damn thing started right up. They thought it was the funniest thing.

I know it will go bad eventually, but I always thought it happened a lot quicker.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm no expert and you probably shouldn't even read this post but I can tell ya my exp. I have never had a problem with gas. Now most of the time my stuff doesn't sit for a year but a few months on the three wheeler and the tractor aren't uncommon. Now I have an ultralight that I won't trust gas for more than a couple of weeks. After all thats my butt. If that thing stops I just can't pull over. Now I did have one problem with an outboard that sat for a few years but that was a bunch of crap in the carb. I think the power in the gas is reduced after a long period but never had a problem (except the outboard) with an engine firein up after a few months.

Anyone know about oil though? Does it loose it's ability to lube over a period of time? Or is the problem more moisture or contaminants gettin into the crankcase?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts