Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody wearing one?? I'm thinking about pawning off a few (yes, I said few) of my riding jackets and either getting a new Aerostich Darien or an Olympia AST..
What ever I get, it's gonna be bright..

Either

Or

I have a Darien that I bought used on eBay years ago. Actually, it works fine, but I'm looking at going with a bright jacket for a while.. Brighter target, more that likely.. :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking at the AST Jacket and Pants also. On the other board, I posted the same ? as yours and the feed back I received was good, to bad we can't pull up those comments.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Baja...
All the research I've done shows both are great jackets..
Part of me wants to head up to Aerostich and buy one off the floor, but part of me wants the Olympia jacket..

Actually, part of me just wants to ride up to Aerostich as an excuse to ride.. It's gonna be a long winter..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Big brown truck dropped off my Hi-Viz AST yesturday. I got to wear it on my regular commute today. Did anyone mention how BRIGHT this jacket is... BRIGHT I say!! Overall, seems to be a very nice jacket. This morning was about 60 degrees, and this evening's 25 mile return home was probably low 80's. Both trips were comfortable without the liner, vents closed in the morning and open this evening. Armor is very nice, and jacket weight is perfect in my book.. not too light, not too heavy. Thats all I can really say until I put some more miles on it. First impression is that it is a good value for the price, assuming that it holds up over the next few years. I'll try and write up a short review in a couple weeks, and hopefully I'll get to test it out in the rain a bit...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing my teknics jacket that I've had for years, it's a great jacket, but for warmer weather it really sucks, it's vented, but I really think some S&M master thought up the vents. I will give it very high marks in rain though, never got wet when it rained on me, as long as you have any paper stuff in the inside pockets and it is padded in the back, shoulders and elbows. So I figure I'll troll a bit and see what everyone else is using .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paper,

I like the looks of that AST jacket too, but I just bought my Tourmaster Flex this year, so I got this Hi-Vis vest to throw on.

It is a pretty good option, only cost 20 bucks, and I can throw it on over any jacket I want.

Chet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Hey Chet... nice dog! 8) I love dogs with eyebrows. They are so expressive.

Have you seen my doggy? Right up your alley!
Thanks Biker Scout...Can't say as I have seen your dog...this isn't some kind of joke I'm walking into is it??? :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
abramsgunner:

Thanks for jumping in for the test ride. With the vents open, how was the air flow? How would you compare it to a mesh type jacket? I ride with a backpack, do you think that the shoulder straps would interfear with the shoulder vents on the jacket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kermit,
Vents seem to work very well, although the temps have been dropping here, so I can't give you a summer season report. I was comfortable in the low 80's, especially when moving. I rode all summer with a mesh jacket, and as expected, mesh moves much more air. The mornings are now too cold for mesh, and the AST without liner is the perfect next step for 50-60 degree weather. The arm vents and chest vents would be fine with a backpack.. the back vents run vertically down each side of the back, and a backpack might slow air down as it exits, but I doubt it... probably be OK.

Rode to work this morning in a drizzling rain... stayed boned dry in Oxtar Infinity boots, First Gear HT overpants, and Olympia AST jacket... and was glad to have the Hi-Viz scheme... I feel like folks stay farther away from me in traffic.. must be afraid of radiation poisoning :lol:

So far I'm very happy with my AST. It is definately a little loud... but I'm starting to get the big-head from all the admiring stares I get from the ladies in traffic... lmao

·
Registered
76 Posts
I really like the Hi-Vis, but I find wearing my ICON MILSPEC Vest to work is doing the job and I don't like being HI-Vis when I'm out and about. That is, even my MIL-Spec Orange vest draws a bit too much attention off the bike.

HIJACK in progress....

I think I'll be trying this combo next... looks pretty stylish and it's convertible.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/recontransformer/recontransformer.htm

TW

·
Registered
11 Posts
AST Jacket

Olympia AST Jackets

I bought a Flourescent Yellow one a couple of weeks ago, The temperature around here has been hovering around 2-6 degrees celcuis with rain, (so i can't comment on the venting), i wear just a light microfiber long sleave t-shirt under the jacket and have been comfortable during my daily communutes. So far I am happy with the jacket, my prime motivator to buy the jacket was because of the color, and it sure bright.

temperature range during use - 2-6 degrees celcius
exposure times - 30-45 minutes
light to moderate rain during rides, night conditions because of time of day, and clouds
no additonal clothing layering or electrics required, but would be longer rides
average speeds (wind affect) between 60 -90 kph, variable

love that color !!

My 2 Cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts