Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was thinking it would be fun if we all threw down the one random thing we always have with us on the bike. Zipties and oil and blah blah...all givens. I'm talking your personal must have and why. I'll start.

I always have a few bandanas. Handy in the cold. Dust. Can be used to tie things and I've fixed minor things that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. I get the real big ones. And I don't leave home without a couple.

Next...

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Paracord.

T

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Few Beers, and a 27m wrench, and 15 pounds worth of tools, and something to stitch me up with. (no lie) I play hockey... Love stitches when I can get them.

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paracord.

T
Yup, good one. Me too.

Mark, I don't carry any of that stuff but I ride with someone who does. ;)

Oh, and no offense but I've smoked a lot of things but cannot stomach cigars...I just don't get it. Too much of a commitment. Or I'm too ADD...what were we talking about?

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Rain gear, a Ruger GP100 .357 in a shoulder holster with two speed loaders and a cell phone. I ride the back roads and have hosted a lot of the local criminals/meth-heads at the prison where I work. I would prefer to not be at a disadvantage should I run across a few of them who don't particularly care for me out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
...a Ruger GP100 .357 in a shoulder holster with two speed loaders and a cell phone...
Which rig do you use, and how are the speedies carried? Vertical or horizontal?

T

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Which rig do you use, and how are the speedies carried? Vertical or horizontal?

T
I just use an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. It has a large plastic plate thing with slots on the right side that's designed to attach a speed loader or magazine pouch, but I find it's awkward to get to. I carry two speed loaders in a leather case that's on my actual belt, right in front by the buckle so they're easy to reach with either hand.

I've found the shoulder holster to be the best method to carry on the bike; fairly easy to get to if you're stopped and sitting on it as long as you can leave your jacket partway unzipped.

If I'm going to be out in public, running errands, etc. where I'm going to take my riding jacket off, I use one of those fanny pack/holster things. They usually look kind of out of place on somebody like me, but blend right in when you're motorcycling. I also use it when it's cold out and I have to leave my jacket zipped all the way up.

I usually also carry a Ruger .380LCP in my right front pocket jeans pocket or buttoned chest pocket on my overalls. Figure if I get caught with my pants down, anybody messing with me will be attracted to (and distracted by) the larger pistol. It's not a whole lot bigger than a deck of poker cards and it feels like there's a firecracker going off in your hand when you shoot it, but it's a pretty capable little gun.

On a side note, I also always carry a spare key in my wallet. When I'm fishing, I usually have to walk aways from the KLR and don't like to leave the key in it. One day I was fishing wearing baggy overalls and had the key in my right front pocket. I wound up slipping down a muddy bank and went right into the river. By the time I got out and crawled back up the bank, the key was long gone. Had to call my wife to come rescue me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I carry a cheap, small roll of generic muffler / exhaust strapping in a blister pack from an auto parts store.

It's basically a coil of thin metal with holes evenly spaced through-out, and the package comes with a couple of bolts and nuts. It is a lot stronger for applications where a plastic zip tie would be a little too weak.

Of course I also keep a pair of tin snips in my electrical / epoxies / spare parts tool pack to cut the stuff with.

That probably means it fails the "one Thing" test of this thread, but if you want something a little stronger and more rigid than plastic tie straps or paracord that takes up minimal space....

Truth be known, I live more than 600 miles from any friends or relatives - I keep enough tools and materials on the bike at all times to deal with just about anything I could realistically expect to encounter and correct or cobble on my own along the side of a road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts