Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would always rather give business to a local shop, but sometimes that isn't possible. Which online retailers of klr or motorcycle gear do you patronize? and which ones do you avoid?
Thanks!

PS. Does any shop in the bay area have a good selection of touring products for the klr? figured its worth asking...

·
Registered
98 Posts
i got most of my riding gear from motorcyclesuperstore.com, with good customer service. i have also used ebay (for a large rear rack), klr650.com (although they seem to be sold out alot), and arrowhead (for my doohickey). i think dualstar could be more efficient if they updated their web sales interface, it is clunky.
just my two bits. one thing for sure, they will all gladly take your money.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, my absolute #1 place for gear is Newenough.com, with motorcyclecloseouts.com in a very close second..

As far as goodies, I like KLR650.com and BikeBandit, who've I've had very good luck with AND they give me a discount for being an AMA member.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I shop around and usually take the best deal unless it is close and I will give favor to the vendor that supports the KLR community. I will not support the vendors who continue to take advantage of other persons and companies research and development while buying and selling Chinese lesser quality knock-offs.

KLR six fifty dot com makes and sells Chinese knock-offs. They have copied the EBC 320 rotor and bracket, mufflers, etc., and recently is selling a copy of the Eagle Balancer Lever. There balancer lever is no where near the quality that the Eagle Balancer Lever is. The Eagle Balancer Lever is hand crafted, yes each and ever Eagle BL is checked and finished by hand. The quality of the knock-offs are questionable

Arrowhead Motorsports recently started buying the Chinese BL and other products though they are not telling you, the customer, that. Also they are not lowering there prices. The balancer lever springs you see on their sight were given (no cost) to them by Eagle Mfg & Eng. When Eagle was no longer able to get the original BL Wrench they made their own. Eagle reduce their price to Arrowhead by 50% though Arrowhead did not lower the price to the customer. The list of stories continue to grow.

Eagle Mfg & Eng has supported the KLR community with engineering based customer service oriented attitude. If Eagle is late getting orders to the vendors is because he was probably helping a KLR person with over the phone support, online support, or helping a drop-in with a repair or build and many times is never financially compensated by the drop-in. EagleMike and Buddy host a minimum of four Tech Days in Julian and San Diego every year. Mike and Buddy do not make any financial profit from these events though they gain that special feeling of knowing the KLR community is being cared for. Name another company that spends the hands-on time caring for for KLR's and their owners. Yes you can order most items from Eagle Mfg & Eng. Give EagleMike a call.

BikeBandit is good though CA residents pay sales tax.

NewEnough is a family owned company in its own league. Excellent online information, excellent telephone support, quick to ship, great prices, the best with returns.

TPI has always given me excellent service and prices.

Twisted Throttle is another very good company.

Happy Trails has a good line of their own products, offer good KLR support, and attend local and major KLR events. Tim and Todd are good people to deal with and normally go out of their way to help KLRistas (unlees snow prevents them from getting to the store :) )

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Thanks for the update Tomato,, Some info I was not aware of...
I just read that TPI is selling Studebaker (KLR650.com) packaged counter sprockets. You won't find me using those products. I will start my own business or ask Eagle Mfg & Eng to order the JT or Sunstar before I support Studebaker.

To ALL: If you feel the same way take what action you need to to make sure you get a quality product at a quality price. Support the vendors that support you.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Eagle Mike told me that they're repackaging his product.. He said he was making them and they were sticking them in their own packaging..

Can anyone verify that these are NOT Mike's product?

No, I'm not saying you're wrong, and I had the same hunch about copies being made, which is why I contacted Mike in the first place. Mike said they're his product that's been repackaged, and they come with contact numbers to call him if there's any questions..

If they are copies, and they're still telling everyone to contact Mike, I'd like this verified.. The LAST thing I'd do is suggest someone to use a lever that's sold under the assumption that it's Mike's products and it's not.:mad0235:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I would guess if they were repackaging Eagle products with another name and selling them don't you think they would have recieved a call from an attorney?

Contact Mike and ask him.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I would guess if they were repackaging Eagle products with another name and selling them don't you think they would have recieved a call from an attorney?

Contact Mike and ask him.
I did, two weeks ago. His answer is what I posted earlier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
tomatocity- where did you get this info about KLR650.COM?, i have been dealing w/them for over two years now and have had nothing but good service and exceptional products come from them.(Jardine exhaust,jetkit, Doohickey,Mefo tires, etc,etc)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ya know, companies repackage items all the time. Just look at Sears, Wallmart and in fact most retailers. I have met face to face with the owners of KLR650.com and been told that they have many things repackaged for them. I suspect that the Studabaker line is their registered name and there is nothing wrong with what they do. That is as long as the proper agreements are in place and Eagle Mike is being properly informed and is in agreement. To blast away at someone that is just trying to make a living as most of us do is wrong in my book.
I noticed that in other posts that tomato city has referred to the Studabaker line as "cheap import" stuff. If you're willing to back that up then please post some side by side comparisons in picture format if you please. If what you say is true and can be proved then please pass that along. (the proof) I will be the first to ride to their store and confront them for you in that case. I try to support the local vendors and consider KLR650 to be somewhat local. (2 hr drive from my house)
I look forward to seeing and reading your response and hopefull the proof as well.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
That is as long as the proper agreements are in place and Eagle Mike is being properly informed and is in agreement.
And, as I mentioned, Mike is completely aware and in agreement.
The fact that a user here was sold a doohickey in a Studebaker package was what grabbed my attention in the first place, resulting in my email to Mike almost 3 weeks ago.

I guess it's time to contact Mike again, and have him post his side of the story..

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
tomatocity- where did you get this info about KLR650.COM?, i have been dealing w/them for over two years now and have had nothing but good service and exceptional products come from them.(Jardine exhaust,jetkit, Doohickey,Mefo tires, etc,etc)
Until recently (very) they did sell Eagle. If they sold EBC it was only until they could copy it. Does your Jardine exhaust have a Jardine logo on it? Mefo: you are guaranteed to get MEFO's from them since they had cornered teh market on them, until recently. Arrowhead also sells them and has been known to say he had ALL the MEFO's in the USA.
Arrowhead removed Eagle from the description of all his products though he still uses the Eagle pictures.

Next time you contact them ask where their products are made. If it is China, Taiwan, or etc. then it is up to you to make the decision whether to buy from them.

I to have had very good service from them. My KLR came with dot com engine and fairing guards. I started to remove these guards to work on my KLR and I had to break teh bolts to remove them. I was going o buy new bolts and decided to contact them to see if they had the bolts. They graciously sent me a new set of bolts for free. I tried to remove the guards again and the bolts broke again. I originally thought they were incorrectly installed. Now I know it was cheap Chinese bolts. I bought the same size bolts at a local warehouse. A month later I had the tank off and decided to test the new USA bolts and they came off easily.

My opinion is mine and I am proud to be an American which allows me to have my own opinion. It is up to the rest of you to have your own opinions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I rec'd a request to respond. It's rather timely, as there have been recent developments. In the past I did sell my lever to Studebaker/klr650.com/mashonline/etc...... They repackaged the lever. Sometimes they included the decal and insert sheet with the parts. At this time I'm not supplying them with lever/doo kits, or other parts. The identity of my parts has often been hidden during the repackaging. I'm concerned that other parts might have entered the mix. I do know they are having other levers made. I don't know about the past. I don't want other parts mixed with mine. There are two sides to this story. One side might be that there wasn't enough supply. Given that a lot of the parts sold by the 650.com group are produced offshore, I think it was a matter of time, no matter what the supply has been. My side would be that I don't want any parts mixed with mine. I know for sure what processes my parts have been through, what material they are made of, what the hardness is, what the performance history of the parts has been, and what dimensions and tolerances are held during manufacture.

I'm happy to support my parts.:) I really don't want to get into a situation where I'm trying to solve an issue with parts I didn't make.

I think this is an important part for the KLR650 engine. Broken parts have destroyed KLR650 engines, in the warranty period and out. IMHO the part needs to be as close to perfect as possible.

I haven't made a big deal of my resume in the past, but I do think it's appropriate here. There might be others on this forum with similar experience. :) I currently do everything from design and program to sweep and package, with help at times. In the past I've worked as a manufacturing engineer, project engineer, quality control manager, been certified as a heat treat inspector, hardness test inspector, weld and braze inspector, etc. I started over 30 years ago sweeping the floor and pushing a file. All this experience has been very useful. I mention this not to toot my horn, but so you will know where I'm coming from....

The 650.com people have been very supportive with goodies for the local tech days in the past.

all the best,

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts