Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight I wanted to check the doohickey and confirm the condition of the spring.

When I removed the cover, a lot of oil poured out. I'd estimate at least a quart.

The motorcycle was on a lift, so it was level.

I don't remember any mention of draining the oil in Souperdoo's videos and didn't see it in the Clymer manual. (Correction, Souperdoo's videos do mention draining the oil.)

So I think I have a problem. Or am I just stupid and should have realized I should drain the oil before I open the case.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i assumed from the title you meant the cam (chain) tensioner cover.... was thinking, that's crazy.

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
What does the oil sight glass indicate now? Did the oil smell like gas?

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the oil sight glass indicate now? Did the oil smell like gas?
Sight glass window shows no oil. Prior to opening the case, the level was at the top of the window.

The oil smells like oil. No gas smell at all.

The bike was running great when I put it away for winter. I was checking the doohickey as part of the 15K mile service, not because of any specific problem.

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
Pour oil in, see if it starts coming out the same place before it shows in the sight glass

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the bike. No reason to think anything is wrong. Why wouldn't the oil show up in the site glass if you replace the oil that ran out? Yes oil will start running out of the engine if you put more in before you tighten the bolts on the side case. Think about it before you answer.

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
Why do you say that? I don't think oil should be that high in the case, unless the float needle stuck open and filled the case with gas. It's happened.

Maybe we're talking about a different part. When I hear "cam chain tensioner cover" I think about the piece that holds the cam chain tensioner, which is held on by 2 bolts above the gear selector shaft. Or are we talking about the plastic cap over the crank bolt?

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
The post was titled incorrectly shaky, it was coming out of the left side stator cover when he unbolted it. Totally normal if not drained already. It was NOT coming out of the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
I'm just dragging it out to wrile up Short Fuze

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made a couple big mistakes in my original post.

- First, @Tom Schmitz (Souperdoo's) videos are fantastic and do in fact mention draining the oil. Specifically between 0:45 and 1:00 minutes in. It's my fault. I did not mean to cast any aspersions his way. In fact, I meant it more as "if the Master Instructor Souperdoo didn't mention it, how could a lowly white belt like me know". Lesson - white belts need to listen more closely

- Second, I originally titled the post "Opened cam tensioner cover & oil poured out". I meant the balancer tensioner cover, aka the left outer engine case.

I blame being tired. I'd already put in three hours on the bike and was trying to finish this one last task last night before going to bed. For me, tired = rushing = mistakes.

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so how was your doohickey? stock? upgraded?
I know the PO installed the Eagle Mike doohickey.

I do not know, however, if he installed the torsion spring or used the stock spring.

So I opened the case to see if I could peek in the case and see which spring was in place.

When the oil poured out, I figured I better take a step back and get some sleep.

I'll check tonight when I get home.

As always, appreciate everyone's help as I learn my way around the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
it's normal for oil to pool in the case when the bike's upright. if you wanted to remove without spilling, lay the bike on it's side.

i've done this to try to fix a slow leak at the stator wires...

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
schlim,
Errors happen to all of us. But you did make me chuckle.

We hope that you find an EM Torsion Spring wrapped around your EM Doo-Hickey. :)

Loosen the locking bolt & use a screwdriver to rotate the Doo-Hickey CCW to confirm spring action, then lightly push it CW to confirm the chain is snug or not.
I leave the locking bolt loose until the cover is snugly bolted back on. This reduces the possibility of tearing the little o-ring on the locking bolt during install of the cover.

BUT remember to snug it down to 70-80 inch pounds along with all of the cover bolts!

Reactions: AFMoulton

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad I could make you laugh! My reaction was ... a little different ;)

It wasn't all bad - as I swung around to pull the cover off, I kicked my oil catch pan. I thought to myself, I better move that someplace safe. So I put it under the bike. Voila! Saved me a huge mess on the garage floor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts