21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just came in from the garage.

The news is ... not what I hoped.

No sign of the torsion spring. And, I was not able to move the doohickey to the left or right. Maybe it's jammed?

Keep in mind I have only removed the outer case so far. I used a lot of light and a magnifying glass to try to peek behind the rotor.

I'll order the torsion spring from Eagle Mike tomorrow.

Anyone have a set of the rotor tools you're willing to sell or rent? Otherwise I'll order those too.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
And, I was not able to move the doohickey to the left or right. Maybe it's jammed?
You did loosen the locking bolt before attempting to push/rotate the lock lever CCW against spring tension, correct?
It can only be moved once the lock bolt has been loosened. Sounds to me like the old style EM extension spring is doing it job.

With the locking bolt 1-2 turns loosened, there is usually just a tiny little bit of 'jiggle' room of clearance between the doo-hickey & the shaft without a Torsion Spring installed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
on my previous owner installed doo, we (my mechanic friend and i) noticed a bit of interference between the lower part of the lever and the case. a bit of grinding fixed that.

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I ordered the tools to remove the rotor so I can get a better look at the situation.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts