Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a tool tube that will fit my 12V pump with no plastic case, a 21" tube, and a decent tool rool - with tools down the bottom of the tube to get the weight down low.

What are your thought on this before I cut it all to size? It will be around 18" long

It is made of 4" pipe and will be secured in two places by 6" hose clamps;

1 - just below the guide post hole for the LHS rear plastic guard

and 2 - where the frame bends near the indicator - there is actually a groove in the rear guard that takes the pipe

Apologies for the pics - these are from my phone

And what is that box on the LHS - it has some air hole on top of it behind the battery?? Do I have to put the rear plastic cover back on?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Alex

·
Registered
93 Posts
Will the tire hit the tube when it gets pushed all the way up? Seems like a fat tube for that location.

That box is the air box. And what cover are you asking about putting back on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't think the tire will hit the tube - it is all outside of the inner flap under the mudguard.

The rear plastic "bodywork" cover - has some foil and looks like insulation covering a part of the inside of it.

Airbox?? So this is an extension to the airfilter located on the RHS of the bike??

Thanks again

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was out in the garage last night experimenting with a piece of 4" pipe leftover from another tool tube project.

I am placing a 4" tube in the exact same spot you are, however my reason was to brace the saddlebags I use (softsides) so the left bag doesn't droop under the sidecovers. It sort of becomes a faux muffer. The bags then become aligned properly and I will have yet another storage area.

My biggest problem is I can't get 6" clamps where I live. I will have to drive for several hours or mailorder them somehow. Can you believe even Home Depot and hardware stores fail to carry them around here?

Anyway the pipe will be painted black to match the exhaust and the pipe and muffler are both about 4" in diameter so the appearance from the rear will be one of dual exhaust. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Somewhere I remember reading 15" for the length but I am not sire what that was based on. Oh it might have been for a Californis KLR with the emissions equipment. Some CA KLRs use this space for a Pleican 1120 case or a Stebel horn.

Tip: wrap your tools, etc. in a drop cloth and insert them in the tube. This will allow you to pull the tolls out easily and give you a place to lay them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What luggage racks are those? My HT racks won't allow a tube that big there (I think... haven't gone out to look).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SgtMarty said:
What luggage racks are those? My HT racks won't allow a tube that big there (I think... haven't gone out to look).
They are custom made - average looking but all galvanised and do the job well, plus protect the bike when I drop it :oops:

Only issue so far with the tube is that I have to remove the helmet lock - more than likely will mount it somewhere on the luggage rack or the otherside of the standard rack.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TreeMan said:
Have you seen http://www.klr650.marknet.us/diy-13_inch_pvc.pdf. It says you may have chain guard clearance problems.

I really like the idea of a tool tube in this location. Keep us posted :D
Firstly, the link doesn't work.

No issue with the chain guard - sits a few inches above it. The end cap will sit on the pillion peg frame. I am also toying with the idea of removing pillion pegs to save some weight.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
VBstubby said:
SgtMarty said:
They are custom made - average looking but all galvanised and do the job well, plus protect the bike when I drop it :oops:

Only issue so far with the tube is that I have to remove the helmet lock - more than likely will mount it somewhere on the luggage rack or the otherside of the standard rack.
Do you have more photos of the racks? I am interested in seeing other ideas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X6_Hustler said:
My biggest problem is I can't get 6" clamps where I live. I will have to drive for several hours or mailorder them somehow. Can you believe even Home Depot and hardware stores fail to carry them around here?
Two hardware stores I tried didn't have them.

Went to a plumbing supplies shop to get mine

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
VBstubby said:
TreeMan said:
Have you seen http://www.klr650.marknet.us/diy-13_inch_pvc.pdf. It says you may have chain guard clearance problems.

I really like the idea of a tool tube in this location. Keep us posted :D
Firstly, the link doesn't work.

No issue with the chain guard - sits a few inches above it. The end cap will sit on the pillion peg frame. I am also toying with the idea of removing pillion pegs to save some weight.
Sorry about that
Try this http://www.klr650.marknet.us/diy_tips.html Click on 13" PVC Storage Container

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All Done

Took my luggage racks off the bike as I found an easy place to mount the tube if I was using them. The idea is to reduce weight for day rides, so removed them as well as the pillion pegs.

Getting the bottom mount secure so that the tube didn't move in towards the tyre was a bit of an issue till I used a small hose clamp through the bodywork guide post mounting hole and then attached the large hose clamp through that. The top of little clamp seems to bite into the tube just enough to stop its movement. I now have about half an inch inside the inner part of the fender

Top clamp goes where the frame bends back to parallel and I've left the helmet lock on as it is a bit of a support for the tube.

Measurement of the pipe is just under 19" (48cm) and the sleeve is another 2" - this measurement needs to be fairly accurate as you wont be able to screw the cap on becasue it would be too close to either the rear fender or one of the hooks of the luggage rack. In hindsight an internal cap would be the choice but don't know how well these are against the elements.

Been a fun little mod. Only negative is I can't get the bodywork cover back on and I now have an open aribox (see seperate thread).

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Cheers Alex

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
VB what model is your KLR?

Nice job BTW.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts