Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who's ridden it and what their experience was. Thinking about riding it and wondering what to expect..

Are the main trails easy to follow or is it necessary to have specific maps/gps coordinates?

Just fire roads or any technical stuff?

Any good side trips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Which route ya talkin bout #3-4-5?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went down bad last June. Crashed in some ruts, shattered the leg. Ridden the KLR three times since. KLR is awefully large for some of the ride. Take it easy,don't be in a rush and you'll be fine. You will need a GPS with well laid tracks. You will get lost. A lot. Bring enough fuel, and rest. Fatigue is for real. there was deep water snow ruts mud mud mud cold and slick (at the end of June). Then, it got 92 degrees and hot near Seneca. Dehydration and fatigue start. Don't go with a group of over 4 riders. No less than 3. Buy a SpOT locator and the very best MX gear you can afford. A smaller bike like a 250-450 would be ideal (IMHO). I am going to do it again this year, probably on the klr but will do a few things differently.

Cheers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't like to think in terms of what I "can't" do on a KLR but what I "CAN" do. :)
I'm going to apply the same philosophy to my KLR as I did with my classic two stoke Vespa when I rode it 22k the first year I owned it with numerous 500 mile days. There will always be something "better," ride what you've got!

·
Registered
99 Posts
All of the routes will have you encountering situations that may well be above your riding skill and with that being said I encourage you to go ride them. Any surface is navigatable if you plan the attack.

#4 very minor issues to ride through.
#3 the top near Big Lake is a bit challenging with it sandy surface.
#5 Never been there.
#2 Some volcanic sand but thats it.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
If anyone is wanting to put a small group together to ride the OBDR this year, please contact me!
Hey Zin and PNWcrazymike, Take a loook at the 2013 Tri State Dual Sport Iron Butt that I have going on July 1st thru 7/8th 2013. Perhaps you guys can join us. If anything your suggestions are welcome.

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Great 2013 to you PNWcrazymike,

I am glad to hear that we have another interested party. You are the fifth to join. Lets keep in touch. Your knowledge of the Oregon area will be invaluable. Where are you going to join us?

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
67 Posts
PNWcrazymike-I live in Redmond and am thinking about riding at least some of the OBCDR this summer. Let me know if you plan a ride and what section you are thinking about.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been thinking about the whole route but a section or two would be fine too! I've been keeping myself broke while dialing in my bike to how I like it. I haven't spent any time with planning yet. I usually not much of a "planner" because theres a certain element of adventure in exploring. I WILL make time to start looking over some basic route info soon. Summer will be here sooner than we know! Give me a call and we should discuss Lana over coffee!
-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts