Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recently purchased '08 with 3000 miles on the original tires, and the rear has significant wear. I was wondering how many miles other riders had gotten from these tires. Is there significant safe milage left when the "knobby" part has worn off the center rubber?

On an unrelated subject, does anyone know a supplier of the Eagle fork brace (the one with the tapped holes for a lowered fender, which I would like to do}? I have tried an email to Eagle from the website, and also am trying to order from "A Vicious Cycle" in Canada without any luck so far.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a recently purchased '08 with 3000 miles on the original tires, and the rear has significant wear. I was wondering how many miles other riders had gotten from these tires. Is there significant safe milage left when the "knobby" part has worn off the center rubber?

On an unrelated subject, does anyone know a supplier of the Eagle fork brace (the one with the tapped holes for a lowered fender, which I would like to do}? I have tried an email to Eagle from the website, and also am trying to order from "A Vicious Cycle" in Canada without any luck so far.

Thanks, Ray
I got about 4800 out of the rear stocky, Still had another 500 or more but I changed it out at that time due to a road trip i was taking. That Tire was good on the street, but it SUX in the mud. I still have my original stocky and have just turned 7300 miles on it. I belive I may be able to get 9 or 10,000 out of the front. It's great on the street and ok in the sand gravel when I air down..but it SUX in the mud!!!

I replaced my rear with a kenda 270 and have been pleased with it, It's about 1/2 way worn down now. I will put another on the rear, Not sure about what I will replace the front with though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have heard as low as 1500 miles and as high as 5800. My 07 has 4200 on it and I plan to change out the rear today or tomorrow. I still have a bit of tread on it and it may go another thousand but I hear most of the flats are on the last 10% of tire life. I do a bit of dirt and gravel roads and just don't want to chance it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I ran my rear stock over the limit to around 5,500. It really depends on your nutsack or being stupid enough like me to push it that long. I think the rear was probably done around 4,500. The front had plenty left which is usually the case with any set of tires. It really depends on your riding style. How fast you take off, how fast you stop, what terrain you ride. This is why you'll see different mileages from every rider. I didn't think the stock tires were all that bad overall except for their mileage. They were definitely easy to put on and take off, they practically changed themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I'm gonna shoot for 4000. Does it not really matter if front and rear are the same brand and type? I read somewhere that handling problems can result if they are not the same...not true?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't think it's true unless you are talking a major difference in style. Like the front having a stock dunlop and the rear being more of a knobby or vice versa.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I only got 3000 on my original tires as well. I have Mefo's now and they are going strong with 4,000 miles on them.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've still got my stock front on and an Avon Gripster on the back. I like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got 4,300 miles on mine and probably couldn't get much more than 500 additional miles out of them. Per the recommendations of some of the forum members, I just got some Kenda's I'm about to put on. I recall reading somewhere that 80-90% of all flats occur during the last 10% of a tires life, so I think a lot of aggravation can be avoided by changing out the tires a bit early.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eagle Mike question.

Thanks, Ray
No one answered the other question so I will this is Mikes email. [email protected] I prefer to order from him, that way he gets full amount instead of the middle man being included. http://www.eagle-m-e.com/ is the website, you will see the link to klr products. If you want to use a UFO style fender you wil have to cut the sides of the fender. But if you are just using the stock or similar there is a little less work, but, I think they look odd. IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the stock KLR tires and get 6k out of the rear and 12k out of the front. If you getting less you may be carrying more weight or running with the pressure too low or too high, which will cause uneven wear. I also just realized that you an 08, maybe they are heavier. I am on an 06.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Since I was doing a 900 mile roadtrip las June, I spooned on (Quite easily as Wanderer mentioned.) a generic street (Maxxis er sumethin') tire and just left the thing on for the summer. That thing is ALL over the place in any kind of wet dirt or mud. Slides wonderfully on gravel. Most excellent fishtailing. lol Wear is why I'm waiting for the snow to fly before putting back the stocker on my '09. I remember from my 83 XL600R days and 95 DR650 times that these tires are as soft as pencil eraser rubber wear horribly fast. I don't have a clue as to what I'll run next, but it will be a top name street tire with deep rain tread. I ride off road, not dirt-biking so to speak and don't need a full on knobby. Just whippin' around fer fun and looking for private places to catch a smoke.

Ride 'em if ya got 'em,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaap

·
Registered
272 Posts
original tirres--how many miles?

Thanks, Ray
Ray, I had to replace the oe rear on my 08 at about 3k mi..
It was not worn completely out at that point but it was time.
I mounted up a pair of avon distanzias that lasted another 5kmi. them I put on a set of michelin t63 knobbies that are now due to be changed after 4k mi.
Note; I am hard on tires, you may get better mileage than I do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
original tirres--how many miles?

I use the stock KLR tires and get 6k out of the rear and 12k out of the front. If you getting less you may be carrying more weight or running with the pressure too low or too high, which will cause uneven wear. I also just realized that you an 08, maybe they are heavier. I am on an 06.
The 08/09 version is heavier by 50 pounds, entirely on the front wheel.
The rear ends of the two versions of klrs weigh the same, or within 10 lbs.

The main difference in tire (and fuel) mileage is probably due mostly to riding style, technique and pace.

On another note; does anyone have a stock late model skid plate I can buy?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I mounted a new rear michelin T63 yesterday after the shop closed.
The old t63 I removed had a little over 4k mi, and it was slick around the center.
I re-used the tube, no worries.
The front has the same 4kmi, but still has good knob hgt. I figure I can probably get two rears to a front.
Rode to work in the rain this am, those t63 work pretty good in the wet, both on pavement and gravel. The gravel gets better when wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my stockers were gone at 1500. then i tried mefos ,wich went to nothing at 3500mi, no good for the money, but, thats my opinion

·
Registered
96 Posts
My first rear OEM tire was changed out at 8,400 miles, the second right at 8,000 miles. My front OEM was changed at 16,000.

My bike is an '05. I weigh in at north of 350 lbs. I am NOT an agressive rider, but ride virtually EVERY day (rain or shine, hot or cold) - bike now has 35,000 miles on it. 95% pavement, the rest forest roads, with only minimal gravel - and our Florida lime rock gravel isn't nearly as tire-shredding as that Smoky Mountain gravel! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts