Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I have a 2017 Indian Scout. Nice bike -crazy fast. Added different bars,seat,floor boards. Very pretty too. Fun, but need a Dualsport again. One reason I’m shopping for a KLR.
Do you have the tools (camera) and computer skills to post pics, rodent64? I don't.

We would love to see pics.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Is your Scout engine based on the flat-tracker engine?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to learn this forum system for posting pictures . I have not taken time to do so. I have posted pics on other forums- I should be able to here ( I guess). The Indian Flat tracker motor looks the same( mostly). Same cc The Indian Scout makes (claimed) 100 hp. The flat tracker (claimed) 120 hp. The only differences ? Part #differences are for -higher flow heads, larger valves,cams,pistons,rings, and a host of other parts ( lol). Typical I think. Race engines get the higher output stuff. I’m sure it makes more hp T the top. These motors are short stroke. Very similar to a Ducati motor in many ways. The street version does have an amazingly flat torque curve. With a few changes to intake,exhaust, and fuel controller. (EFI), these bikes are very stout, yet easy to ride at lower rpm. After about 4.5-5k rpm up to 8/9 k rpm it is a holy terror. You better be tied on. I don’t ride like that anymore, but do grab a hand full of throttle on back roads just to scare hell outta myself from time to time. You know just to “blow the carbon out”!!!. ( Lol).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Indian head fender mount. Those are on the bigger Indian cruiser/tourers. The Scout is a smaller bike. It weighs around 530 lbs. The stock exhaust DB reading was 82Db. The exhaust I installed read 108 DB. A less restrictive exhaust with a higher flowing intake/air box and a program change really wakes these bikes up. Yes- I know it’s kinda loud. It sounds really good, deep throaty rumble. I think Polaris had some German engineers work with them on the design of this bike. Being Indians least expensive bike, but probably accounts for 60% of their sales maybe more( guessing). They are fun. It takes some $$$ to make them more comfortable ( if your old, younger riders don’t complain much). My days of the big heavy tourers and cruisers are over. Too many medical issues now. I’ve owned 31 mc since I was a Teenager. I sold my toys when we moved/down sized a couple yrs ago. Though I’d be happy with just the Scout, but I miss a dual sport. That’s why I’m in the market for a KLR. Besides the KLR is so simple I could keep it running forever. My first ( legal) mc was a Kawasaki (1969) street/trail. I think it fitting my last bike should be a Kawasaki too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As in, . . . DESMODROMIC?

Would also like to see a picture; not sure I'd recognize a Scout. No Indian head sculpture center front fender ornament?
No Desmotronic. Chain driven OHC with shim/ bucket arrangement. Redline 8.5k -9k rpm. Wish I knew how to paste pics on this forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is a 1982 SP250. I've ridden this loud SuperTrapp thing down Carytown (a hipster shopping corridor) during the Christmas season wearing a Santa suit! Kids waving, people staring! My clutch cable broke miles from home. I'm stressfully driving this thing back through a stoplight filled town trying to never stop and speed shifting as necessary. Kids waving and people staring the whole time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts