Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

outlet

13K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Tom Schmitz 
#1 ·
i am looking for any info or advice about adding an lighter outlet for gps and phone charging..any past experience or links will be great, thanks in advance!

#2 ·
This procedure shows it being mounted in an aftermarket dash, but you can purchase a power port from Walmart or anywhere with a bracket and that bracket can be mounted on the upper side of your speedometer or anywhere convenient.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/12v_Outlet.pdf

#13 ·
i have seen numerous references to parts you can get to do this, including one that connects right to the battery tender jack, all which apparently are available at Walmart???

Well, I've been searching high and low for these at walmart and haven't found a damned thing like what has been mentioned. the only things i have found there are male end cigarette lighter adapters with wire leads on the other end for about $10. i am looking for a female adapter jack with, ideally, battery tender type leads ( i forget what they are called). can someone specifically show the part you are buying from wally world, and is this a product they stock currently? does my walmart suck ass?

#3 ·
If you have a trickle charger pig tail on your battery you can do like me and simply go to Walmart and for $2.50 you can get a trailer hitch power outlet. I didn't need an outlet on the bike all the time so it works great for me. If I need to run a air pump or charge the cell I just plug it in and when done remove it.

#4 ·
I use the smaller plug outlet and an adapter sorta like Buildit's. My outlet's main purpose is to power my electric vest, but I also use the adapter for blowing up air mattresses and charging a phone.

As far as GPS, if you look behind your dash you'll find 2 wires that aren't being used. They're for a Euro running light in the headlight. I wouldn't use it for running an electric vest, but for GPS or anything that doesn't have a heavy draw, they're fine..

Here's the location of my outlet, for reference.. It's the black thing at the bottom of the number plate. You can get them at a John Deere dealer for 10 bucks or so.

Same thing on my Gold Wing..

Yeah.. Gold Wing.. Gotta keep the better half happy when we ride. It's built like a :character00268:, but it's comfy..

#10 ·
Although this is an old thread, I thought I'd mention that I installed an Arrowhead cig style outlet on the bike today. The kit and instructions were good. The supplied wire was the correct length and the install went easily.
I wired to the starter relay and grounded to an unused allen bolt in the frame. I used a 1" hole saw to bore through the fairing and then a file to remove the last 1/8" & notch that was was required. I haven't taken it for a ride yet to see about the vibration issues, but it looks clean and not hokey. I was very worried about cutting the fairing, but it went very easily and I am glad I did it.

Thumbs up on the Arrowhead kit.

#14 ·
Although this is an old thread, I thought I'd mention that I installed an Arrowhead cig style outlet on the bike today. The kit and instructions were good. The supplied wire was the correct length and the install went easily.
I wired to the starter relay and grounded to an unused allen bolt in the frame. I used a 1" hole saw to bore through the fairing and then a file to remove the last 1/8" & notch that was was required. I haven't taken it for a ride yet to see about the vibration issues, but it looks clean and not hokey. I was very worried about cutting the fairing, but it went very easily and I am glad I did it.

Thumbs up on the Arrowhead kit.
Sounds like you are feeling better and your KLR is benefitting from that.

Is the 12V Outlet switched or not?

#11 ·
Zin, keep us posted on that, man. I want to do it soon.

Wanderer, I don't know if he comes on here any more, but if he does...calling Scott R Nelson and his stable of Ducatis! :)

#15 ·
Hey, I REMOVED the outlet that was on my ST2, because it was always in the way when I had to open it up and I never had a reason to use it anyway.

But if I were to need power, I would connect to the Battery Tender plug and just remember to disconnect whenever leaving the bike turned off. Mine comes out on the right side of the frame in the middle on the bikes I've installed them on.

#12 ·
Lockjaw,
Worked out pretty well. Definitely only a 2-3 black & tan type job. Pretty simple. It does shake out over big bumps like everyone says (I also learned that if you jump the bike over bumps you can shuffle your iPod/iPhone automatically), so you really have to consider your purposes. I might have also placed it just a bit differently. But, works fine for me. The kit was about $20, so weigh that against the Powerlet option.

#20 ·
It's interesting that this topic should be resurrected right while I'm trying to find a proper power source for the GPS that I've added to my KTM. For now I'm using the auxiliary power outlet next to the tachometer, but people who know say to get power from the ACC2 fuse on the fuse box, which is right behind the steering stem.

Generally it's a good idea to have a voltmeter to find power sources that are only powered when the key is on. I got a cheap one from Radio Shack for about $15 that has been quite useful. It also helps if you have a wiring diagram for the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.