Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need everyone's help. I have a 2009 KLR. Output shaft seal was leaking. After finally getting the parts in from the dealer I'm having a hell of a time putting it all back together. I installed the 92143 spacer, put in the new O-ring. Installed the new seal flush with the case. The problem comes with the 92027 collar installation. I lubed it, placed it so the 4 notches are inwared, but it doesn't seem to go all the way in. My old collar extended 1/8" out from the seal. The new collar sticks out 5/16". I have gently taped it with a rubber mallet. Attempted to put on the sprocket and snug the nut down and have had no luck. What am I doing wrong or missing? New collar and old collar are the same dimensions. Will the o-ring cause it to bind up? Thanks in advance.

Enjoying a tumbler of fine Pendleton Whiskey while I await answers.

Jon Counsell

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Did you actually Torque the nut to full measure?
I'll suggest that you remove the nut, tab washer, sprocket, collar and the o-ring. Inspect that you haven't already Torn the o-ring.

Now leaving the o-ring OFF, test fit all other parts. How is the fitment without the o-ring?

Maybe polish the taper inside of the collar with some 400 grit emery cloth, and use some silicone di-electric grease on the o-ring & collar for reassembly, instead of just engine oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts