Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I admit I forgot the warning and overfilled. Within about a mile or so it started the sputter/stutter I’ve read about. Pulled the separator and drained the fuel, but the bike is still acting hinky. So what’s the next likely scenario? Am considering pulling the emission system apart and checking it. I’m also intrigued by the possibility of pulling the whole vapor system out. Anyone have the procedure/pics for doing that.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
If you do remove it, be certain to cap the vacuum nipple to the carb and the Elbow ahead of the battery that goes into the clean side of the air box!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will! Before I go into surgery, anything else beside fuel in the separator that could cause those symptoms?

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Over-filling the fuel tank was the immediate last thing done prior to malfunction, so I would not suspect any other reason.

Kawasaki once showed using an aquarium aerator to purge the charcoal canister of raw fuel & excess fumes. As in very low pressure air flow.

Reactions: rcecconi

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Don't really like the idea of leaving gas behind, so the de-Cali modification appeals to me.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Dis-connect all 3 hoses from the charcoal can. Connect low pressure air to the Blue air Inlet nipple and gently purge the canister for an hour or two.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Thanks. Don't really like the idea of leaving gas behind, so the de-Cali modification appeals to me.
You will need a High Quality rubber cap to seal the nipple (which does not go to the fuel cap nipple) on the back of the fuel tank to capture the full tank volume. I can't determine which nipple color, Red or Blue? (Fuel cap must be Vented.)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I performed the Cal-ectomy today and it didn't change anything. Capped off the red from the tank (blue is the cap vent) and the white "T" to the carburetor, but no joy. Wondering if the fuel cap ventilation might be the culprit. Don't know what else it could be. What have you heard/seen?

·
Administrator
8,911 Posts
Try riding it with the gas cap open. If it is better then the umbrella seals are the issue. Could be they got full of fuel and the fuel hasn't evaporated yet. Or maybe it has and left an ethanol residue behind.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I inspected them (umbrella seals) and they were wet, but not sticking. Should they be dry? Ran with the gas cap open and that didn't change anything. Also notice that in the garage holding the throttle at around 4K it would cycle up and down. I added choke and it stabilized. Think it could be a sticky choke?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hmmm I topped mine off regularly. Didn’t think it was a problem. Never had a bike with much in the way of emissions equipment. Now I know why my tank vent started squealing. How high do you recommend filling?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what to tell you because this started when I overfilled, so think you want to ensure you don’t fill past the stand pipe in the tank. I removed the California Evap Emission System, but if din’t fix the problem. Also checked the blue vent lines and the gas cap umbrella valves and it’s still acting up. Seems to clear up a bit adding some choke so more trouble shooting needs to happen...

·
Administrator
8,911 Posts
There is a pinkish vent tube under the seat. Blow into it to make sure it is clear.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, is it a clearish pinkish tube? If so, it’s not clear! Blew into it and it’s stopped up. What’s that tube for? Can’t see the other end and can’t find it in the book. If I suck air through it, there’s some flow, but it’s definitely not clear.

·
Administrator
8,911 Posts
It is the carb bowl vent. You really can't blow through it, but if you sucked on it and didn't get a mouthful of gas then it is probably clear. The Gen 2 bowl vents have a slight dip in the tube and gas can collect there and block the line. Blowing on it will usually bump it around enough to get it to drain. I didn't tell you to suck on it because, well, gas would get in your mouth.

As the bowl empties some air needs to come into the carb bowl. When the float drops and gas comes into the bowl it will displace some air which needs to go out the vent.

A vent blocked with gas may burble a little bit and allow some bubbles to pass back and forth, but the engine will act like it is gas-starved, which it truly is.

You have described symptoms that sound like way too much gas or gas starvation. I'm just trying to tick off some of the easy ones to look at.

If you want to be sure of the vent line, disconnect it from the upper elbow at the carb on the left side. It used to be a grey elbow; I'm not sure what color the new elbows are. If the bike runs better then the vent line is blocked or pinched.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom, you are my hero for the day. Last night (Freudian joke aside) blew that pink tube and I could hear some gurgling in the carburetor. Let it set over night and thought I’d crank her up and see if I could override the issue with the choke. Turns out the bike was running great and didn’t need any help. Running like a top right now... Thanks for the tip.

Rick

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I installed a "T" pointed down in that float bowl vent line right in the middle where gravity can cause it to dip down a little and form a trap. Any gas that might get sloshed out of the bowl into the vent line when the bike is dropped or water that might get splashed in the end of the line can just drain down the "T" leg.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes and I removed the Cal emissions stuff which won't hurt. Thanks again. Was really wondering if I was going to have to start looking at choke/carburetor issues. What a relief.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts