Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 times I've come up from Tijuana to San Diego and had to go through the border traffic (splitting lanes, but still slow) my KLR struggles for power once I hit the freeway on the US side. It feels like it's running out of fuel. If I open the throttle and get going fast the issue passes.

The temperature rises almost to the top, but the fan comes on as it's supposed to. The oil is clean, and no smoking.

Also, the KLR gets a little jumpy at around 4800rpm in 3rd and 4th gear regardless of the temperature.

BTW, I didn't use Mexican gas, although I'm sure it'd be fine anyway.

18,500 mi, 2011 KLR, with thermo-bob 2.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Did you check fluid levels; top off radiator and insure coolant reservoir is at FULL mark?

Sounds like your cooling system is operating as it should; with no coolant boiling, no overheating trauma is likely.

An overly-lean mixture can cause engine heating; you might check of air leaks in the plumbing; insure your "choke" cap is tightly-fastened to your carb.

Then finally, your bike may just prefer things, "Down Mexico Way!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to one of my buddies and he said there's a seal in the carb that could be shot and it s allowing the gas to vaporize in the carb from back flowing heat.

Anyone have insight on that

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Got more info. Problem solved. It's vapor lock.
Yes. My guess is that at low speed and high heat the exhaust pipe gets very hot right under the float bowl heats the gas in the bowl to near boiling. Then when you open the throttle the pressure drop in through the jets causes the fuel to boil and restrict the fuel flow.

In my case I can back off the throttle and it will smooth out and after half a mile or so all is back to normal.

I wrapped some exhaust insulation around the pipe under the float bowl. I think it helped, but I haven't been back in stop-and-go traffic on a hot day since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts