Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some harley badass couple were eye balling my klr in awe i think they were jealous ?? so i speedshifted second and did a lame wheelie. i payed twelve hundred for a better bike than their loud obnoxious poser bike:character00268:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Others' choices in motorcycle makes and models don't anger, threaten, or offend me.

Thus, I don't feel compelled to "defend the honor," or to establish the superiority of the proud and valiant KLR on the street--or even in the barroom.

I ask myself, what would I hope to achieve by such demonstrations, and what would I actually achieve?

But . . . that's just ME.

Maybe I'll get over it . . .

Sorry, gotta go. Hells Angels rumble scheduled tonight.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Jonboyf, I'm with you on despising loud pipes but I don't dislike a brand because it's different that what I'm driving. I've had many "Pirates" (HD owners) come up and show some real interest in my KLR. Many have KLR's or similar parked in their stables. Living in the same county where Harley's are born, I get my share of early morning exhaust notes that'll wake the dead. Still hate it, but unless law enforcement actually starts enforcing the noise laws, nothing will change. Just be happy that your bike cost less to buy, insure, repair, maintain and you can have more than one color in your wardrobe!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't have a problem with Harleys. I just don't care for the attitude from the sheep following newb's. I usually just smile and laugh them off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love Harley's, at a stop light on my Concours

To me Harley embodies everything that is wrong with this country. In 2006 JD Powers reported poor quality and poor customer satisfaction. Harley's reply to this was not to fix the problem but sue JD Power's for loss in revenue. In the late 70's Harley went to the federal government and cried that they could not compete against imports and got a import tariffs on imported bikes. That's why you pay $6000.00 for a new KLR and not $2500.00. Eric Buelle tried to bring Harley in to the 20th century and the leather and chrome mentality shut he down. If I owned a Harley and found I paid to much for a pile of junk, and kept getting my butt handed to me by every kid on 600cc sport bike I wouldn't wave at other riders either. The only thing Harley has to sell is the best motorcycle image on the market. :63a: Remember Harley Davidson is the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise with out the dangerous side effects of speed or performance. :50: If you are a Harley rider quit being a slave to marketing and do some research into why putting one hot air cooled cylinder in front of another hot cylinder isn't a good idea. A one piece conecting rod, push rods valve train, give me a break. Like we would say at the track if it won't run chrome it and make it loud. :character00271: I feel much better now thank you for listening.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I read something about harley riders somewhere that made perfect sense.

Most modern Harley Davidson riders are account managers, salesmen, lawyers, and dentists. They put on leather chaps and vests, little brain buckets, sunglasses, and while the bike is warming up, they are in the bathroom with the electric clippers manicuring their goat-tees and measuring their sideburns. They are guys who want to present an image while they ride (anyone see the movie "Wild Hogs"?). Harley riders today aren't the "Bikers" of the 60's and 70's that were badasses and you were struck with fear if they looked in your direction. Now, they are people just like my dad (who I love dearly) who hit middle age, buy a harley, and all of a sudden, they are a "biker", wearing Harley T-shirts, a wallet with a chain on it, and a doo-rag. My dad was always very concious about how he dressed and how he looked, until he got a harley. Now, he has spent the past 10 years perfecting his "biker" image. He didn't turn into a slob...just wears jeans with a tucked in harley davidson shirt, and a wallet with a chain everywhere he goes. When he isn't driving a Harley in only pristine clear blue skies, he is driving his convertible BMW (my mom's mid-life crisis).

Very rarely do bikers look like this anymore...(with the exception of me in the middle) met these fellas when I was passing thru Oklahoma on my KLR.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To me Harley embodies everything that is wrong with this country. In the late 70's Harley went to the federal government and cried that they could not compete against imports and got a import tariffs on imported bikes. That's why you pay $6000.00 for a new KLR and not $2500.00. Eric Buelle tried to bring Harley in to the 20th century and the leather and chrome mentality shut he down. If I owned a Harley and found I paid to much for a pile of junk, and kept getting my butt handed to me by every kid on 600cc sport bike I wouldn't wave at other riders either. .
The 70s tariff has nothing at all to do with the price of the KLR. Eric Buell was indeed screwed. A Harley Cruiser is not a sport bike. A Jap cruiser will have his butt handed to him by a 600cc sport bike as well. You might as well say that a kid on a 250cc sport bike will waste a KLR....and he will. The Harley is no more a pile of junk than the KLR. How many complaints have we seen about oil burning, doo-hickeys, and on and on? I am early middle aged..oh my god, did I just type that...... You could say that the KLR is my mid life crisis....except I have over 7000 miles on the clock in 4 months of riding. Much of that has been in rain. Before the KLR, I considered a Harley. I also considered a BMW K1100LT, A ST1100, A 600cc SHadow, and a few others. Price was what did me in on the Harley. I did not want a sportster. What I did want was in the mid teens. I came closest to buying the BMW. In my weaker moments, I wonder if I should have. I ride 95% street and 85% trips of 85 miles one way.

A Harley may not be for you, but do not disparage Harleys overall. I have found that many DO wave back. Most are really cool. I have had less obnoxious behavior from them than those riding Ninjas and the like.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Whom do you want to convince of the superiority of your KLR choice, guys; others, or YOURSELVES?

No one must clone your preferences.

Is trash-talking others' rides useful? If so, how? Educates, punishes, humiliates Harley riders for their allegedly foolish choices?

Why judge and condemn the choices of others? What effect is expected, and what effect is realized?

I've read posts whining about Harley riders mocking KLR's; are the books balanced by KLR riders bashing Harleys?

I only ask.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
No one must clone your preferences.

I only ask.
In my case, I make fun of them because I know I confuse them.. I have several Harley riding friends, and they're just as happy to make fun of me and my ADV garb.. "Why do you dress up to look like you're going to war, just to go get the mail at the Post Office, 3 blocks away?":)

When I tell them I dress with all the gear whether I'm going 3 blocks, or 3000 miles, they don't get it..

And as far as cloning, the last thing I want is the Harley Nation to become KLR riders.. Hell, I feel guilty when I go to some motorcycle event and see 14 BMW R1200GS's, just like mine.. Yeah, they're all set up differently, but it's no different than the 14 Ultras in front of a bar..

The last area meet and greet that I went to (we do this almost weekly in the Madison, WI area) had 16 people, and 5 rode in on KLR's... EEEEK!!! Too many like me!!!

I make fun of them because I can.. The do the same to us.. I get it all the time..
Why are you dressed for war??
Why are you in such a hurry??
Why do you search out roads that aren't straight??
Why do you feel that it's not a ride unless you put on 400 miles??
It's not raining, and there's no chance of rain, but you're wearing completely waterproof gear??
Why do you need 20" of suspension travel??
Why do you need more storage capacity than a GoldWing??

It goes on and on.. I enjoy their confusion, and they enjoy us making fun of their "Lifestyle".. Those that don't are shallow idiots who would be shallow idiots no matter what they rode..:animal0009:

They're not our enemy, they're our cousin..

Our enemy is the soccer Mom on the phone, in the SUV that's trying to pay attention to the movie the kids are watching in the back seats, all while turning into the lane you're already in..

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 70s tariff has nothing at all to do with the price of the KLR. Eric Buell was indeed screwed. A Harley Cruiser is not a sport bike. A Jap cruiser will have his butt handed to him by a 600cc sport bike as well. You might as well say that a kid on a 250cc sport bike will waste a KLR....and he will. The Harley is no more a pile of junk than the KLR. How many complaints have we seen about oil burning, doo-hickeys, and on and on?

Well said!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
In my case, I make fun of them because I know I confuse them..
If I understand you correctly, you bash Harleys and their riders (including on this website) in RETALIATION for their mocking of you and your motorcycling. Thus, in your accounting, the books are balanced; two bashes somehow make a right.

You enjoy "confusing" the Harley folk; don't know how many read this KLR-centric website, or how their confusion gives you pleasure. Regardless, if confusion is your purpose in Harley-bashing, thanks for sharing; I asked, you answered; thanks.

Nothing personal; I'm no champion nor defender of things Harley (although pushrod air-cooled V-twin engines give ME no offense), and I abhor loud pipes on all motorcycles ('cept maybe at the track).

Just curious at the motivation for bad-mouthing a particular marque, and genrally mocking its customers.

·
Registered
522 Posts
LoneRider,
In defense of Paper, I think his confusing is limited to a circle of Harley friends. I get the feeling it is a mutual ribbing society. I could be wrong, but do not think I am. I am sure you know how it is with 'the guys.' You always josh each other about...anything.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
LoneRider,
In defense of Paper, I think his confusing is limited to a circle of Harley friends. I get the feeling it is a mutual ribbing society. I could be wrong, but do not think I am. I am sure you know how it is with 'the guys.' You always josh each other about...anything.
Exactly..

Please read my posts in their entirety... I'm not "bashing" them, I'm making fun of them, as they make fun of me.. All in good fun....

If I hated Harley riders, I sure as hell wouldn't be hanging around them, carrying on a conversation.. As I mentioned.. They're FRIENDS!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts