Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through all the threads, and can't find what I'm looking for.

I bought a 2001 KLR650 which came with Afrika panniers. They 'give off' dust/metal dust on everything that I put in the panniers. I've washed them inside out, but the stuff keeps coming back. I would rather not put a liner in there. :(

So the question is: Has anybody ever painted the inside of their pannier? and if so, with what paint, and are there any tips/things to watch out for/stay away from when painting them? :confused:

Thanks. :)

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Bedliner? :)

WWLJD?

T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paint will probably not work. Has not for me. Instead use sticky backed shelf liner. Kind of tricky to get in without some wrinkles, but that is way better than everything in the box getting rubbed black.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
LOL. Can we make bracelets?
Hey, yeah! We can get a bunch of those letter beads and sit around and make them at the next get together!

BBQ, beer, KLRs, guns, and crafting!

I can brig the hemp twine - I have a whole bunch of it that I can donate. It was too hard to keep lit.

Switched to Marks-A-Lot.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I am so down. I have some riding gear I want to bedazzle, too.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Dang, there's a Bedazzler around the house somewhere, I'm sure.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Puffy paint?

(I have gotten this threadjacking thing down to a freaking art form)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unconventional solutions...

Paint will probably not work. Has not for me. Instead use sticky backed shelf liner. Kind of tricky to get in without some wrinkles, but that is way better than everything in the box getting rubbed black.
Dang...would have never thought of using that stuff. Is that what you did with your panniers? If so, could you show me a pic? and/or tell me what to NOT do? :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool...

Ok, I will try that. :)

Do you do the sides first? do you overlap the stuff? How accurate are we trying to be here? Also, did you bother with the bottom of the lid?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much did it end up costing to powder-coat the two panniers?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It cost me $80. then I put the latches back on with stainless steel pop rivets.
That sounds pretty good actually. Did you need a special tool for the rivets? Do you by any chance have a picture of the finished product? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You just drill the old rivets out before you have the powder coating done and then just a normal rivet tool you can buy about any parts store or Sears etc. I went to True Value to get the stainless steel rivets. I really never took any pics after they were done except when they are on the bike and we were on the way to Ak. In which case they were pretty dirty. They look as if they were painted semi gloss black.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That powder coating does look fantastic. What kind of places are able to do that?
Thanks for the pic. I really appreciate that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didin't think the pic loaded so that's a suprise..lol You should be able to look on line for powder coating. There are lots of places out here. I had mine done by a friend of my son's who builds some industrial stoves and does some coating on the side for friends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts