Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the paint scheme on my bike. I've noticed that getting the OEM fairing and cowling is way out of my price range.
Any tips on properly painting the plastics in order to get a paint job that will look professional and last.
Or is there any place where you can order these parts at a reasonable price.
I live in canada so shipping right now would be tricky.
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
What year is your bike? What condition is the are the plastics? I bought a 2005 gen 1 last month that had been repainted because the plastics were pretty oxidized. The previous owner did a poor job and it had runs and cracking paint. If my plastic was in good shape there is no way I would paint it but being that it was in poor shape already, I went ahead and painted it. I took all of the pieces off and tried different methods for different pieces. One thing, if you have stickers, you will see the outline of them under the paint so if this is something you really want to do, you need to remove the stickers. Next, I used a DA sander and sanded everything with 150 grit if I needed to smooth something and finished it with 220 grit. I then primed it (even though people say you do not need to prime plastic). I wet sanded it with 400 or 500 grit (I ran out of 400 and finished with 500) between coats and it came out fairly well. One place that I had problems with was a spot where a sticker had been and I had missed with the sander (the first piece I did I was not as thorough on). The plastic was too smooth there.

I know there are plastics available but they were still more than I wanted to spend and I do not know anything about shipping to Candida. I just got my bike back together today. I still need to make some stencils on my laser and do some finishing touches. I am also going to take the crash bars off, sand blast them, and powder coat them.

I am attaching a picture from this afternoon. Note there were some scratches that I did not sand out because I did not want to make the plastic too thin so I painted over them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts