Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here painted their wheels?
New tires on the way, thought while I'm waiting on them, why not paint the wheels?
any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
post pics when its done .......... could do with a laugh.

seriously though i think it would last about 5 minutes peel off then look awful and its a difficult shape and material to paint well to start off with.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Have seen lots of painted wheels. Haven't done it myself but I'm sure some one here has.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figure scuff the wheels with a red Scotch brite pads or steel wool, clean with acetone, prime w/ self-etching primer, and paint with Krylon Fusion, it will stick to plastic (which will flex) it should stay on the wheel.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I figure scuff the wheels with a red Scotch brite pads or steel wool, clean with acetone, prime w/ self-etching primer, and paint with Krylon Fusion, it will stick to plastic (which will flex) it should stay on the wheel.
Your definitely on the right track, prep is 9/10's of the paint job. Are you going to paint the spokes as well? They would be a little trickier due to the small diameter. I used to paint a lot of aluminum at work and it will stay on if your prep is good. Going for basic black or something more exotic?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, basic flat black, still debating about the spokes, I used steel wool to prep my V- Max when I rattle canned it, just took my time on the prep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a liitle scotch brite all over and a good cleaning with Aceton and paint it with High heat BBQ black rattle can.
30 min top per wheel.
Not sure how long it gonna last,but very easy to touch it up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is the deal with painting the rims. Yes you can do it and yes it will look really really good… for the year… and that’s it. Just put it in your mind that you will need to re-paint every spring….. I have done it 100 times.. This also allows you to change the look of your bike….. Your best bet if you want a permanent look you will want to have them powder coated…… Take pictures and show us what you have done….. Whats the worst that can happen? You need to repaint them ..
Jake

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looks great!
I've painted hubs and spokes but taped off the rims and nipples. I didn't think it would hold up too well on the rims with gravel and tire irons.
The haters said it wouldn't look good or last but it.
On another bike, for a different look I used e-tape on the rims.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every time I fill up!! I just top the tank off slow, and put a finger over the nozzle to block any gas, but I did put quite a few coats of flat clear over the paint. and i have got some drops of gas on it, but no problems so far...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts