Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the California city codes/law for parking with a motorcycle?

I do know it is not permitted in sidewalks, handicap, obvious exit and entry paths but what about wide commercial sidewalks in store or school? parking meters in the front or end(not taking a car's space)? curves? etc.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
To me, common sense dictates that I don't park my motorcycle anywhere in public I wouldn't park my car unless it is an area clearly marked as "Motorcycle Parking Only."

Just because a motorcycle can fit there and the area apparently isn't being used for anything else at the time doesn't mean I can use it as a convenient parking spot for my motorcycle.

If nothing else, it can become a hindrance or danger in the case of an emergency you're unaware of or might entice non-motorcyclists to utter the words, "Oh, he thinks he can just park anywhere, huh?" right before shoving your bike over on its side.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree that you should check with the local jurisdiction. Most of the time unless it is posted, motorcycles would be handled like other autos. The only thing I would double check would be parking in a parallel spot. Some places require you to park parallel to the curb and others would allow you to back into a space more perpendicular.

·
Lifetime Member
2,500 Posts
I don't know anything about parking in California, but here I've often seen hogs parked right up by the doors on the sidewalk at the local Walmart... Look'in all cool with their shiny chrome and leather tassels hanging off the levers. :Tongue2:

I just park in the regular parking lot with the rest of the cars.:HappyRoll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently there is no distinction, here and there you will see some motorcycle parking spaces.
Illegal parking is tolerated at officers discretion.

only thing i found:
CVC § 22502
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, . . . a motorcycle shall be parked with at least one wheel or fender touching the right-hand curb . . .
(e) (1) Upon a one-way roadway, . . . a motorcycle, if parked on the left-hand side, shall have either one wheel or one fender touching the curb . . .
(2) This subdivision does not apply upon a roadway of a divided highway.

And it is not suggested to share metered spaces with other motorcycles :(

thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I park in the normal parking spots, although I do see bikes go right up the walk and park by a store front door etc. I have shared meter sports with bikes before and we have never gotten a ticket as long as the meter was full.

Crash

·
Banned
411 Posts
The Walmarts around here have big green squares painted on the sidewalks under the cantilever specifically made for the parking of motorcycles. We also park right on the sidewalk in front of the Mall doors, it all depends on who is the security guard on duty that day on whether we get a no-no note on our bikes. No one has ever been towed or cited though.:stickpoke:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was thinking what legal problems would bring parking the motorcycle in a non-authorized space and having some kid touching a hot metal (engine or muffler) or even having the motorcycle fall on someone?
Just for that I would park in a designated space in a mall.

I wonder if there has been any kid trying to put a quarter on a sidewalk parked scooter?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Kids & Parked bikes

Was thinking what legal problems would bring parking the motorcycle in a non-authorized space and having some kid touching a hot metal (engine or muffler) or even having the motorcycle fall on someone?
Just for that I would park in a designated space in a mall.

I wonder if there has been any kid trying to put a quarter on a sidewalk parked scooter?
A few years ago, my wife & I were in a restaurant when a mother and her young kid walked by my GoldWing. The kid stopped to look the bike over. ( We were sitting just inside looking out at all this.) His mother made no attempt to stop him when he started to step on the foot peg to get on. That's when my remote ( with horn button ) came into play.
Kid jumped back, his mother finally got the sense to make him go on by.
I try to park away from foot traffic in and out of places. Way to much temptation.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Oh boy, here we go!
I ride down to the local shopping center where a few riding buddies hang out in front of Pete's Coffee. We'll park to the side and back in one spot and get 2, 3, or even 4 bikes in one car space. And a couple of those guys are motor unit riders (cops). But we all have to laugh when someone in a Prius pulls up and drives right over the line and then can't get the door open because the bikes are too close.

Now once in a while I ride over to one of my favorite Starbucks and park on the "walkway" that's about six feet wide an park next to a friends scooter (end to end) because we were both scolded for taking up an entire parking space with a single motorcycle. (Bitchy Middle-aged Woman= BMW) and along comes our Motor unit friend and complains that he can't park "on the sidewalk" because he has to set an example. But he can't write us tickets, because it's "private property" of the shopping center. Only if the property owner complains and asks for enforcement, can they ticket you. But in all reality, they have no jurisdiction on that land.

Walmart-
The local one has one lined section right in front of the parking lot that has spaces for about 6 bikes. Now on any given day, you can find a car in there displaying a handicap placard, or a beat up 90's Ford Exploder with the Virgin Mary on the dash. Again, private property = no ticket.
However, that crowd would push your bike over to get out if you did any blocking of their car.

Downtown City Streets (in Napa) Parking enforcement units will tell you that you have to park the bike in a designated parking spot, or next to one that has ample space in one of those little triangle areas.

Sacramento Downtown (around the Capital)
Extremely bike friendly! Every few blocks there is a designated motorcycle area with 8 spots, and the public lots have bike spaces. AND... the parking spots are large enough to "share" with a car, just add some money to the meter, or you'll both get tickets.

Just my .02 worth.
Ask in your area to be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts