Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm at a crossroads. I picked up a 93 KLR a while back. I thought I'd have the time to restore it and sell it, but I'm just too busy.

It needs a wiring harness, ignition switch, tires, tail light, and an original muffler. Then it will need all the missing plastics. The damn tank has a locking automotive gas cap on it too. Won't twist off, no key.

Part it out? I have no idea what things are worth, and if they would even sell. I guess I'm looking for tips and advice.

Thanks!

Jason

Pics are up!

https://imageshack.com/a/UdVM/1

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You'll probably have no problem selling the engine and the wheels and maybe suspension parts. After that you are left with a lot of bits that may sell but you will have to be patient. I've parted a bike before and probably wouldn't;t go through that hassle again.

Parting it may net you more money than selling the thing outright as it is now. Just depends how much time and work you want to put into it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Again what he said ^^^^^

Not to insult you but it's not worth much at all, pre 96 the cylinders are un bore able to 685 maybe the smaller versions, so that limits your buyers, if the head is identical then you may have some $$$ but only IF it is and I have forgotten if it is.....heads are in high demand after the 08 ordeals of cooking oil bearings.......the wheels if straight and the CDI, voltage rectifier......thats all I would try and sell personally, been there done that......so they you have it.....it depend upon how much you have into it doesn't it.....? Sorry....
:character00201:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Rims, head, rad if in good condition, carb ,maybe forks, CDI, Retifier.......sorry but the rest....get some space ready to keep it a while....unless you want a quick couple hundred over what you paid for it MAYBE....???? Especially below the border, bikes are dirt cheap! I know aggravating, up here I could get far moe for those parts, but hey, it is what it is....sorry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rims, head, rad if in good condition, carb ,maybe forks, CDI, Retifier.......sorry but the rest....get some space ready to keep it a while....unless you want a quick couple hundred over what you paid for it MAYBE....???? Especially below the border, bikes are dirt cheap! I know aggravating, up here I could get far moe for those parts, but hey, it is what it is....sorry.

I'm not looking to make a killing. Just want to recover what I put in it.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You don't have much into it and you would easily get that back for the wheels. If it was mine I'd keep it as an organ donor for a more complete and newer bike. Do you have another KLR beside this one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You don't have much into it and you would easily get that back for the wheels. If it was mine I'd keep it as an organ donor for a more complete and newer bike. Do you have another KLR beside this one?

I have a complete 2003. It's all decked out with full cogent suspension, jet kit, lex muffler, renthal bars, brand new plastics, seat concepts seat, d606 tires, and only 12,000 miles :)

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
There ya go. Spare carb, spare everything (mostly)

Another approach is to sell a coupla high ticket items (engine for 3-400),
or the wheels n' tires, and keep the rest of the bike for yourself, and occasionally
dumping off a few parts.

Possibly sell the whole lot for 500?

You have choices, and I wouldn't know what to keep or sell either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts