Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me still being a novice to chain driven bikes as I've had my klr for a little over three weeks I'm over the 500 mile mark and probably should lube/protect my chain.
I've seen lots of folks here using wd40 but have heard mixed things on using the wd.
Has anyone here used PB Blaster? I was thinking of their multi max or I have a can of their white lithium spray grease?
They both say for "chains" but unsure of what their definition of chain is.
Just seeing if anyone out here has used before and what y'all think.

Just watched fortnines youtube channel and the episode of "chain lubricants" so am also skeptical of companies that sell "motorcycle chain lubricant"
As always will be continuing to search here but figured I'd ask about the PB Blaster as I havent found much

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
No idea on PB blaster but I'm in the camp that believes a sealed chain doesn't require lube and that WD is all thats needed to clean and provide corrosion protection. WD has been proven to be kind to O rings (let me know if you want me to dig up the link) and since Bill got 40,000 miles on his stock chain using nothing else, all contrary opinions seem to be debunked. As far as the Fortnine video (which I typically love) goes, their measurement criteria wasn't weighted the same as mine would be - most of the lubes they found to be good make way too much of a mess for me to bother with. I have and sometimes do, use dedicated chain lube like Maxima or PJ1 and IMO, they are much better than the "non chain lubricant" choices if you decide you prefer to use lube.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've not heard of anyone using PB blaster and I've heard of using spray White Lithium grease in a pinch, but I'm in the WD-40 camp too. I use it exclusively and my chains and sprockets usually get about 25K miles - though the sprockets are kind of worn by then, the chain has plenty of life left. More importantly, it's good for washing all the grit out of your chain, you can find it everywhere, and it's relatively cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've used Kerosene and a "Grunge Brush" to clean my chains for a long time and like it a lot. After I clean the chain with kerosene I take a air compressor and an air pistol to dry off the kerosene before lubing. When I was very young I used to remove the chain from my Yamaha 400YZ dirt bike and soak it in kerosene for a day. A lot of years ago I was a real addict for PJ1 for both my road bike and race bike. However, I continually had issues with how sticky it was and how much small gravel would adhere to the chain making it very hard to clean when needed. Years later I started using Maxima Chain Wax from a recommendation of a BMW mechanic and haven't looked back. Now, Maxima Chain Wax will collect road grime like any chain lube but it's far easier to clean from the chain. I couldn't recommend using a solvent such as WD on a chain. Solvents can be harsh on O-rings or X-rings. A little too extreme and harsh for me to apply a solvent, but that's just me. Take it for what it's worth and I hope this helps.

Lemmy from Revzilla can walk you through cleaning and lubing chains.

Reactions: Hiitsnickhanley

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow awesome thanks everyone!! This sight is awesome! I shall put some wd 40 in the tool kit for trips, as for now I just have some non chlorinated brake cleaner to clean and found some liquid wrench chain lube for protectant. Now off to clean and lube my first chain without a center stand or lift... boy this will fun and not messy at all

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welp you win some you lose some...
Looks like I'll just use wd40 from now on🤣🤣🤣 this stuff made an absolute mess after riding for 30-40 mins
Cleaned the chain, lubricated wiped off access let dry an hour wiped again, then rode and looked for splat and it's all over the bottom of bike near the shifter in and underneath bottom engine guard swing arm.
🤦‍♂️

Edit- mayb I should have let dry overnight?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I guess I’ll throw in my two bits. I’ve been a believer in using some kind of chain lube for as long as I’ve been riding. But it’s hard to argue with the results of a controlled test using only WD40.

I see how that works: the WD40 doesn’t build up sticky crap that holds dirt and grit and causes the chain rollers and sprockets to wear. And it does a reasonable job of reducing surface corrosion. Without the abrasive goo, the chain and sprockets last a long time. I know it’s old habit, but I just have a hard time running a naked chain. So I switched to the Maxima Chain Wax. I don’t know this for sure, but I expect that the wax doesn’t pick up and hold dirt and grit either. Anyway, if I don’t get at least 25Kmi from my current chain and sprocket set, I’ll switch to plain WD40 too. Or maybe some dry silicone spray.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Several (not all) of the wd40 -only camp seem to be in the dry desert southwest. I've been pondering the implications of this method in the wet and muddy southeast.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I couldn't recommend using a solvent such as WD on a chain. Solvents can be harsh on O-rings or X-rings. A little too extreme and harsh for me to apply a solvent, but that's just me.
Lemmy from Revzilla can walk you through cleaning and lubing chains.
I like the Maxima too and Kerosene is probably the best choice for cleaning the chain - but WD works and I always have it on hand and the spray can makes life easier. As far as WD's negative affects on O-rings; Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results

There are many choices and there is a trade off between cost, chain life, mess, etc. ......depends on your preferences. I would not use PB Blaster.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
PB BLASTER makes many different chemicals, including chain lubes.

How good or poor they are at their suggested tasks are anyones guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PB BLASTER makes many different chemicals, including chain lubes.

How good or poor they are at their suggested tasks are anyones guess.
Good call; I've only seen/used their penetrant before. If the OP is talking about their chain lube, I take back my comment about not using PB Blaster

Dave
Yes I was talking about their other products.
They do not reccomend their chain lube for motorcycles only light duty chains, they also have a product called corrosion stop which I don't think lubricates(but chains are already internally lubed right?) And then multi they have MultiMax which competes against wd40 as it seems to be the same makeup.

Anywho instead of getting a headache and doing multiple trial and errors I've decided to just march into the wd40 camp.
"If it ain't broke dont fix it"
-Someone..

·
Registered
8 Posts
So me still being a novice to chain driven bikes as I've had my klr for a little over three weeks I'm over the 500 mile mark and probably should lube/protect my chain.
I've seen lots of folks here using wd40 but have heard mixed things on using the wd.
Has anyone here used PB Blaster? I was thinking of their multi max or I have a can of their white lithium spray grease?
They both say for "chains" but unsure of what their definition of chain is.
Just seeing if anyone out here has used before and what y'all think.

Just watched fortnines youtube channel and the episode of "chain lubricants" so am also skeptical of companies that sell "motorcycle chain lubricant"
As always will be continuing to search here but figured I'd ask about the PB Blaster as I havent found much
Open cold one. After cleaning, I use 80wt gear oil. Have a couple rags, apply the oil w a clean paint brush, rotating the chain slowly, let sit for 10 mins and then lightly wipe excess. Good to go.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always have it on hand and the spray can makes life easier.
Dave
Not posting to push anyone's buttons. Plastic spray bottles don't make life that difficult (in addition, you can adjust the spray nozzle from a stream to a fine mist whichever you prefer). As for a mess? I place a couple old rag towels and a rag t-shirt or two under the chain on whatever motorcycle I'm working on to catch the Kerosene residue. Hang out the old towels and/or t-shirts to dry and the Kerosene will dissipate. Guess I don't feel it too much of a mess or an inconvenience but that's just me.

Multi function spray bottles you can obtain most any place in order to apply Kerosene for chain cleaning. Pretty straight forward for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
If one was to clean their chain in the car wash bay, it would all go 'down the drain'!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Not posting to push anyone's buttons. Plastic spray bottles don't make life that difficult (in addition, you can adjust the spray nozzle from a stream to a fine mist whichever you prefer). As for a mess? I place a couple old rag towels and a rag t-shirt or two under the chain on whatever motorcycle I'm working on to catch the Kerosene residue. Hang out the old towels and/or t-shirts to dry and the Kerosene will dissipate. Guess I don't feel it too much of a mess or an inconvenience but that's just me.

Multi function spray bottles you can obtain most any place in order to apply Kerosene for chain cleaning. Pretty straight forward for me anyway. View attachment 27469
Fair enough; it all depends on how you define "easier" and what value you place on using kerosene vs. WD40......so to be clear, I think that WD40 does an adequate job of cleaning and preventing rust on my chains (which is all they need as sealed chains don't require "lube"). Kerosene may be (and probably is) a bit better but that small amount of better isn't worth the effort for me to buy Kerosene, some re-usable bottles, fill them and store them.......I always have WD40 on hand as I use if for many other tasks so it's just far more convenient for me....and well, I'm pretty lazy. ;-)

My "mess" comment wasn't aimed at Kerosene, but rather most lubes, oil, gear oil, etc.

Nothing wrong with using Kerosene but I think that the idea that WD damages rubber or o rings is an urban myth that has been disproven many times....the link I posted from ADV rider above is one source, the 40,000 miles that Bill got using WD 40 exclusively on his stock chain is another; more than enough for me to be comfortable using it.

Kerosene, a nylon brush and Maxima chain lube is probably as good as it gets and I have a can of the Maxima Chain Wax on my shelf currently (which I admit to using if I'm going on a long offroad ride).....but I'm OK with my "lesser" methods as I like the convenience, lack of mess and I can live with getting 25,000 or so out of my chain

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nothing wrong with using Kerosene but I think that the idea that WD damages rubber or o rings is an urban myth that has been disproven many times....the link I posted from ADV rider above is one source, the 40,000 miles that Bill got using WD 40 exclusively on his stock chain is another; more than enough for me to be comfortable using it.

Kerosene, a nylon brush and Maxima chain lube is probably as good as it gets and I have a can of the Maxima Chain Wax on my shelf currently (which I admit to using if I'm going on a long offroad ride).....but I'm OK with my "lesser" methods as I like the convenience, lack of mess and I can live with getting 25,000 or so out of my chain

Cheers,
Dave
Below is Ari's, from Motorcyclist MC Garage, take on the subject that I'm sure you'll enjoy. His video is not the definitive answer on using WD40 on a motorcycle drive chain but some will like it. He agrees with using WD40 for cleaning but not lubricating a motorcycle chain. To me this subject parallels the question "What oil should I use in my motorcycle?" You can get hundreds of different answers. Depending on the way the wind is blowing the day this question is asked then answered may or may not match one's own idea of just what oil should be used. 😂

1 - 20 of 40 Posts