Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
Below is Ari's, from Motorcyclist MC Garage, take on the subject that I'm sure you'll enjoy. His video is not the definitive answer on using WD40 on a motorcycle drive chain but some will like it. He agrees with using WD40 for cleaning but not lubricating a motorcycle chain. To me this subject parallels the question "What oil should I use in my motorcycle?" You can get hundreds of different answers. Depending on the way the wind is blowing the day this question is asked then answered may or may not match one's own idea of just what oil should be used. 馃槀

Yep, I agree with everything he said......except you don't need to lube an O ring chain (again, not to sound like a broken record, but Bill's testing proved that beyond any reasonable doubt IMO). That said, I believe that you may be able to extend the life of your chain and sprockets by using a good chain lube......but it's just not worth the mess for me and the cost of a chain and sprocket set every few years isn't a big deal for my usage.... Bill even opined that the savings in chain lube would likely pay for a new chain and sprockets ;-) If I commuted 50 miles a day on my KLR's, I may be more inclined to try to optimize the life of those components. This all reminds me of the Scott Oiler that resides in my spare parts bin.....what a mess maker that thing was!

I don't think the "to use or not use a chain lube on an O ring chain" question really has a right answer. The one FACT out of all this is that WD40 will not harm your chain or O rings.

Cheers,
Dave

Registered
I would think the manufacturers have tested chain lubes extensively. They must have endurance testing data. Has anyone ever seen a reference to it?

Premium Member
I would think the manufacturers have tested chain lubes extensively. They must have endurance testing data. Has anyone ever seen a reference to it?
bike manufacturers, chain manufacturers or lube manufacturers?

I've never seen a bike manufacturers' test on lube and I'd question the unbiased nature of a chain lube company's testing. Fortnine did a third party test but they applied metrics/criteria that won't weigh the same for everyone. Actual endurance testing in real world conditions would be very difficult to do in any meaningful way due to the vastly different chains/bikes/usage/etc....

Dave

Premium Member
How many of you actually replace your drive chain after it has worn 2% in added length?

Registered
Kind of hard to get too excited about time consuming chain maintenance or messy unnecessary chain lubes when you can just replace for $90.

Registered
Even in the 60's.....the non-o-ring days .... I was a chain maintenance freak . My enduro bikes and my street bikes never required chain replacements. We cleaned with kerosene and lubed with leftover engine oil. Sometimes USED engine oil if new wasn't handy. Doing it OFTEN was the key back then . One day I saw a mechanic at the Honda shop heating something in a pot . He melted parafin and then mixed motor oil with it and then drug his chain through the mix and hung it up to dry. He may have been the first "anal" person I knew before "anal" was a personality trait. I have been "behind bars" ...and "on the chain gang " for many years and seen lots of ways to perform love and care for chains. I still enjoy hearing all the opinions.

Registered
One day I saw a mechanic at the Honda shop heating something in a pot . He melted parafin and then mixed motor oil with it and then drug his chain through the mix and hung it up to dry. He may have been the first "anal" person I knew before "anal" was a personality trait.
Sounds like that Honda mechanic was on to something. Nowadays you don't need the pot or the heat to use the Paraffin, Maxima put it in a spray can. Works pretty nice for me, I like it. That's just the way I roll, literally.

Reactions: DPelletier

Registered
That's what I use . And the Maxima chain cleaner is my favorite too.

Reactions: KBear

Administrator
I still wax my bicycle chains in a mix of solid paraffin and paraffin oil. I keep it in a small crockpot. When I have four dirty chains I put the fifth and sixth chains on the bikes, fire up the pot, throw the chains in the ultrasonic, dip the chains one-by-one, hang them to cool, then fold them up and put them back into their CD cases. I clean the ultrasonic and let the crockpot cool and put it all away. I change chains every couple of weeks. Three chains per bike is a lifetime supply. It only takes a couple of hours.

On the motorcycle, I spray the chain down with WD-40 after every ride and wipe it with a rag. Chains and sprockets last at least 20K miles. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Reactions: DPelletier

Premium Member
An older rider, many years ago, told me he used bees wax & 90W gear oil in his hot pot, back in the 60's & 70's.

I find the Maxima Chain Wax to be too gummy on the o-rings, for my "failure to clean" habit.

So I prefer to use the Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard 3 times & then the fourth time I drown it with WD40. I'm lazy.

Registered
Very interesting to hear of someone using the melted paraffin after all these years. I clean and lube all my chains so often there is no chance for gumminess. Yes, I'm anal , but old age and retirement allows that.

Administrator
Beeswax is good for a lot of stuff; I use it in a lube for certain bullets. It does make a good ingredient for chain lube, but gear oil is just too stinky.

Are toilet rings still beeswax? I always found them to be the most economical source of beeswax for the average urban dweller.

There's no way I could remember to count to four.

Administrator
...but old age and retirement allows that.
They allow many useless and idle pursuits that lead to great happiness. I am the poster child for useless and idle.

Premium Member
I do hope that you don't have to resort to using Used toilet rings to get good bees wax, Tom. ;)

Administrator
No, they don't come up that often...

Registered
O.K. ....EAR WAX ......who uses ear wax ? C'mon , I know somebody has an ear wax story . I retired from the marine upholstery and canvas work in Florida. ( a hundred years ago) We made tops and side curtains and we installed the big YKK zippers . We sold zipper wax but I recommended bar soap to my customers. Regular bath soap. Easy to apply , lubed well and washed away completely during regular cleaning. Someone needs to invent something similar for chains. I tried the Motul chain lube in a tube with a brush applicator tip. Messy nightmare that I now loan to enemies . I had high hopes .

Administrator
There are few things that upset me more than outfits that make stuff and don't put YKK in. I have ranted about that before. Not surprising, what have I not ranted about?

Once you're gone on about zippers and urinals there's pretty much nothing left.

Reactions: pdwestman

Registered
We sold zipper wax but I recommended bar soap to my customers. Regular bath soap. Easy to apply , lubed well and washed away completely during regular cleaning.
Saw a life hack somewhere that recommended using lip balm on stubborn zippers. Maybe in a pinch you could use Blistex on a motorcycle chain.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts