Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
That pretty much mirrors what happened on my '09 with a dusted piston (and a badly distorted set of rings).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The bubble got smaller overnight. This is quite encouraging. Will keep riding and closely watching. Maybe some longer trips this summer without towing an oil trailer will still be possible!

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Paul has noted that there can be some oil that is kept out of the sump if the engine stops with the piston closer to top dead center as opposed to bottom dead center.

The crank pin has an oil passageway that comes from the center of the crankshaft. If the piston stops in the upward direction then the oil that is in the filter cavity cannot drain through that passageway and into the sump. Your over-night oil readings can vary according to the crank's stopped position.

I can't remember how much oil it is, but it is something to keep in mind. If you want to be precise about repeatability of the sight glass readings then the crank should be stopped in the same position every time. That's a bit of a PITA as it requires removing the two plastic caps in the alternator cover and turning the crank. If the sight glass reading '1/2 full' then it may not be discernable but it could make the difference between a wee bubble and no bubble.

@pdwestman, do you recall the amount that is held back if the crank is at TDC?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Tom I had read that too as far at the plus/minus of where the cranks stops. I’m not that precise. Just in range and top half of glass is good enough for me. Oil usage will be equally as imprecise. Just want to keep track of what’s used and keep a running tab really. On trips at stops I just make sure it’s in the window around half.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Gotcha. Just to get it down, though, I made some measurements and did some math.

The filter element displaces 40cc. The filter cavity has a volume of 150cc. The filter, then, should hold back 110cc. I'm not accounting for the oil that would be in the cap itself becasue there aren't any readily available caps in the Shop of Horrors without getting a ladder out. I'd guess another 15-20cc.

If the piston is at BDC the top half of the filter should drain quickly, so ~50cc. The remainder should drain back through the pump and through the gap in the filter cap over a considerably longer period of time. Overnight oughta do it.

If I recall correctly, the sight glass, top to bottom, represents about a liter. If I'm right on that, then a complete drain back of the filter would change the sight glass by 10%.

More semi-useless shit people don't really need to know.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I will suggest that the amount contained in the oem oil filter cavity will vary between 2 - 4 ounces depending upon BDC vs TDC of the rod pin and parked on the side stand. I estimate the oil filter cavity to hold about 8 ounces total.

When parked on a center stand with oem filter cavity, the contained volume will be zero when crank stops near BDC, because of the few thousands clearance between filter cap & clutch cover bore. Of course dependant on tempurature and time parked.

When crank stops near TDC and parked on center stand the cavity may retain 4 - 6 ounces of oil.

If I Recall Correctly.

PS, I recon that I've always over-estimated the oil filter cavity capacity then. But then the Newer models have a smaller diameter cavity than the older models, which was part of what spurred me to modify the inlet. Remember the 1990 vs 2006 pic?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tom, not useless at all and I’m like you and just like knowing things........
But you guys take the cake on these bikes! I’ll keep track and keep riding. Having a ball on it so far.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Paul, I went to that picture and used the 2.3" diameter and the filter's length (2.2") to approximate the length. I dunked a perfectly good Gen-U-Wine Kawasaki filter in a beaker of water to get the amount of oil it would displace. It's drying out now...

The overall guesstimate is about approximately almost 4 3/8 ounces or 130ish cc, plus or minus some, if you include the cap. As you point out, not all of that will necessarily drain out due to the lean angle. More on a Gen 2 and less on a Gen 1? ;^)

Next time I change the oil I'll measure what remains.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Just askin' . . . doesn't the Owner's Manual dictate different volumes for oil changes, with and without filter exchange? If so, KAWASAKI has spoken! The official position MUST be correct! :)

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
I have an 08, oil burning isn't an issue even though I'm running 5w30 synthetic. I'Il add maybe a cup per 500 miles.
That inconsistency is what drives KLR owners Insane!!

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Just askin' . . . doesn't the Owner's Manual dictate different volumes for oil changes, with and without filter exchange? If so, KAWASAKI has spoken! The official position MUST be correct! :)
Lessee here then whattawegot?

From the 2008 Owners Manual:

300cc? That's like telling me that I wear a size 16 shoe just like Shaq. Exceptin' I can look at my feet and know better. That's oil filter capacity like an FL-1A, the greatest filter ever made.

From the 2015 Owners Manual:

That seems about right. 100cc pretty well jives with what the oil filter cavity looks like and measures like. Bummer about the loss of oil capacity in the sump, though. I wonder where it went.

Probably taken up by the sixth gear...

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
will be following this closely. my 08 burned oil and i just went for the 692 kit. does kawasaki admit a problem even exist?
The KLR650 engine is very close to the bore & stroke of a 318 CID Dodge V8.

How much oil would have a 318 Dodge or 327 Chevy engine burned at 5000 - 6500 rpm per 1000 miles?
Ok, we all know those stock engines wouldn't have even lasted a 1000 miles at those rpms. So, how much oil burn at 4500 - 5000 rpm? Is that continuous rpm still to high for a 4.00 bore x 3.25 stroke to survive a 100,000 + miles?

One needs to remember that the KLR600 & 650 engines were designed during the 55 MPH nation wide speed limit. Yet they been proven to survive to over 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry fellas, haven’t forgotten about this. Just been busy, was gone for 4 days delivering an airplane. Just haven’t ridden much. Only about another 100 miles. Will be riding 3-400 more this weekend, all highway. Haven’t added any all yet. Will see how it does this weekend. Hoping for more good results!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A week long airplane delivery trip and a week and a half trip to see my GF, I haven’t ridden much. Finally home and been riding back and forth to work and errands. So far have a little over 500 miles, all highway (55-75), and have added no oil. That was the sight glass this morning. Started this just barely covering the whole glass. And since I have the stock exhaust on it I’m riding it harder as I don’t have the noise I had with the lexx. So still very happy with the oil mods. Supposed to ride with a friend this weekend. 300 round trip to his place plus whatever we end up riding. Will post results after the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Had a wonderful 2 days of riding this weekend! Some burning up the highway to get there, and some trails and backroad exploring totaling almost 500 miles. 300 were the same almost 300 miles on the highway to get to Springfield and back at 65-75 mph. Then 180 of back roads, glade top state park with trails, off road and 2 lane highways, which also was my best mpg since I’ve owned it at 48.5.
Total mileage to date since oil change and oil mods is 1016. This engine acts like it has rings one day and none the next! I added some oil twice this weekend. And just added enough to keep a tiny air bubble. So in 1000 miles I’ve used about 2/3 qt. Used very little first 500 and most of it this weekend. Still very much a net gain, but ridden the same way on the same stretch of highway it burn little, and sometimes quite a bit. Still happy with the results and will keep monitoring and updating here. Also turned over 40,000 total this weekend. She still starts and runs perfectly fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sorry for the lack of updates. I reached my 2000 mile oil change with the mods installed this weekend. Due to work and am ailing family member, I haven’t done as much exploring, back road and off road riding as planned. But I enjoy riding it so much I don’t care if it’s been 90/10 highway lately. Engine still runs just fine and at 2000 miles, I used a total of a 1.8 qts added. Which is more than acceptable for me at this stage. I have the Arkansas TAT planned for first week of October, and I’ll be riding it every chance I can till the end of riding season here in MO. Hopefully several thousand miles. This oil change was to Rotella T6. Found a gallon on sale for about the price of regular T4. Will keep tabs on this run as well. More updates soon. But still very pleased with the mod results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Another update. Been riding the bike a lot. Not “adventuring” like I’d planned. But 90-95% on the highway to work and home and trips to my mom’s of 300 miles. It’s not burning the T6 nearly as quickly. Just put some in to the top of the glass again. Still have several ounces left in the first fill quart of oil. Total miles since the change a few weeks ago, 1204. I’d say it’s gone from a quart per 1000 with T4 to a quart in 1300 of nearly all highway use. No changes to the engine made and still runs great. Probably put another 1000 or 2 before the season ends and can gear it down for the 685 kit. Put a total of almost 6000 on it since I started riding it in April.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looooooooooooong overdue update of any kind and for that I apologize. Busy work schedule, a sick mom I’ve been helping, and not a lot of free time. But I have managed to ride the bike a lot. And it’s still going strong. I went back to T4 oil as it’s cheaper and just let it burn. Rode it New Year’s Day for about 100 miles of backroading and conservation roads to cross the 45,000 mile mark. I bought it with 36k and started this thread with 38k-ish. With regular T4 and 85/15 highway/off road I’ve still not gotten any worse that 1 qt per 1000 miles. Some segments have gotten worse for a short time like the day we ran part of the Arkansas TAT, ended up a lot farther from home that expected and had to hammer it for 3-4 hours at 75-80 to get home on the interstate, but the average is still 1000-1200 miles per quart. The bike in my 8400 miles this year has been absolutely boringly reliable. Keep it gassed and oil in the top half of the sight glass, and go. Zero anything wrong. It hasn’t shown any signs of getting worse in that 8400 miles either as far as oil burn and seemed to drop and stabilize after Paul’s oil mods. And when I did the oil mods, I was still learning this bike, I ride it harder now than in the beginning.
We’ve had a warm winter so I still haven’t pulled it down for the 685 kit the PO already bought and gave me. But soon........ supposed to be in the 50’s all week here in Missouri, so I’m guessing I’ll ride it some more. Having too much fun with it to stop just yet.
At this time, bike is due for a 2000 mile oil change in about 400 miles. I’ve used 1 1/4 qts so far this last run. I think it would keep right on going at this pace for quite a while. But she’ll get a 685 soon so next year I won’t have to fret over it as much.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts