Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -
I'm new around here and really like the idea of using Pelican 1550's as removable side cases. But I can't find any plans or ideas for the hardware to mount them. I assume it would be along the lines of the brackets used to mount aluminum cases.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link - and the Dosko's are more reasonable than Pelicans. But I'm having trouble thinking of a solid yet quickly detachable mounting system that will take rough use. On the packrat website, the photo with the case open doesn't show any bolts or rivets protruding through the bottom of the case, and I would not trust epoxy over 1000 long jolting miles. Doesn't anyone make a bracket/latch system? What have other people done, other than buy the Caribou system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo. That's what the Dr. ordered. Many thanks. Along this line, what are the real benefits of hard luggage as opposed to soft panniers? I haven't done any significant long distance touring, but to my mind it seems that a long road trip to (say) Alaska would be the place for hard luggage (impact resistance and ultimate weather proofness) whereas a trip in really rough country like Baja or similar might be better served with soft luggage, although this is just a gut feeling. If I was laying my bike down a couple of times a day (or an hour) I can't imagine hard luggage and racks holding up under the abuse, where soft bags would just take it and keep on going. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks for the help and expertise.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Seems like I remember a post within the past week or so of someone talking about some racks that are pretty much indestructable. I think with those along with the good hard plastic cases damage would be minimal if any.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I am working on exactly that same set up right now.

I found the link to the PackRat Pelican system very interesting. I bought a rack from PackRat but had Mark modify it for the Pelican box. He has since taken this further although I would prefer my rack over the current one. Looks to me that he is bolting the boxes on which I don't like.

I want something that is easily removed. I made an "h" shaped bracket from aluminum and bolted them to the boxes. I am still trying to resolve the upper mount with some type of a latching/lock system. I just returned from a week long trip with my boxes mounted. The "h" brackets worked perfectly and I just used a heavy wire tie through the Pelican case handle and to the KLR rack to hole the bag on at top. I could still access the cases when on the bike and at the end of the day I snipped the tie and took them off.

Here's a picture of the PackRat custom rack. I'll take a picture of my Pelican box later today.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I just looked closer at the PackRat system. It isn't clear how the cases are attached to the bike and that is a detail people want to see. It is mentioned that the cases can be taken off in two minutes. That's fine if they are empty but it's a major pain if you have to take your stuff out of the boxes to loosen bolts.

On my trip I was carrying the clothing in my Pelicans. At the end of the day I removed them and we went into the motel and lived out of them. My son has a rack with Mermite boxes which are not easily removed. We carried our emergency parts and tools in them and wrapped cable locks around them for the night.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Here is a picture of the "h" bracket I am using on my Pelican boxes. I slip the bottom over the Packrat lower frame and use a 1/4" bolt to keep the box from lifting up. The brackets are a little tall right now until I resolve my upper mount.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Coincidentally here is a picture of a new rack that my brother and I developed and that I will be putting on to the bike my son rides, replacing the Mermite cans/rack combo. (Those will be for sale). We built these racks out of aluminum conduit.

We based it some what on the old style PackRat with the intention of using Pelican boxes. My brother had his mounted when we were on this trip. He is having similar issues as me with the upper mount. What he did was covered the tubing with some vinyl hose and then for a lower mount he used a length of aluminum door pull material which tightly clamped to the rack. Worked very well.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Sorry for the hijack and throught the editing process I ended up with two posts of our rack.

Coincidentally here is a picture of a new rack that my brother and I developed and that I will be putting on to the bike my son rides, replacing the Mermite cans/rack combo. (Those will be for sale). We built these racks out of aluminum conduit.

We based it some what on the old style PackRat with the intention of using Pelican boxes. My brother had his mounted when we were on this trip. He is having similar issues as me with the upper mount. What he did was covered the tubing with some vinyl hose and then for a lower mount he used a length of aluminum door pull material (commercial type pull you find on doors at the mall) which tightly clamped to the rack. Worked very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Packrat rack

Hi, does your tire ever hits the back part of the rack that goes around the plate? Thanks.

I am working on exactly that same set up right now.

I found the link to the PackRat Pelican system very interesting. I bought a rack from PackRat but had Mark modify it for the Pelican box. He has since taken this further although I would prefer my rack over the current one. Looks to me that he is bolting the boxes on which I don't like.

I want something that is easily removed. I made an "h" shaped bracket from aluminum and bolted them to the boxes. I am still trying to resolve the upper mount with some type of a latching/lock system. I just returned from a week long trip with my boxes mounted. The "h" brackets worked perfectly and I just used a heavy wire tie through the Pelican case handle and to the KLR rack to hole the bag on at top. I could still access the cases when on the bike and at the end of the day I snipped the tie and took them off.

Here's a picture of the PackRat custom rack. I'll take a picture of my Pelican box later today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is a link that showed how I used the Motech Evo rack from Twisted Throttle to mount Pelican 1550's. The quick release feature of the rack allows you to pop off the cases within about 20 seconds. You can keep the cases in your garage if just riding around town and don't need the cases, then attach them again when preparing for a trip. Very practical and convenient.

http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/xx350/kpacman/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts