Registered
60 Posts
the only signs we have in New York are like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about putting one of those KLR roundel stickers on the sign but don't really wanna give us a bad name.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
Have some of those signs here in WY also.
Terry, Ya had me inspecting the sign post veerryy carefully for an ORV sticker.

Thats still a road. Not a TRAIL. Not even a 4x4 road, yet.
pdwestman

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pics Justjeff, I take it they weren't taken last week! It's been a few years since I had French, but please tell me that Lac la Biche is not translated as "B**ch Lake"

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
pdwestman
It may be a road at the beginning (part of old Rte 66) but it turns into whatever you want it to be, from smooth dirt to nasty wicked rock piles to mud to downed trees to avoiding elk. Everything past this sign is a forest service "road" and some are unpassable in anything bigger than a quad with 4wd and a winch.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Great pics Justjeff, I take it they weren't taken last week! It's been a few years since I had French, but please tell me that Lac la Biche is not translated as "B**ch Lake"
LOL!!
The more literal translation is Deer Lake or Lake of Deer, biche being a female deer or doe. We residents do use your translation on occasion....but YOU can't!
That road including the Old Conklin Trail is about 120miles and takes about 3to4 hours depending on conditions. It is not technically open in the summer and is only maintained in winter as a winter road for logging and oilfield traffic. It starts about 20 miles from where I live. Lots of trails. lots of lakes and camping in the area.
Regards ....justjeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
Terry, Ya had me inspecting the sign post veerryy carefully for an ORV sticker.

pdwestman
That pic of the sign was posted by 19willys51. The one I've seen here is between Alcova and the Miracle Mile if your familiar with that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perfect KLR Sign

LOL!!
The more literal translation is Deer Lake or Lake of Deer, biche being a female deer or doe. We residents do use your translation on occasion....but YOU can't!
That road including the Old Conklin Trail is about 120miles and takes about 3to4 hours depending on conditions. It is not technically open in the summer and is only maintained in winter as a winter road for logging and oilfield traffic. It starts about 20 miles from where I live. Lots of trails. lots of lakes and camping in the area.
Regards ....justjeff
JJ, Google-mapped Lac La Biche Alberta Canada and what an interesting neighborhood. I see a route 881 that heads north all the way to a Lake Galoot. are those winter roads way up there? (assuming they are all swamp in the summer) and are there any ridable roads that far north? Where does the Old Conklin road connect to Lac La Bich? :55:would love to visit.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
JJ, Google-mapped Lac La Biche Alberta Canada and what an interesting neighborhood. I see a route 881 that heads north all the way to a Lake Galoot. are those winter roads way up there? (assuming they are all swamp in the summer) and are there any ridable roads that far north? Where does the Old Conklin road connect to Lac La Bich? :55:would love to visit.
Hi Swaneez!
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Work is hell! Highway 881 runs north from LLB to nearly Ft Mc Murraywhere it meets HIghway 63.which also is a North/South route. Both are paved Highways.
The pictures I posted were of each end of the Old Conklin Road with the picture of the sand hole roughly in the middle. This road runs roughly parallel to Hwy 881 to Conklin, roughly half way between Lac La Biche and FT Mc Murray. It is a sand, dirt, gravel road used mainly for logging and oilfield access in the winter. In the summer it is passable though not maintained. The dirt sections are clay and very slippery when wet. The road winds through some beautiful Northern Boreal forest with many lakes along the way. Though many winter roads are swamp, the O.C.R. Is highgrade and remains solid, year round.
I have not traveled north of Ft.McMurray But both Hwy 881 and 63 are paved, high traffic, dangerous roads with many deaths each year. I prefer to stay off them whenever possible. Give me the dirt trail any time!! There are many of those in the area I haven't explored yet.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picture from someone I know riding the Puppydog route in VT

I beg to differ!! My GPS could not be more accurate! What a great pic, thanks for posting, massklr!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks JJ, I really love the far north, did some canoeing in northern Man, the Nelson and Hayes Rivers to York Factory on the Bay. Ive got my eye on some northern Ontario roads and non-roads, as well as the trans Labrador, and love to map-explore all of northern Canada. If I get the time I may have to pay you a visit up there.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Thanks JJ, I really love the far north, did some canoeing in northern Man, the Nelson and Hayes Rivers to York Factory on the Bay. Ive got my eye on some northern Ontario roads and non-roads, as well as the trans Labrador, and love to map-explore all of northern Canada. If I get the time I may have to pay you a visit up there.
COOL!!
Regards....Justjeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts