Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
$20 + $6 shipping, Ouch! Though it would be nice. I would like to see the pieces. It should not be that difficult to make.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it wouldn't be. I got the original from Big Cee, not sure what I paid for it right now, and it is a piece of rubber gasket and an aluminum (sp) cover with 4 s/s screws. Quick and easy to install...Doug

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, they are super easy to make... you can buy a piece of flat stock at Home Depot, Lowes etc... and cut it square, drill 4 holes. The hardest part of the whole thing is finding gasoline resistant rubber to make a gasket out of. Which btw, a 1 foot section of each will make you at least 12 kits.

Buna-N Rubber is petroleum resistant. At McMaster.com you can get a 12" long 1" wide strip for $1.26 (Part Number 1867T11)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Does anyone have a 100% stencil drawing of the plate and rubber. If that information was posted many of us might make our own and not have to reinvent the process.

Before I do the petcock plate I am replacing the vacuum hose and removing the fuel tank cap vent seals. One of these days I will get the engine to run consistantly.

The vacuum hose will have a loop where it changes direction. This should prevent crimping and a loss of vacuum to the petcock. I will take photos this weekend when I replace the hose, check the valve clearance and change the spark plug.

Tonight I am removing the fuel tank cap vent seals. KLRCARY posted this Mod the other day.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Biker Scout said:
I haven't heard of that mod.... what's it do and why do I want to do it?
I believe it is on KLR World. KLRCARY says it can help prevent surging, running lean, get more fuel out of the tank, etc. The article is very well done and the mod probably takes 30 minutes. It is worth the try. If it does not work I can always reinstall the parts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Biker Scout said:
The primary reason for tghe mod is remove the vacuum-activated fuel flow. This mod makes the petcock fully manual, and you have to turn it off to cut off the fuel flow to the carb. Normally, the slight vacuum from the carb pulls on a diaphram in the petcock, and that allows fuel to pass through. With the conversion, the diaphram is removed and replaced with a simple gasket. To avoid unintended fuel flow to the carb when the engine isn't running (esp overnight, etc), you need to remember to turn the petcock off.

Another benefit of the mod is dependability. If the diaphram fails in the middle of Patagonia, you'd wish you had done the mod. I have the mod kit, and will carry it with me on long trips as a repair.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OOPS... Sorry, Sarge! I was threadjacking and was asking about what Tomato posted in regards to the fuel cap. I've done the Petcock mod long time ago, and I've never looked back. (Which is why I know how to make them cheaply yourself.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can remember when all bikes had manual petcocks. And you had to remember to put the kickstand up before you rode off. And you could start the bike in gear.

I can still do this to both my 2005 Kawasaki's... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
larryboy said:
hey tim,do you still have the smog stuff on your bike?
No I removed it before going to San Diego Tech Day.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
SgtMarty said:
Biker Scout said:
The primary reason for tghe mod is remove the vacuum-activated fuel flow. This mod makes the petcock fully manual, and you have to turn it off to cut off the fuel flow to the carb. Normally, the slight vacuum from the carb pulls on a diaphram in the petcock, and that allows fuel to pass through. With the conversion, the diaphram is removed and replaced with a simple gasket. To avoid unintended fuel flow to the carb when the engine isn't running (esp overnight, etc), you need to remember to turn the petcock off.

Another benefit of the mod is dependability. If the diaphram fails in the middle of Patagonia, you'd wish you had done the mod. I have the mod kit, and will carry it with me on long trips as a repair.
Wrong mod SgtMarty. Here is the one I was referring to. http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php?topic=56.0 This mod allows the Fuel Tank to vent easier but the negative is splashing gasoline through the vent tube(s). I noticed a white substance on the larger (lower) seal. Since it was late I did not investigate. I will know more about this mod by the end of this weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts