Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a few questions about my 2005 KLR 650 project I just picked up.

The fuel system was completely removed and I have to put the tank and all the lines back on, I have searched but not found what one of the lines I have in the box from the previous owner is, its some clear rubber hose, its stained sort of rust color.

Also, I am new to KRLs in general, what is the second throttle cable used for? This one needs a new grip assembly and while I could just order a bunch of OEM parts, I was wondering if there were newer offerings that work well.

Last question, on top of the coolant reservoir there is another tube, what is the purpose of this tube and how was it routed through the bike?

Thanks in advance, I have gotten the bike to start briefly on carb cleaner after completely redoing the wiring harness, this was very exciting but it still has a long way to go before I get to take it for a spin!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
There are only 2 translucent hoses used as stock & standard parts on a KLR650. 1st one is a 12-18 inch long 1/4" diameter carburetor float bowl air vent on the upper LH side, route it down along the shock spring.
The second one is only a 3/16 x 3 inch section which attaches the flooded cell battery nipple to the larger black rubber hose, which passes thru the RH forward tip of the rear inner fender and then thru the wire hose retainer on top of the swingarm.

The standard Keihin CVK40 carburetor has a throttle plate with a light weight spring, to ensure capability of closure in the event of cable fraying or damage they used a opening & closing cable.

The top coolant tank Vent Hose routes to the LH side of the frame spine & CLEAR back to the Left Rear turn signal/Tail light area. Keeps any slippery coolant off of tire tread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great information, I really appreciate it, after some further research it appears I am missing some pieces to my fuel system, I have no t fitting, and my tank only has one top fitting, I also seem to be missing some sort of canister that I believe is for overflow fuel. If anyone has and good diagrams about routing these hoses or even just some good pictures of how their stuff is routed that would be great. The manual I was given with this bike is not the FSM and does not contain any of this information so if anyone has that as well that would be great. This bike seems to be missing quite a few little bits here and there which is what I expected since multiple people have been playing around with this from what I gathered. I'm really excited to ride this thing as I alway wanted an enduro style bike after growing up with dirt bikes for most of my life.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
...I have no t fitting, and my tank only has one top fitting, I also seem to be missing some sort of canister that I believe is for overflow fuel. ....
I'm not sure what T-fitting you are referring to, but the other things you mention are related to the vapor recovery system. There were two versions. The California version had two fittings at the back of the tank, the 49-state only one.

The stuff is often removed, either to un-complicate things or under the mistaken impression that it will improve things. In either case, the bike will work fine without it provided that the airbox is properly plugged, if necessary, and that the tank vent is not plugged.

I refer you to this site: MarkNet - KLR650 as it may be helpful. It sounds like yours is a 49-state version, so 'De-Californization" is not quite accurate, but the diagrams may help.

What can help us is pictures of what you're dealing with. You need 15 posts and a hosting service to embed pictures, and you can always attach them to the post if you don't have a hosting service.

I'd be happy to help with posting pictures for you; just drop me a PM and I'll get you my e-mail address. You can send me the photos and I'll get them into your post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! I will get some pictures right away I usually use imgur to upload images so I will do that an send you a link so that you can put the link into the thread.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Oh my.

darkipod asked me to post this imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/1V4YL76

I saw so many things that I think, in order to provide good help, it might be better to embed the images so that people can comment directly to an image.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Let's try to do it like this: Give the picture number and what you see wrong or identify the part shown, explaining what it is and where it goes.

For example,

#1, Tank pucks are missing. They are round rubber things that mount to the bosses on the frame at the center of the picture. They locate the tank. Should be one on each side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for posting those, I wanted to say a few things about some of the pictures,

To start when I got this bike the wiring harness was a complete disaster. After looking through some diagrams and checking a bunch of things with my meter I found out that the Ignition Coil and CDI box were both completely open circuit. I am an electrical technician by trade so this surprised me, I ended up using 3 different meters to confirm that they were indeed very dead. Anywho, after a TON of hours searching on how to run the harness I got it somewhat OK and got it all plugged in. I then took the Carb to my dad, a master mechanic who has been working on carb'd stuff long before I was born. He looked it over and cleaned it up a bit and told me "it should fire up if you have compression and spark". Long story short, I sprayed in a bit of carb clean and the bike roared to life for a brief moment. Mind you this is just the harness and the carb on the bike basically, which was the condition I bought it in. Great I thought, im ready to slap this baby together and take her for a spin. WRONG. I kept noticing little things and after many many more hours on the google images I came here and decided to make a plea for help. So here I am.

From the link about the Cali Delete (I wish we could just delete their politicians as easily.) I believe I now know how to route the fuel, I figured it was simple but I kept running into schematics that showed all the Cali emissions crap. So thats finished.

Picture #6 shows what I now know as a broken Choke cable, great. I have decided to leave the choke cable deleted for now and simply ordered this:
[ebay] /itm/KAWASAKI-KLR-650-CV-CARB-CHOKE-enrichner-CABLE-ELIMINATOR-PLEASE-READ-FEEDBACK/122388257050?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KLR-650-CV-CARB-CHOKE-enrichner-CABLE-ELIMINATOR-PLEASE-READ-FEEDBACK-/122388257050

So thats one thing down.

Next is that my throttle twisty assembly is pretty messed up, I didnt take a picture of it but its trash, so I ordered this:
[EBAY] /itm/2007-KAWASAKI-KLR650-OEM-THROTTLE-CABLES-LINES-54012-0120-54012-0121/172908265168?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-KAWASAKI-KLR650-OEM-THROTTLE-CABLES-LINES-54012-0120-54012-0121/172908265168?fits=Year:2007|Make:Kawasaki|Model:KLR650&epid=23006572161&hash=item284222bed0:g:WJEAAOSwt5tZ1odK&vxp=mtr

So now all that I think I need to order are some new rubber bumpers for the gas tank as none of them exist except the lower frame one near the battery.

Oh, #14 I am missing the front sprocket protector, ill need to get one of those too.

Uhhh what else, Oh, what holds in the battery? I have no idea.

Pictures #7, #8, #9, #10, I have no idea what any of these go to. Please send help.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
#9 looks like a mounting clip for a generic aftermarket skid plate, there should be two (and an aftermarket skid plate).

Your harness is routed wrong. It needs to go under the tank mounting bracket on the subframe. I have to take my tank off tomorrow so I'll take a few pictures of how the harness gets routed there.

Kudos to Dad; I thought the carb looked awfully good, compared to the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK, I'll give some of them a shot. But . . . help yourself by purchasing a Service Manual. Either a Clymer Manual and/or the Kawasaki Service Manuals for the bike. Priceless and it'll make it easier for us to help you and in some cases almost impossible to do so if you do not have a Service Manual.

Anyway . . . .

#3: The Carburetor Throttle Return Cable Fitting has been bent and distorted. This can almost certainly be straightened, but if this is your first rodeo when it comes to this sort of thing it'd pay to have someone who has some experience to do this for you. If not done correctly you might need to replace the entire Carburetor and that can get rather expensive.

#5: This is the Vent line for the Carburetor Overflow Fitting. This fitting is what is shown in picture #2.

#6: Choke Cable (not really a choke, but it performs the same function). Can't tell from the picture because it's kind of blurry. But hopefully the plastic threads are OK. If not, there are several options, one of which is to replace this cable.

#9: Way to many fuses.

# 12: Twisted wires are for the Kick Stand Safety Switch. Either repair the wiring to the Safety Switch or Solder these wires together so that the connection is secure, 'cause it sure isn't now. If you Solder the wires together (which is what most folks would probably do in your situation) you might as well remove the Kick Stand Safety Switch and the cable that connects it to the Kick Stand as shown in pictures: 14 and 15.

#14: The Alternator Wiring is out of place and likely to be shredded if left this way. I'll look and see if I have a picture somewhere that shows how/where these wires should be routed.

#15: You need a new Chain and possibly new sprockets, depending on how well/if they can be cleaned up. Also you'll want a new battery. The one that you have has a date code of "J3" which means it was probably manufactured in September of 1993, 2003 or 2013 or as many as three months prior to September. Any battery over 5 years old is suspect and at 25 or 15 years I'd imagine it's life span, if it even has any life at all, might be measured in days or weeks at best.

#21: Vacuum operated Fuel petcock. If it works that'd be really nice. If not you can rebuild it. Rebuild kits are available. A popular "repair" is to replace it completely with a 100% manually operated Fuel Petcock; Yamaha Part Number: 5LP245000100 usually about $20 - $25 new.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A few pictures that I hope will help. There are two pictures of the Alternator wiring. I tried to highlight the routing in the second picture. Also, I believe that you need foot pegs. These, such as the one shown in the attached picture can be found on eBay for $20 or less for a pair. They are perfectly satisfactory IMHO.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Eh, had a few extra minutes. Here are some shots of the wiring. This is a somewhat modified Gen 2, so look at them not for absolute content but for the routing.

You can right-click the images and "Open image in a new tab" for big images.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great information. That Yellow hose that goes to a T, what is the T going to on each end? That was the T I was originally talking about. It seems you have a pretty custom harness with some very nice sheathing.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
..That Yellow hose that goes to a T, what is the T going to on each end? ...
The gray fitting ont he carburetor is the cab bowl vent. On a Gen 2 the stock carb vent tube goes out over the subframe rather than down by the shock as on the Gen 1. For the T-Mod (which simply provides an alternate source of venting should one end get clogged), I like to have the carb vent go up towards the handlebars rather than down along the shock. On a Gen 2 frame there is a port that the Air Injection System uses to draw relatively dry and still air from. I use that port to terminate the T-Mod.

The Gen 1 vent line position, down by the shock, is a stupid place to put a vent line, either as the stock position or as an alternative to the Gen 2 stock position. It's too easy to clog with mud, water, or bugs.

...It seems you have a pretty custom harness with some very nice sheathing.
The electrical is about half Gen 1 and half Gen 2, but has a pair of Infiniti G37 Coupe projectors for headlights, a Vapor dash, and some extra special junque. Those lights, the Gen 1 ignition, removing some unnecessary wiring, and the extra special junque required building a new harness for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am concerned that maybe I dont understand what all is going on with the fuel connections, I have sent some images your way, feel free to post them.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Here you go....

1 - 20 of 102 Posts