Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So the bike has officially come home!

Went for a ride with the wife this afternoon - nice brisk fall day. Was glad to have the hand warmers, that’s for sure!

Tomorrow heading out for another ride towards Peterborough, ON.

Here’s our stable: 2003 Yamaha TW200 and the 2016 KLR.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Lookin’ good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s been a blast so far. Difficult first ride, but really enjoying the additional power and just ease of cruising on the secondary highways.

Only negative was that the dealership I bought it off didn’t even check the air filter before giving it to me - coated with mud! But they apologized and offered to come pick up the bike and look after that and an electrical accessory issue that wasn’t functioning - so can’t complain 🙂

They are making it right - like a good dealer should.

Biggest issue is that means I will have to be without the bike for a couple days... which sucks! A58CE52B-CCAC-4C25-BD07-B6FEC9E27176_1538690886208.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I would actually be more concerned about the 2 dry areas that I can see possibly had been passing dust into the engine, than the oil wet dust caked on the properly oiled areas.

Yes they should have properly cleaned & re-oiled that air filter before that bike was ever put on a sales floor!

·
Registered
623 Posts
The dealer ADM fees are a total joke when we see things like this. To me this is an outright rip off to the customer. They should actually refer to ADM as dealer “markup” or dealer “profit” instead of “dealer prep”, which most here do.
When I bought my KLR new with 0 miles, I discovered many loose bolts and a dry air filter when I got home with it. That dealer should be ashamed!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The dealer ADM fees are a total joke when we see things like this. To me this is an outright rip off to the customer. They should actually refer to ADM as dealer “markup” or dealer “profit” instead of “dealer prep”, which most here do.
When I bought my KLR new with 0 miles, I discovered many loose bolts and a dry air filter when I got home with it. That dealer should be ashamed!
Dan,
Did you by any chance receive the Yellow customer Copy of the Assembly & Preparation check list, which you were supposed to have signed & dated after having reviewed the A & P check list & owners handbook with the salesperson, Before receiving your keys and all other important papers?
Kawasaki & other brands really ought to ask about this LIST on their customer satisfaction follow up surveys on phone or mail! They are probably afraid of the answers. Did you partake of their survey?

Your bike and all others, really shouldn't have been turned-out with ZERO miles on it/them. What would have happened if the brakes did Not Work properly at the first intersection? A proper test ride by dealership personnel is supposedly required!

We once had a KDX175 that had 5th gear & a 5.5 gear, it was kind of noisy! You would have been hard pressed to find a loose nut, bolt or screw on any unit we sold. It is/was on the yellow A&P sheet also. And they were double checked if the unit was brought back for proper Break-in Maintenance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are replacing the filter and doing a full lookover again of the bike on Fri. Depending on how they handle the situation, my dealer review may be not the greatest. Just sucks to lose good riding time on something that they had in their possession for a week to get ready.,,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a week later I got the bike back. They did a lot of investigation, and ended up replacing and checking a bunch of the drivetrain. Replaced the chain. But still had surging noticeable at 2500-3500 rpm only in first or second gears.

I still think it’s jetting or something in the carb. Ive noticed that if I keep the choke on, there is no surging, but as soon as I turn it off, it comes back and makes it very frustrating to drive at low rpm.

Any suggestions from anyone? Or just let them play with it when the weather gets worse until they fix it?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I'll suggest that one or more of the 3 tiny low speed / pilot outlet holes in the throat of the carburetor under the bottom lip of the throttle plate are restricted or one of them is nearly plugged.
All three of those holes gets their fuel from the pilot jet, as does the adjustable low speed mixture screw.

The pilot jet can be clean and the adjustable mixture outlet can be clean and the engine will start well and idle well. But if those other 3 holes are restricted the fuel/air mixture will be lean in the 1/16-1/4 throttle setting and the engine will stumble. Adding cold enrichener richens the mix right up and allows the engine rpm increase to get onto the mid-range needle & then the main jet.

I use a tiny wire, bent at 90 degrees to poke down thru those holes & then back-flush with aerosol carb cleaner & air hose. Then insert the straw up the pilot passage & confirm 3 full streams of fluid coming out of those holes (best visible with adjustable screw Closed!).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great feedback! I forwarded your response on to the dealer. I’m hoping that when I get it back in, it should resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi all! So the bike has officially come home!

Went for a ride with the wife this afternoon - nice brisk fall day. Was glad to have the hand warmers, that’s for sure!

Tomorrow heading out for another ride towards Peterborough, ON.

Here’s our stable: 2003 Yamaha TW200 and the 2016 KLR.
That's my old bike, I traded it in at Endras BMW - Ajax for a R1200GSA
If you need any history, send me a pm
brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! Just read a bit of your traveling history. Hoping to get the last of the states done with the KLR, and make my own trip out east next year. PM sent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up my 2016 KLR today!

Brought home a baby brother for the KLR today... brand new 2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 for the wife. Drove through a snowstorm to get home though. Still was a lot of fun! But I still like my KLR better 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I picked up my 1st KLR around a month ago, and the previous owner didn't know what a doohickey was, so before I purchased the stuff, I thought I would check to see, while doing a oil change. Took the outer cover off, to check if it looked like the new doo, and it appears to be original. I decided to check the tension on the adjuster, and low n behold, there is no tension on it. I loosened the fastener, and was able to slide it to the left easily. I guess the eagle kit is needed, unless I manually adjust it occasionally. It looks like there is approx 1/4" available adjustment left in the slot. Whatcha all think? Is it needed on a 2012?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I guess the eagle kit is needed, unless I manually adjust it occasionally. It looks like there is approx 1/4" available adjustment left in the slot. Whatcha all think? Is it needed on a 2012?
I think you answered your own question. Who wants to take the cover off to adjust a doohickey?? Your spring is the problem. Get the doohickey kit with torsion spring and never worry about it again.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Brought home a baby brother for the KLR today... brand new 2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 for the wife. Drove through a snowstorm to get home though. Still was a lot of fun! But I still like my KLR better.
Christmas came early at your place. Nice bike, I’m sure the Mrs. will love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess the eagle kit is needed, unless I manually adjust it occasionally. It looks like there is approx 1/4" available adjustment left in the slot. Whatcha all think? Is it needed on a 2012?
I think you answered your own question. Who wants to take the cover off to adjust a doohickey?? Your spring is the problem. Get the doohickey kit with torsion spring and never worry about it again.
Lol, yeah...you are correct. Do you think this is something that needs to be done quickly, or is a few months (4,000 miles) gonna be okay?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
If you don't Have To Ride It the next week or two, I'd recommend that you order the parts, do it once and then you only need to loosen the bolt to re-adjust it about every 5000-7500 miles.
I've never liked having to do a job twice or even once & half!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't Have To Ride It the next week or two, I'd recommend that you order the parts, do it once and then you only need to loosen the bolt to re-adjust it about every 5000-7500 miles.
I've never liked having to do a job twice or even once & half!
I manually adjusted it yesterday, so unless I am mistaken, I should be good to go for at least a few thousand miles, correct?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts