Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

301 - 316 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
View attachment 26592
Out riding yesterday stopped for a drink and photo of course.
I wonder if that front tire gets squirrelly in gravel at speeds of 60mph +?
Note the Vee pattern of the knobs >>>>>>>>>, which tend to scoop the marbles into the center line.

Reactions: 2000KLR685

·
Registered
5 Posts
Note the Vee pattern of the knobs >>>>>>>>>, which tend to scoop the marbles into the center line.
Too be honest I hardly ever go over 60mph, basically lives around 35 to 50mph and mostly off road. It’s geared way down so it’s Definitely a handful if your not careful.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
Too be honest I hardly ever go over 60mph, basically lives around 35 to 50mph and mostly off road. It’s geared way down so it’s Definitely a handful if your not careful.
Anyways, next time try installing that 'tractor tread' up front in this manner, <<<<<<<<<.

·
Registered
141 Posts
PDWestman I recognize the V pattern to which you speak, but on the bike pic above would not the center of the V contact the gravel first, followed by the wings of the V coming afterward which should shovel the marbles outward? Unless you are riding backwards of course. Straighten me out. Line6

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
You are looking at the pattern of the tire under the front fender, you need to look at the 'imprint of the tire', On The Ground'?

When the center knob touches the ground 1st, the Vee acts like a scoop shovel and scoops the marbles into the center line.
When the outer tips (or wings) of the Vee touch the ground 1st, the Vee acts like a 'squeegee' and scoots the marbles to the sides.
Think about it!

A front tire is Always driven. And 'Driven' even harder when on the front brake.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You are looking at the pattern of the tire under the front fender, you need to look at the 'imprint of the tire', On The Ground'?

When the center knob touches the ground 1st, the Vee acts like a scoop shovel and scoops the marbles into the center line.
When the outer tips (or wings) of the Vee touch the ground 1st, the Vee acts like a 'squeegee' and scoots the marbles to the sides.
Think about it!

A front tire is Always driven. And 'Driven' even harder when on the front brake.
yup thinking about it Nope ..... you lost me, your description doesn not hold true in my mind When the center knob touches the ground 1st, the Vee acts like a scoop shovel and scoops the marbles into the center line. this makes no sense line6

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
The front tire should be oriented such that when braking in loose gravel, the V shape pushes the loose gravel to the side and away from under the tire.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
Wet the tire and roll it on dry concrete to see the pattern. And then think about it.

301 - 316 of 316 Posts