Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got time to post some photos of the repaint/recolor of my 1997 from camo tan color to blaze green using Plasti Dip rattle cans. It required two cans to do fairing (removed to paint), side panels (removed to paint) , fairing flare panels (removed to paint), and tank (done in place with newspaper masking).

A PO had painted the bike bright yellow which I would likely have retained as like to be seen, but the PO had started a camo repaint by sanding and doing a nice job of the tan base coat. Last thing I'm wanting is to blend in so that's been bugging me although I'll admit that the camo would be very much in character for the KLR. Just a taste thing....

I didn't do the rear fender pending how well the Plasti Dip stands up but it will require another can to do that one. I'll likely mask and do it in place also as that will be good enough.

Pardon for the length as trying to provide complete information and since I'm talking to my friends, others are likely best to simply ignore my posts if the attempt to be complete isn't to their taste.

The finish on my panels was a primer type surface rather than slippery plastic as would be the case for a stock panel so don't know how well the Plasti will adhere to stock panels. Others seem to have indicated success...

I'll add some before and after in case the views are useful. The green photos are inside so it might look a bit different in the sun and can add some of those if someone wishes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwfk078ck6f4b5w/Lexan windscreen3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w269xmdgd4ls0h/Tan color.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3fraz0w5umqvub/Front.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf0zohoidjeirq1/Left side.jpg

Oh, just recalled: I didn't re-sand the surface but just wiped down with Pro Form General Purpose Adhesive Remover. Those with knowledge of refinishing process will likely be able to improve this procedure.

I laid on 4 or 5 coats as per the instructions with a bit over 30 minutes between coats. Temperature was about 75 degrees F.

A bit tired and grumpy today so apologize.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please post some pics after some wear and tear. I have read testimonies that off road truck owners will plastic dip their grills and then power wash regularly and the product can stand up to it.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
One of your images from processing by PhotoBucket, Normk:

Chose this one, because it shows overall effect; impressive bit of work.

Color may be more faithfully produced here:

(Thought direct viewing of your images might be more convenient for some forum readers, in contrast to clicking on the links.)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Festis, You have no idea how much the power wash reference bugs me. Never one to leave well enough alone, I keep thinking that it would be interesting to power wash mine to see if the "Dip" comes off. :stickpoke:

Of course, the intention is to have a more visible bike so finding ways to strip off the "DIP" won't contribute to that end......still... I wonder.

Please don't put temptations in my path. I am weak and prone to ignoring reason. :)

Please post some pics after some wear and tear. I have read testimonies that off road truck owners will plastic dip their grills and then power wash regularly and the product can stand up to it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I got a better idea. Ship it down here. Me and the NorCal gang will take it on a trip, see how it holds up. :)

Looks good, man. :35a:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rats! If I'd only seen your message a bit earlier, the only box big enough wouldn't have just gone on the recycling truck.....:t1202:

I got a better idea. Ship it down here. Me and the NorCal gang will take it on a trip, see how it holds up. :)

Looks good, man. :35a:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Festis, You have no idea how much the power wash reference bugs me. Never one to leave well enough alone, I keep thinking that it would be interesting to power wash mine to see if the "Dip" comes off.

Of course, the intention is to have a more visible bike so finding ways to strip off the "DIP" won't contribute to that end......still... I wonder.

Please don't put temptations in my path. I am weak and prone to ignoring reason

·
Registered
47 Posts
NormK,

I have been studying the plastic dip myself. If after some use you feel it will standup that might be the catalyst to me painting mine. I am kind of partial to blaze orange my self. But I can appreciate the green.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far, so good. There have been some minor contacts which seemed not to affect the finish. I plan to spit fill a couple of small dings which were overlooked, then spray over the spots which will be interesting. If the Dip covers/blends in, that will be a big plus.

If doing again, I'd think about liquid Dip and a small roller as the spray bombs are quite pricey. Haven't looked into that....

Someone mentioned being cheap but my ancestors were Welsh...top that!:laugh2::laugh2:

NormK,

I have been studying the plastic dip myself. If after some use you feel it will standup that might be the catalyst to me painting mine. I am kind of partial to blaze orange my self. But I can appreciate the green.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Festis, You have no idea how much the power wash reference bugs me. Never one to leave well enough alone, I keep thinking that it would be interesting to power wash mine to see if the "Dip" comes off. :stickpoke:

Please don't put temptations in my path. I am weak and prone to ignoring reason. :)
NormK,

I hope I got it right this time. I have been studying plastic dip for a while. Your presentation came out great !!!! I want to do mine in blaze orange. I am not super abusive to the finish as far as in the field goes. However I am a polishing freak. It is almost an obsession. I would need a glossy finish, which I am still not 100% sure is an option, although I know blaze orange is available. So please do a follow up and let us know your opinion as far as wear and tear goes.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Rats! If I'd only seen your message a bit earlier, the only box big enough wouldn't have just gone on the recycling truck.....:t1202:
Good answer. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PlastiDip seems to be a sort of rubberized material so don't know about polishing. It has a texture which would need to be polished out, removing quite a lot of the material. I will see if I can find a rear portion or other area and try to polish to see what happens. I like a flatter surface finish because it doesn't have so much tendency to show imperfections and this seems to be a quality of the material sprayed on.

NormK,

I hope I got it right this time. I have been studying plastic dip for a while. Your presentation came out great !!!! I want to do mine in blaze orange. I am not super abusive to the finish as far as in the field goes. However I am a polishing freak. It is almost an obsession. I would need a glossy finish, which I am still not 100% sure is an option, although I know blaze orange is available. So please do a follow up and let us know your opinion as far as wear and tear goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts