Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new to the site as a member. I have ghosted as a guest for some time and figured I should join. I own a 1997 KLR 250.

I was trying to search for the answer to my question with little success.

What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to upgrade the light coming from my headlight? I want something bright enough to make me feel comfortable riding at night, without killing oncoming traffic's eyes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I'll recommend that the 1st thing one should do to improve our headlights is to ensure proper vertical Focus with the rider seated on the bike!
Most bike headlights are not even close to correct for an average rider straight from the factory! If not properly focused it doesn't matter which bulb we install into the reflector!

On a flat shop floor or parking lot start with the front tire touching a wall. On High Beam mark the center of the Bright Spot. Roll backwards 25 feet and we need a 2 inch drop of the Bright Spot.
Adjust as needed. Best to have an assistant, because we Really Need to have our weight on the bike in normal riding position!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Good headlight aiming instructions!

However . . . KLR650 Generation 1 and KLR250 (OP's bike) don't pack a lot of candlepower, stock, even when perfectly aimed.

The TPI bulb is H4 incandescent, and draws more juice than the stock item; a KLR650 alternator can handle it; I THINK a KLR250 can also. While HIDs and LEDs may produce more light, this bulb's low-beam pattern and high-beam focus put it 'way ahead of the OEM H4.

Again, good point about having the rider's weight on the bike when aiming the headlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts