Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is my first KLR, and I love it stock quiet. That said, I have had 9 Harleys, and 3 beemers. Beemers sound terrible loud. Harleys, ( that's part of the napolian syndrome).
The only time I wish I had very loud Harley pipes when I was going through Hartford CT on my quiet beemer. 2 lanes no where to go, and this nice old lady in a big cadilac, just starts moving over to my lane, THANK GOD, they put loud horns on beemers or I would have bean a splat on the jersey barrier. The campgrounds I go to love my stock KLR. My last Harley, I put the stock slipons back on, and got all kinds of crap from the bad to the bone croud.
Ill post a pic of my klr and my last Harley.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
This is my first KLR, and I love it stock quiet. That said, I have had 9 Harleys, and 3 beemers. Beemers sound terrible loud. Harleys, ( that's part of the napolian syndrome).
The only time I wish I had very loud Harley pipes when I was going through Hartford CT on my quiet beemer. 2 lanes no where to go, and this nice old lady in a big cadilac, just starts moving over to my lane, THANK GOD, they put loud horns on beemers or I would have bean a splat on the jersey barrier. The campgrounds I go to love my stock KLR. My last Harley, I put the stock slipons back on, and got all kinds of crap from the bad to the bone croud.
Ill post a pic of my klr and my last Harley.
Good horns are only used occasionally.

Loud exhausts annoy most other people MOST of the time, that is part of the reason for the creation of the EPA OEM manufacturer noise limits, other people.

On another note, people gripe about the KLR seat. I'd think that HD seat would make one say "Ouch" by the 1st intersection. :)

Reactions: Weav

·
Registered
200 Posts
Things arent allways as they seem.

Good horns are only used occasionally.

Loud exhausts annoy most other people MOST of the time, that is part of the reason for the creation of the EPA OEM manufacturer noise limits, other people.

On another note, people gripe about the KLR seat. I'd think that HD seat would make one say "Ouch" by the 1st intersection. :)
The Harley seat is more comfortable than it looks, just give it the Harley crouch/slouch, and its good for at least 150 miles. The original came with a $270 springer kit that did nothing but add chrome. So I took it off and dropped it ontop of the batt. For longer trips, I would add a lamb skin, jell seat cover. The stock seat was very ugly and hard and high, and uncomfortable. ( I know they do it on person) to make one buy another.
I took 85% of the KLR seat foam out and now can put both feet on the ground. AND the same, its good for 150ish miles, then I put the lambskin, jell cover on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did upgrade the KLR horn though. I love the bike quiet, but love a loud horn. On the beemers, they sound like a loud old caddie.
As far as a low hard seat goes. Its no difference than if one sucks at sports, and gets to ride the bench all the time. Or putting a lot of time on a wooden bar stool. We could add a lot of time in church on the wooden bench also.
Its the curve of the seat that makes it cool and comfy. Like the old metal tractor seat with all the holes in it to drain water and cool/air the bottom.
Sooner or later, ill come across a good uphostery person and make the KLR seat low and cool, looking, instead of just low, now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im 38, when i was in my 20s and had a chip on my shoulder, yea i liked loud straight pipes on my harley. Even had a few Honda 4cyl with loud pipes. But these days not so much. I do have the FMF pipe on my KLR, but it was there from the guy i bought it from. I like it, not to loud, gives abit of attitude i guess. (still have a bit o'hooligan in me)
I am my fathers' son and we havent ever been able to leave someone stock. unless, its a classic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
stock klr

Im 38, when i was in my 20s and had a chip on my shoulder, yea i liked loud straight pipes on my harley. Even had a few Honda 4cyl with loud pipes. But these days not so much. I do have the FMF pipe on my KLR, but it was there from the guy i bought it from. I like it, not to loud, gives abit of attitude i guess. (still have a bit o'hooligan in me)
I am my fathers' son and we havent ever been able to leave someone stock. unless, its a classic.
On a Harley one cant leave it alone, but I love the klr the way it is except I put hard bags on and crash bars. I love how quiet it is.
My dodge diesel on the other hand is a sleeper and kicks butt. And its almost stock sounding.

·
Registered
164 Posts
How often do you have to repack it?
Well I've had it less than a year, and my bike has been put away since November so I haven't ridden with it that much. Regardless, it shouldn't be any different than your typical muffler repacking schedule.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My other Bike is a 2014 Honda CTX1300... So the KLR is the louder of my 2. I dont get too wild anymore. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I friggin hate loud pipes. If you are any kind of decent rider who is aware of what's going on around you, you don't need to tell the world "I'm here!" It's called defensive driving.
Yes, I know that every car out there is trying to kill you, but really?
I've had multiple people tell me that they appreciate how quiet my KLR and Versys are.
rant over.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Valentino Rossi asked Yamaha to make his bike quieter so he could better hear what was going on around him. Yamaha indicated he'd lose a couple of hp. He said he was faster when the bike was quieter. And...he was. Not that I'm Valentino Rossi...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally don't mind a little "rumble", but not excessive noise. The "loud pipe" crowd is putting the sport that we enjoy in jeopardy. When the non-riding public has complaints about motorcycle noise, it is far easier to make rules to ban all motorcycles, then it is to single out the "excessively loud" ones. It has already happened in parks, retirement communities, and in some cases even restrictions on riding dirt bikes on your own land. Currently, all of my bikes have stock exhaust systems. I try to keep the noise at a reasonable level, but always have a good horn at the ready.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
I don't like loud pipes/bikes; my goal is to use the quietest aftermarket silencer available that has a USFS stamp and spark arrestor......stock is just too heavy. So far I've used stock, the FMF Q4, LeoVince X3 and I recently purchased a LEXX with the Trail Saver insert. The Q4 at 96db is the loudest; the LV is noticeably quieter. I only tried the LEXX briefly with both the regular insert and the trail saver and I was dissappointed that it didn't seem any quieter than the LV.....but for other reasons, I didn't have it on long. I will reinstall the LEXX/Trailsaver and give it a test alongside my other identical KLR using the LV and report back.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I personally don't mind a little "rumble", but not excessive noise. The "loud pipe" crowd is putting the sport that we enjoy in jeopardy. When the non-riding public has complaints about motorcycle noise, it is far easier to make rules to ban all motorcycles, then it is to single out the "excessively loud" ones. It has already happened in parks, retirement communities, and in some cases even restrictions on riding dirt bikes on your own land. Currently, all of my bikes have stock exhaust systems. I try to keep the noise at a reasonable level, but always have a good horn at the ready.
I don't like loud pipes/bikes; my goal is to use the quietest aftermarket silencer available that has a USFS stamp and spark arrestor......stock is just too heavy. So far I've used stock, the FMF Q4, LeoVince X3 and I recently purchased a LEXX with the Trail Saver insert. The Q4 at 96db is the loudest; the LV is noticeably quieter. I only tried the LEXX briefly with both the regular insert and the trail saver and I was dissappointed that it didn't seem any quieter than the LV.....but for other reasons, I didn't have it on long. I will reinstall the LEXX/Trailsaver and give it a test alongside my other identical KLR using the LV and report back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't mind quiet thumpers and can't imagine they would sound much better with a can.

My N400 on the other hand, sounded like an ATV and the parallel twin hideous winding it to 10K and the can was FUGLY. I put a Delkevik 9" on it and it was deafening so I lost my ass and put a 14" on it, found the middle ground.

My N1000 dual exhaust is cool looking to me and not that loud, and I enjoy the sound of the inline-4 and don't plan to make changes.

Exhaust is personal preference and everyone has there own taste and tolerance for noise...it makes me no difference what others do to their bikes or cars for that matter. But good gawd Harley riders, stop rapping the throttle at the stoplights, if you are afraid it will die go tune the carb :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sadly, humans do make judgements on what they observe and hear. I tend to doubt that the shirtless barefoot long hair with a cigarette in his mouth I saw going down Central Avenue on a Harley chopper with straight pipes is a judge on the supreme court. Yup, I actually saw that. The pipes were deafening and I wondered how painful it was to shift a Harley chopper with bare feet, let alone how dangerous.
I dont know if he was actually a Judge or not, but I can only guess.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Back in the late 90's I owned an 85 FJ1100 w/ Vance and Hines 4 to1 exhaust. I was the loudest thing on the road and I was 'that guy'. I survived the experience of that bike, but had the most close calls with others on the road than any other bike I've owned - and that was before texting. Why? Because I was in my 20's, rode every major interchange in Houston weekly and was pretty much always pushing it. Never wrecked, one speeding ticket of 40 in a 35, but age and location and riding style were definitely factors in why I had so many close calls. I've always been a self aware driver, which means even when I was an ass, I knew it and I was tuned (hyper alert) in to what I and everybody else around me was doing. Riding was an exhausting adrenaline filled experience.

Today, I miss the growl of my Honda Blackbird with 2Brothers exhaust. It was everything right in an exhaust note. Think of a house cat sleeping then make it 2 mountain lions. Starting that bike in my garage moved hanging pictures from center in the house. It wasn't 'loud', but it was most definitely alive.

My KLR has stock exhaust, because I enjoy the quiet. I've run the gamut in loud pipes, and today I have far less near incidents than back then. So do I like loud pipes? I have, but I've tempered with age. Do I like an enhanced exhaust note? Oh yeah. But at this point in mods, a aftermarket exhaust on my KLR won't justify a change from my quiet ride.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts