Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all. This is an unusual one. I have the 2022 KLR base model, and recently (about 3500 miles) the bike has begun making a sounds when pulling the clutch. When I initially disengage the clutch, there is a single, sudden popping/knocking report. The sound is very similar to the sound of the wheel hitting a piece of gravel while on a paved road. Sometimes, but not always, when I coast, in gear, with the clutch disengaged, I will hear a constant sound like I'm riding over gravel. I feel like this goes without saying - but the sound is coming from around the motor. Not a mechanic, but a good googler, and found nothing. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Sometimes, but not always, when I coast, in gear, with the clutch disengaged, I will hear a constant sound like I'm riding over gravel.
This sound may be caused by TOO Tight of drive chain adjustment.
With only your index finger, can you lift the lower run of the drive chain UP to just touch the rear tip of the swingarm rubber under-slider?
If not, slacken your chain until it can touch & put some chain lube on it.

When I initially disengage the clutch, there is a single, sudden popping/knocking report. The sound is very similar to the sound of the wheel hitting a piece of gravel while on a paved road.
Is this sound only audible with engine off?

Unscrew the oil fill cap & watch the clutch pressure plate as you squeeze the clutch lever, the first time of the day.
Dead engine of course. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts