Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put my KLR up for sale locally to test the waters. Within 30 minutes I get a response from a guy who is very serious having owned three KLR’s in the past. From the info he provided I believe he is legitimate.

So now what to replace it with is the big question. My first inclination is an Africa Twin but it’s a pretty big bike. KTM’s and BMW’s are too pricey and complicated although I do think they are great bikes. V-Strom 650 kinda appeals to me but is it much of an upgrade? Love the Yamaha 700T but that forces me into a dealership purchase.

I’m beginning to sound like maybe selling isn’t such a great option. Wish Kawasaki had done something a little better with the new KLR.

comments, suggestions appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,911 Posts
Have you considered the 900 Tiger?

·
Administrator
8,911 Posts
@klr4evr, I should clarify that I meant the new 900, not the ancient 900. The new 900 is 888cc with the whiz-bang T-Plane crank and the sexy big-bang firing order. The new 900 comes in several variants, but basically the road-oriented GT and the more off-road-oriented Rally. Both are considered 'dual sport'.

It's a bit spendy compared to the KLR but, at our age, it might perhaps be the ultimate 'last new bike you ever buy before you hang it up and get a stupit three-wheeler'.

Triumph, perhaps the industry's King of Konfusion, also offer the Tiger 850 Sport which has the same engine as the 900 but is simply a renaming of last year's Tiger 900 GT base model.

I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the 900 GT to replace both the KLR and the R1200RT..

As @Belldriver points out, the 800 is a fine alternative, too. And still just as sexy as any fine British motorcycle made in Thailand can possibly be...

·
Registered
269 Posts
i guess that depends on the type of riding you primarily want to do. I'm looking to pick up a more dirt oriented street legal toy and same as you was hoping the new KLR would be that... now I'm looking DR / T7 etc... but not too sure.

as to whether the vstrom 650 is enough of an upgrade.... traction control, hill assist, ABS, dual front discs, fuel injected, 6 speed, almost double the hp.... there's a ton of them used out there and really good deals on new leftovers.

edit: just realized i wrote hill assist when i meant low rpm assist. hill assist is only on the newest gen 1050.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try the Honda CRF250 Rally. It's great at 65 mph on the street and the long , soft suspension soaks up everything in the dirt. I really like mine. The new 300 is even lighter , with other improvements and the price is still very good. It's 130 pounds lighter than a KLR !! ....and about $700.00 cheaper. And my Africa Twin is a great street bike but I will never take it off road. Too heavy and too expensive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Put my KLR up for sale locally to test the waters. Within 30 minutes I get a response from a guy who is very serious having owned three KLR’s in the past. From the info he provided I believe he is legitimate.

So now what to replace it with is the big question. My first inclination is an Africa Twin but itks a pretty big bike. KTM’s and BMW’s are too pricey and complicated although I do think they are great bikes. V-Strom 650 kinda appeals to me but is it much of an upgrade? Love the Yamaha 700T but that forces me into a dealership purchase.

I’m beginning to sound like maybe selling isn’t such a great option. Wish Kawasaki had done something a little better with the new KLR.

comments, suggestions appreciated.

I know this is varies by region, but a quick check of 6 mega dealers in SW Michigan area shows limited inventory. No Yamaha Tenere's of any size or year and only one Suzuki 1000 Strom.

For sale by owner adds are also tight.

If the inventory situation is the same in your area, my suggestion is to wait to sell your KLR until you either have a solid deal lined up on its replacement or it's already in your driveway.

·
Administrator
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer to stay out of the dealership at this point. Newer used would be great. I have considered the Triumph and at one time was looking around for an 800. Up here used Triumph’s are rare and there is only one dealership selling them. I’m concerned when buying a brand that doesn’t have the dealership support in the event of a need for parts when away from the major centres.

My riding these days seems to be mostly street with the occasional country side road.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
........... Wish Kawasaki had done something a little better with the new KLR......................
That's why I'm not at the dealership!

For the road I'd do a Versys 1000. For the easy trails, I'd consider a Versys 300. The HP is about the same as the KLR.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For the road I'd do a Versys 1000. For the easy trails, I'd consider a Versys 300. The HP is aberrsys sysout the same as the KLR. Seams
There is, of course, a 650 version of the Versys. A 1000 Versys is a lot of motorcycle. Conversely a 300 Versys seems a bit under powered? Recently I sat on both a 650 and a 1000 Versys. I felt more comfortable on the 650. I admit, I do spend a fair amount on back country roads which has made me look closer at a Versys. Yes, I've looked at Tigers and GTs but my bank account always gives me a frown whenever I look at the price tags on both those machines. Plus, where I live, there are far fewer qualified mechanics available to service those machines should the need arise. I know riders that wouldn't give up their GTs for any other motor, but for me that reality is just not that clear. As was mentioned, it depends on how comfortable you are with your bank accounts, what you're willing to spend, how important motorcycling is in your life, and what sort of riding you plan on doing in the future. That's my $1.93 worth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Klr4evr. The name says it all. Sell your old KLR . Get a new fuelie KLR and give us a good test report . I really want to ride one. I have a feeling opinions will change and it will be a huge hit .

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There is, of course, a 650 version of the Versys. A 1000 Versys is a lot of motorcycle. Conversely a 300 Versys seems a bit under powered? Recently I sat on both a 650 and a 1000 Versys. I felt more comfortable on the 650.......
I've ridden the Versys 650 and I own the 1000. I've never rode a 300 but spec wise it looks to be right in line with the KLR power wise.

The 650 really feels buzzy to me after being on the 1000 so long now and takes a lot more shifting. The 1000 is really smooth. It's the best road bike I've owned including Goldwings. My wife says it's a great two up bike but she rides her own 99.999 percent of the time. From a distance the two bikes look the same but they're not. I found that going from a KLR to a 1000 takes some getting used to. You can set the power down to 75 percent but that's still a lot more than a KLR owner is used to. The front wheel is not planted to the ground and the engine knows it! I didn't expect it. I knew it would be quick but I've owned 1500 and 1800 cc Wings. The 1000 made me respect the engine quickly. Crack the throttle in first and you're looking at clouds. Used wisely though, the 1000 cc is the perfect match for the bike but mine's green and everyone who owns a Kawasaki knows that's the fastest color.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I'm retiring and moving to Colorado in about 2 years and when I do I'm going to sell my VStrom 1000 to avoid moving it and am going to switch to something smaller. Right now I'm eyeballing the Honda CRF300L.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I'd hang onto it, Lol, I still regret selling mine!
Plus, that's probably one of the cleanest and best maintained 04's on the planet. To replace it would be tough with the price of bikes up here.
Sweet looking bike, I knew it was yours as soon as I saw the ad! (Plus the headlight fairings give it away)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd have to know where and how you ride. How fast on the road, what sort of off-road. How heavy a bike you're willing to tolerate.

If you're looking for a bike like the kLR, there isn't one, is there? Not a Suzuki DR650, and not a Versys 650 (I had one).

Maybe just get another KLR if you wore your's out. Not sure if I'd want the new, fuel injected model. Last fall I found a 2015 with just 600 miles on it for what I thought was a reasonable price at $4700.00. It sits in my garage next to my Moto Guzzi V7III. Truth be told, the KLR is comfier on the road, and I like to seek out dirt roads to cruise on.

Personally, I won't ride a bike heavier than what I have right now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
is keeping the KLR and just adding another bike an option?

I'm down to two bikes in the garage now but really miss my '13 KLR and absolutely loved that colour. i just wish insurance wasn't so brutal on multiple bikes up here. I've gotta do something soon though because the girlfriend has noticed the space and started talking about taking the MSF course. over dinner last night she was testing me on the drivers handbook she's been studying online.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
My riding these days seems to be mostly street with the occasional country side road.
As always, all dual sport/dual purpose/ADV bikes are exercises in compromise - street vs. dirt, highway speeds, load carrying ability, price, etc. etc. .......based on what you said, some potential candidates for me would be the AT, T7 or maybe a V Strom if the dirt component is really going to be that minimal. I had a Versys which I liked but I consider it a pavement only machine (though some would argue the point). It would seem you've considered all these bikes; the T7 will need to be new, the AT can be found used - it IS heavier but if your staying on roads (dirt or paved) that might not be a big deal. I do think a V Strom is an upgrade from a KLR if you're not doing anything more challenging than dirt roads......certainly nicer on pavement with much more power, better brakes, etc.....not too expensive and easy to find used.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
For what it's worth, as a new rider my plan is to learn how to ride and offroad on my (new to me) KLR then in 2-3 years upgrade to a T7. It seems to be the logical upgrade for anyone looking into the smaller-sized but capable ADV bikes. It sucks that they're not available used, hopefully in 2-3 years a bunch of them will pop up for me to buy

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
What the heck, as long as you’re kick-in’ tires, cruise over to the Harley Dealer and test ride the Panamera, and give us a ride report! It ain’t that much more than an AT.

some one above said that you should not be overly concerned with price, especially since this may be the last bike you buy new (and we’re in the same age bracket 😉). I 100% agree. Buy what you want. Not much point saving pennies at this stage in life.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
And speaking of SV 650’s, a guy near me has an almost new 2009 Model for sale. He fried the harness on it shortly after he bought it in 2009, with less than 2000 miles. He bought a replacement harness, but it was one of those projects he never got around to, so he’s selling it as-is, with the body parts removed for access (all the parts are there and go with the bike), for $2000.

I’m tempted, but I need another project like I need a hole in my head. Is that a good deal?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts