Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
.......... I had a Versys which I liked but I consider it a pavement only machine (though some would argue the point). .......
I'd agree the 650 would be poor choice off road and the 1000,,, for sure would that be a crime to take off pavement but would you include the Versys 300 in that assessment above or is it "light trail" capable? I've considered one for the gravel roads and some dry dirt trails, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What the heck, as long as you’re kick-in’ tires, cruise over to the Harley Dealer and test ride the Panamera, and give us a ride report! It ain’t that much more than an AT.

some one above said that you should not be overly concerned with price, especially since this may be the last bike you buy new (and we’re in the same age bracket 😉). I 100% agree. Buy what you want. Not much point saving pennies at this stage in life.
Hey I'm up there too. I get mail from AARP all the time. I've found the wife disposes of a lot of funds for us. Facebook marketplace is a curse if you have Grandkids. She's already burned up one phone and is working on number 2.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For what it's worth, as a new rider my plan is to learn how to ride and offroad.............
Great plan! If you can ride trail, the road is easy! Everyone should learn on trail.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
I'd agree the 650 would be poor choice off road and the 1000,,, for sure would that be a crime to take off pavement but would you include the Versys 300 in that assessment above or is it "light trail" capable? I've considered one for the gravel roads and some dry dirt trails, nothing fancy.

IMO (and I have not ridden one) is that the 300X is marginally more offroad capable than the 650 Versys; I think some consider it offroad worthy due to the lighter weight and better wheels but it still has all the "street" stuff; stepped seat, low mounted exhaust, engine as a stressed member and the biggy; low budget suspension with limited travel. While you would have an easier time dragging one through the trails compared to the 650, I still consider the 300 a budget/entry level ADV bike rather than a true dual sport/dual purpose bike.

All that said, I applaude bikes like the Versys X300 and Honda CB500X as I think there is a real tendancy for people to buy 100hp+, 500+ lb ADV bikes when they'd be happier and way better off with something much smaller. .....despite that thought, neither of those bikes make a good true offroad mount.....of course that doesn't mean that with the appropriate tires, they wouldn't be just fine on the odd gravel road, etc.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
How many of you have been following Noraly, aka Itchy Boots? Kawasaki KLR Forum

Season 5 in South Africa on a used CRF250L. The latest video is up a very washed out 'Sani Pass', to the top & back down sans luggage.

Very proud of her and her choice of bike!

Hope that the new Kawasaki KLX300 will work as well or better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Put my KLR up for sale locally to test the waters. Within 30 minutes I get a response from a guy who is very serious having owned three KLR’s in the past. From the info he provided I believe he is legitimate.

So now what to replace it with is the big question. My first inclination is an Africa Twin but it’s a pretty big bike. KTM’s and BMW’s are too pricey and complicated although I do think they are great bikes. V-Strom 650 kinda appeals to me but is it much of an upgrade? Love the Yamaha 700T but that forces me into a dealership purchase.

I’m beginning to sound like maybe selling isn’t such a great option. Wish Kawasaki had done something a little better with the new KLR.

comments, suggestions appreciated.

Love my tiger xca. My klr650 4sale now. Will get a s.aller bone, 250-350 later. I ride a Royal Enfield Himilayan for 4 says in europe. Great little bike I loved.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i guess that depends on the type of riding you primarily want to do. I'm looking to pick up a more dirt oriented street legal toy and same as you was hoping the new KLR would be that... now I'm looking DR / T7 etc... but not too sure.

as to whether the vstrom 650 is enough of an upgrade.... traction control, hill assist, ABS, dual front discs, fuel injected, 6 speed, almost double the hp.... there's a ton of them used out there and really good deals on new leftovers.

edit: just realized i wrote hill assist when i meant low rpm assist. hill assist is only on the newest gen 1050.
Youtube "Everide" does a real good comparison between the KLR and the vstrom. To me they are both too heavy for any real dirt work.

·
Administrator
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
By way of an update - I've taken my ad down and think I'll be keeping my KLR for a while yet. I'd like to get on the Yamaha 700T but right now you can only buy new. The KLR still suits my needs for the time being. Can't travel anywhere anyway and who knows when that will end.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Youtube "Everide" does a real good comparison between the KLR and the vstrom. To me they are both too heavy for any real dirt work.

Agreed though a VStrom at 490 lbs is far heavier than a Gen2 KLR at 425 lbs which is heavier than a Gen1 at 399 lbs which is heavier than my KLRs at 354lbs (wet, no fuel) so, there is a wide range there. The suspension on both is more of a deterent than the weight but at least that's easily fixed on the KLR. Depends what you mean by "real dirt work", but I ride mine extensively on mild to moderate single track at a decent pace - I won't venture onto the black diamond stuff but it's quite capable offroad for a dual purpose bike

Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
By way of an update - I've taken my ad down and think I'll be keeping my KLR for a while yet. I'd like to get on the Yamaha 700T but right now you can only buy new. The KLR still suits my needs for the time being. Can't travel anywhere anyway and who knows when that will end.
I think you made the right decision.

I know you said you want to stay away from dealerships. However, there can be some good deals had on some used models. Here is an example. A dealer about 40 miles from me has a 1 year old bike advertised with 50 miles on it. Ad says guy brought it home, wife said no, so dealer has it now as a used bike. It's got a price thousands less than new and has been up for a couple months now. I'll bet if someone walked in with cash, a good deal could be struck!

I think if I got the bug to make a change to replace my KLR, I'd be seriously looking at the Yamaha 700T myself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you made the right decision.

I know you said you want to stay away from dealerships. However, there can be some good deals had on some used models. Here is an example. A dealer about 40 miles from me has a 1 year old bike advertised with 50 miles on it. Ad says guy brought it home, wife said no, so dealer has it now as a used bike. It's got a price thousands less than new and has been up for a couple months now. I'll bet if someone walked in with cash, a good deal could be struck!

I think if I got the bug to make a change to replace my KLR, I'd be seriously looking at the Yamaha 700T myself.
Good luck finding a new T-7. In my neck of the woods they have been promising them since Dec 2020 but there hasn't been any show up yet. Some dealers aren't even advertising them anymore because they don't know when they will get them.

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Good luck finding a new T-7. In my neck of the woods they have been promising them since Dec 2020 but there hasn't been any show up yet. Some dealers aren't even advertising them anymore because they don't know when they will get them.
They're probably on the same boat as my swing arm bolt. Stuck out at sea waiting to get into L.A. or Long Beach Harbor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed though a VStrom at 490 lbs is far heavier than a Gen2 KLR at 425 lbs which is heavier than a Gen1 at 399 lbs which is heavier than my KLRs at 354lbs (wet, no fuel) so, there is a wide range there. The suspension on both is more of a deterent than the weight but at least that's easily fixed on the KLR. Depends what you mean by "real dirt work", but I ride mine extensively on mild to moderate single track at a decent pace - I won't venture onto the black diamond stuff but it's quite capable offroad for a dual purpose bike

Dave
I think the v-strom is an upgrade in a lot of ways to the KLR but not if you are focused on more off-road. And
I don't get the dry weight, wet weight, wet with no fuel thing. It should all be curb wet, ready to ride IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
I think the v-strom is an upgrade in a lot of ways to the KLR but not if you are focused on more off-road. And
I don't get the dry weight, wet weight, wet with no fuel thing. It should all be curb wet, ready to ride IMO.

I agree on the V strom but on the weight issue, there is only one proper weight IMO - WET with NO fuel......otherwise you are unfairly comparing a KLR (for eg.) which carries 6.1 galls of fuel to a DR650S (for eg.) that carries 2.5 galls of fuel - that's 20lbs of fuel! We all know that the DR /DRZ/etc.riders almost all go buy decent sized aftermarket tanks and/or you can run the KLR with 2.5 galls instead of 6 if that's all you need. It makes no sense to me to compare bike's weights including the fuel weight when tank sizes vary widely.

"ready to ride" for me is enough fuel for my trip plus a bit extra - I learned a long time ago that offroading a KLR is best done at as light a weight as possible.:LOL:

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
I prefer the weight minus the gasoline, because different tank sizes make a big difference in the amount of fuel you can put in it and thus the weight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree on the V strom but on the weight issue, there is only one proper weight IMO - WET with NO fuel......otherwise you are unfairly comparing a KLR (for eg.) which carries 6.1 galls of fuel to a DR650S (for eg.) that carries 2.5 galls of fuel - that's 20lbs of fuel! We all know that the DR /DRZ/etc.riders almost all go buy decent sized aftermarket tanks and/or you can run the KLR with 2.5 galls instead of 6 if that's all you need. It makes no sense to me to compare bike's weights including the fuel weight when tank sizes vary widely.

"ready to ride" for me is enough fuel for my trip plus a bit extra - I learned a long time ago that offroading a KLR is best done at as light a weight as possible.:LOL:

Cheers,
Dave
It would just be nice if everyone was on the same page.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts