Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Now I may be really biased here but hey what can I say? 馃ぃ I really like my 1989 Honda XL600V Transalp I purchased last July. Now, it's NOT a hardcore off roader but how much time do you really spend off-road? You have to travel a fair distance to get to the off-road sections correct? Now, it's been mentioned on the Interweb that Honda has applied to continue the Transalp name for 2022 and they do need a bike that will compete in the middleweight class of the Yamaha 700 Tenere so you never know what might happen. Oh, as far as weight for the '89 Transalp - Dry 399.0 lb. and 443.1 lb. Curb weight. I do indeed like the fact that the OEM seat height on the '89 TA is 33.5 inches. The OEM seat height on my '15 KLR is still 35.0 inches. A bit easier to handle my TA at dead stops than my KLR but I'm kinda short in height myself. If Honda does indeed produce a new version of the Transalp I, for one, am very curious to see what they come up with. I wish you all could have the opportunity to spend some seat time on a '89 Transalp. I'm certain you would appreciate what I'm saying.

Since Honda CRF250L (Noraly - Itchy Boots is riding in South Africa) was mentioned I thought I would post this. Now, this is just one guy's opinion about the Honda CRF300L in Colorado's altitude.

Registered
KBear,

That Transalp is a nice, you have my 2 enthusiastic (y)(y)!

Now I may be really biased here but hey what can I say? 馃ぃ I really like my 1989 Honda XL600V Transalp I purchased last July. Now, it's NOT a hardcore off roader but how much time do you really spend off-road? You have to travel a fair distance to get to the off-road sections correct? Now, it's been mentioned on the Interweb that Honda has applied to continue the Transalp name for 2022 and they do need a bike that will compete in the middleweight class of the Yamaha 700 Tenere so you never know what might happen. Oh, as far as weight for the '89 Transalp - Dry 399.0 lb. and 443.1 lb. Curb weight. I do indeed like the fact that the OEM seat height on the '89 TA is 33.5 inches. The OEM seat height on my '15 KLR is still 35.0 inches. A bit easier to handle my TA at dead stops than my KLR but I'm kinda short in height myself. If Honda does indeed produce a new version of the Transalp I, for one, am very curious to see what they come up with. I wish you all could have the opportunity to spend some seat time on a '89 Transalp. I'm certain you would appreciate what I'm saying.
View attachment 29134

Since Honda CRF250L (Noraly - Itchy Boots is riding in South Africa) was mentioned I thought I would post this. Now, this is just one guy's opinion about the Honda CRF300L in Colorado's altitude.

Premium Member
I guess it would make the v-strom 435 lbs since we're talking no gas.
more or less - depends on the year I guess, the interweb suggests a wet, full tank weight of 471 - 490 and a fuel cap of 5.3 - 5.8 usg giving us 439 - 455 lbs....even at 435 lbs, that makes the Wee 40 - 50 lbs heavier than a Gen2 KLR and 70+ lbs heavier than a Gen1.....not too bad for a twin ADV bike though.

Registered
KBear,

That Transalp is a nice, you have my 2 enthusiastic (y)(y)!
Thanks bud. I really like it a lot. Even though the tires were pretty bad last summer I did put a few miles on them. The front tire was 16 years old and the back tire was 15 years old. Put brand new tires on about two weeks ago and I can't wait to start riding the TA. I may end up riding my TA more than my KLR. Couple more things I wish to do to the TA such as flush the radiator and change the fork oil here in a week or so. Missing a muffle bracket bolt that I ordered from David Silver Spares in England and a replacement MRA windscreen from Germany. Ordered an MRA windscreen only to end up writing them to voice my disappointment in the fitment and screen thickness. MRA reengineered a new version for me and its supposed to be on its way according to Twisted Throttle. We'll have to see if it turns out any better. Sorry, enough of me rambling on about my Transalp. I have/had no intention of hijacking this thread.

Premium Member
We have been know to ramble about many things not directly pertinent to the issue at hand.
Example, what do you know about the ME262? Did you know that the original engines were 'Rope Start' not electric start?

Registered
We have been know to ramble about many things not directly pertinent to the issue at hand.
Example, what do you know about the ME262? Did you know that the original engines were 'Rope Start' not electric start?
I think it was rope start on the 10hp pony motor only to get those turbines going. But to stay on topic, the wet weight of that bird was 15,720 lbs and without gas was 8400 which is 8035+lbs heavier than a gen 1 KLR.

Premium Member
That reads like you did a little research. :)

Registered
I think it was rope start on the 10hp pony motor only to get those turbines going. But to stay on topic, the wet weight of that bird was 15,720 lbs and without gas was 8400 which is 8035+lbs heavier than a gen 1 KLR.
That reads like you did a little research. :)

Premium Member
I believe those engines were designed and produced by BMW.

Premium Member
I believe those engines were designed and produced by BMW.
Which engine was possibly designed by BMW for the ME262? The rope start pony starter engine or the jet turbine engine?

Premium Member
Which engine was possibly designed by BMW for the ME262? The rope start pony starter engine or the jet turbine engine?
Beats me. Other sources indicate the engines were made by Jumo/Junkers but I don't know their association with BMW and a video I found of an operating starter engine stated it was a "Riedel."

Newly-discovered diaries from Me262 mechanics show that Rotella T4 15/W40 was the preferred oil for these engines and that the sight glass should be kept just above the top of the sight glass...........

41 - 52 of 52 Posts