Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am switching my bike from red to black, and the paint guy is backed up a month before he can get to my tank,, I found another guy that will powder coat my tank gloss black for $75.00.

Anyone know of a reason that I should not go with the powder coat on the gas tank? the guy says it will be better than paint and stronger.

just wondering the pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
it's a klr. go to walmart and grab some of them fancy spray cans. believe me you will jack the paint up anyway. she is going to get rubbed off scraped off dropped scratched you name it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a klr. go to walmart and grab some of them fancy spray cans. believe me you will jack the paint up anyway. she is going to get rubbed off scraped off dropped scratched you name it.
I hear you and agree but heck id rather pay $75 for the full powder coat job than have to sand down the tank itself.

The headlight cowls, im going to sand down and do the duplicolor color match spray can system, base coat and clear, I just hope that turns out good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I powder coated the tank on my '68 Beemer and am happy with the results however the process calls for about 300 deg. to cure the coat and it opened some of the seams. I coated the tank with KREEM and it's been good for years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you powder coat tank will make the duplicolor, look like duplicolor.

Go to Harbor Freight pick up a cheap 19 dollar touch up gun and some real paint. If you have a compressor you could do the hole job your self for a 100 bucks. Single stage black acrylic urethane will give you a better finish then anything in a rattle can, and last longer as well.

I know it's just a KLR, but it's your KLR. It's like the hole mod thing, don't just replace when you can improve.

Just my opinion I could be wrong...lol

Good luck and post pictures

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you powder coat tank will make the duplicolor, look like duplicolor.

Go to Harbor Freight pick up a cheap 19 dollar touch up gun and some real paint. If you have a compressor you could do the hole job your self for a 100 bucks. Single stage black acrylic urethane will give you a better finish then anything in a rattle can, and last longer as well.

I know it's just a KLR, but it's your KLR. It's like the hole mod thing, don't just replace when you can improve.

Just my opinion I could be wrong...lol

Good luck and post pictures

Yea I have really been considering what to do on these cowl panels, I am going to get the tank powder coated for sure. I think im going to sand and prep the panels and run by a few paint shops with them, these big paint shops around here do tons of insurance work and don't care for little jobs. i think if I prep the panels I might can talk one of the big shops into spraying them for me the next time they spray a black vehicle.

I will post some pictures when I get it done and all back together. might be a few weeks though. Ive not been really motivated with freezing temps and crappy weather.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the tank is done, looks real good! i will post some pics if anyone wants to see it. question though, the powdercoater had to remove the foam from under the tank and i was wondering if it has to be glued back on or am i ok to just leave it off?

·
Registered
148 Posts
So the tank is done, looks real good! i will post some pics if anyone wants to see it. question though, the powdercoater had to remove the foam from under the tank and i was wondering if it has to be glued back on or am i ok to just leave it off?
Yah let's see pictures :character0029:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures not great but its the best i can do now. the tank was red, now its black and looks sharp. only cost $75 and the guy said any problems he would fix it free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice, can't wait to see it all together.
Thanks. im getting ready to put it back together soon. but i dont know if these foam pads are needed on the bottom of the tank. i guess if they are i can used my hot glue gun to put them back on but if they are not needed i dont want to waste time with them.

Anyone? please chime in about the foam if you know. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd put them back. Keeps engine heat off fuel.
The cooler you can keep the fuel the better.
In the Arizona summers we can run in to the problem of vapor lock.
If you have them you can use contact cement to replace them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd put them back. Keeps engine heat off fuel.
The cooler you can keep the fuel the better.
In the Arizona summers we can run in to the problem of vapor lock.
If you have them you can use contact cement to replace them.
Yea that makes sense, it don't get too hot here in western NC but i guess the cooler the fuel the better off. i will get some contact cement and see if i can get them all put back on.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
update picture

Bike is slowly going back together, I got the tank on now, the new black rear fender and I removed the side racks and cases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts