Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this header sitting on the shelf for a year.
Might install it on an StoCK MUFFLER in my bike and test it.
the common opinion is it makes very little difference. I bet nobody tried it on and MCP fitted bike.
The fact that MCP makes the power from IDLe and UP, drastically increasing bottom end torque, plays right into how this pipe is supposed to work.
Remember i have the most accurate butt dyno around lol. Today might be the day to try this out! with a stock muffler. (googled image of the powerbomb, obviously the kLR powerbomb has an oval inlet)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Powerbomb header installed, took less than 5 mins. The stock muffler gasket and clamp seal perfectly, mounts perfect

FIRST FIRE, immediately noticed stronger pop when it fires, had to richen the mix screw slightly too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
FMF Power Bomb Header - When combined with the MCP Carburetor Correction Kit is like a match made in heaven. With the STOCK MUFFLER ! ! !

It bolts in perfectly, the muffler seal and oem clamp seal perfectly, bolts straight in! Took 5 minutes to install.

The torque increase is noticeable immediately, estimated to be 2-3 ft lbs easily. Hp increased too by an estimated 2 Hp. Just from the header, the bike already had MCP so it was pushing 40 horse nearly, definitely over now. The massive torque gains from MCP alone is staggering, then add this few more. My KLR is Truely how a KLR should be.

The SINGLE biggest benefit is the increased efficiency and improved MPG.

65 mph with a stock bike is nearly 3/4 throttle

With MCP 65 is less than half throttle.

With Mcp and the FMF power bomb 65 mph is about 1/3 throttle.

I'm so tickled with the change that I'd have to say it was worth the 400$ ish Canadian the header cost!!!!

Snorkel yanked only -
16 t Sprocket -
MCP Carb Correction Kit -

I immediately noticed it have a stronger idle with more pop

The muffler has a lil more RAP when ya walk on the throttle

nice n stealthy while cruising

it's unbelievable the improvement, i was skeptical when i bought it, wish i would have installed it in the spring !!!!

turns a nice color too once broke in !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
POWER BOMB HEADER + Stock Muffler + mcp + snorkel yank

It has a wee bit better BRAPP from the exhaust when you walk on it but it is quieter while cruising due to the less amount of throttle input required to maintain speed.

Its soo fantastic, i would have never guessed. If you understand exhaust pulse waves this only makes sense, I just underestimated how well it would work with the stock muffler.

I theorize that putting this header on with an open unrestricted exhaust would yield LESS GAINS (or without mcp carb kit). That is just me thinking out loud though. (quiet tips and spark arrestors would regain some backpressure). As everyone knows open exhaust is more for creating HP, but the KLR is better at makin torque. (similar to the harley V twin) It is a big single after all, torque is what it was made for.

I have about 400 miles on this new set up. Couldn't be more surprised & pleased but i'm after torque and efficiency, most seem to be after horsepower.

It actually vibrates a hair more due to the stronger, crisper, power stroke (more torque). Thank god mcp reduced the vibes long ago when I put it in. (And this is true, regardless if you believe it or not)

Photo for effect

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
starting to think y'all got me on ignore

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have a sound clip? I'm wanting a Lexx and the mcp carb kit, just waiting on inventory for the exhaust. Thanks

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, i can do, it is quieter than before until you open it up.

its so stealthy while cruising due to the muffle effect of the powerbomb and the fact it requires less throttle to maintain speed.

I have the header mounted on a stock OEM muffler.

Do you have a sound clip? I'm wanting a Lexx and the mcp carb kit, just waiting on inventory for the exhaust. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
There is probably some skepticism due to this:

On my bike I dynoed it before and after a Powerbomb header install with carb adjustments. The Powerbomb improved mid throttle by about 2/10 of a horsepower and lost peak horsepower by about the same amount. It did make my bike slightly quieter. I have a Staintune muffler that was too loud with the baffle out before the header installation, but after the header installation I now run with no baffle. The stainless steel header goes well with the stainless steel muffler. If you are looking for more power spend your money elsewhere. If your looking to loose weight, have a shiny header that makes your bike a tiny bit quiter, then by all means get and enjoy a Powerbomb.

The entire thread:

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
works better with Mcp in the carb

There is probably some skepticism due to this:

On my bike I dynoed it before and after a Powerbomb header install with carb adjustments. The Powerbomb improved mid throttle by about 2/10 of a horsepower and lost peak horsepower by about the same amount. It did make my bike slightly quieter. I have a Staintune muffler that was too loud with the baffle out before the header installation, but after the header installation I now run with no baffle. The stainless steel header goes well with the stainless steel muffler. If you are looking for more power spend your money elsewhere. If your looking to loose weight, have a shiny header that makes your bike a tiny bit quiter, then by all means get and enjoy a Powerbomb.

The entire thread:

Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
you know , and you DO know, its a big single.

I THINK TORQUE. Horsepower is an afterthought. its a big single , to me this goes without saying, each to their own though.

in the rev range one rides, for me 2500-5000 rpm, the torque is much higher than the Horsepower., Horsepower is useful from about 5600 to 6500 ish on the klr 650 (unless you're in top gear)

i only do those runs for testing. Unless i'm on the highway i run 2500-3800 when possible. As it should be.

RPM is across the bottom. (typical dyno chart, this is in a stock machine with the snorkel out. thats it. IIRC

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
taking the above into account, consider the rotating mass. It applies to anything that spins including wheels and crankshafts etc

the KLR has decent size flywheels, then add the rotating mass of the counter balance system, the weight is something you have to work with. AKA torque. well ... and the lack of RPM the KLR is capable of ...

the POWerbomb plays into this. and works excellent with the stock muffler.

it also acts like a pre muffler like David mentioned. You can be super stealthy with it.

the back pressure with the OEM muffler combined with a power bomb header and the mcp kit is the shizzle. really nice.

Carburetion that PLAyS on the torque is key.

its funny, i get 45 ish mpg US now at 75 mph lol (no wind, flat ground)

keep in mind i'm also about efficiency. The 2014.5+ (maybe 2012+) muffler seems to flow better compared to prior years

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
Humm,
That is a kind of an interesting dyno chart. The peaks & valleys are Soo close to the same rpms.
Do you have any explanation as to why or how, if the two kits are so different?

I don't hesitate to lug my 1987 -A1 down to 1800rpm in 1st gear or wring its neck to 7200rpm, uphill in 4th gear.
And recently achieved 49.905 mpg on one ride and 41.67mpg on the next. So my 2 fill average is 45.79mpg at 5000+ feet of altitude, on 87 octane gasahol.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
customer submitted dyno chart of what you see.]}, snorkel yanked, thats it

a customer had a buddy that did dyno work. I sent him both kits to try as he was interested in testing them. Sent him the KLX kit free.

tbh, the diaphragm spring is a bit weak imo. I've had thoughts of adding some preload( washers in the bottom of the hole inthe slide), i suspect that wont be enough. Wee bit stiffer rate with the same initial preload.

might check the rate on harley springs

Humm,
That is a kind of an interesting dyno chart. The peaks & valleys are Soo close to the same rpms.
Do you have any explanation as to why or how, if the two kits are so different?

I don't hesitate to lug my 1987 -A1 down to 1800rpm in 1st gear or wring its neck to 7200rpm, uphill in 4th gear.
And recently achieved 49.905 mpg on one ride and 41.67mpg on the next. So my 2 fill average is 45.79mpg at 5000+ feet of altitude, on 87 octane gasahol.
i don't run my KLR there. (that rpm), so its low priority

torque .

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
I've had thoughts of adding some preload( washers in the bottom of the hole inthe slide), i suspect that wont be enough. Wee bit stiffer rate with the same initial preload.
I think that would be more initial preload with the same spring Rate. Don't encroach upon the vacuum hole with your washers, they would need to be quite narrow.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts