Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the real power potential in our engines? We have 38hp stock right?

Would 50hp while maintaining fuel economy and usability be realistic?

If so, what would it require?

If not, is there an alternative engine easily adaptable to our frame?

Except for it being set up for shaft drive, I bet that the motor from an 86 VT500C would be a blast in this bike.

Not really considering anything at this time, but I find it perplexing that Kawasaki cannot give us more power and better fuel economy in the same displacement without sacrificing the on/off road characteristics of the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Think 70 MPH. How much power does it take to do 70 MPH?

·
Registered
297 Posts
My stock 2008 will do 75-80 all day with a 16 tooth front sprocket...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not necessarily want ninja speeds. I would like a healthy roll on acceleration. Say you are going 70mph. You haven't currently got a great rate of acceleration when you then ask for more. There are quite legitimate reasons to be able to zip quickly to 100mph from 70mph. It usually has to do with cage drivers that you want to get away from. I know that the klr is what it is. Even more than intermediate acceleration, I am interested in fuel efficiency. Nothing that gets 70mpg fits me well. I am kind of interested in the diesel engine that the military is using. 96mpg at 55mph sounds awesome. It can also hold 90mph all day too.

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
I don't think you can get an honest 50 horse out of a KLR and have anything resembling fuel economy. As far as swap in engines, I don't think there's anything that swaps in easily. I have seen a late model KLR with a Versys twin in it but the amount of modification required to the frame and such doesn't really make it an easy swap. I think part of the reason that the KLR's are so long lived and reliable is that they are overbuilt for the power they put out. Lol, I wouldn't have it any other way :character00201:

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you're trying to do 100 on a KLR, you're on the wrong bike. I can't even imagine going that fast on mine. Anything over 80 seems unsafe on a KLR...Just sayin......

I put a jet kit in mine and it has more power above 5000 rpm now but I still dont take it much past 80 and then only for short bursts.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Silk purse out of a sows ear is what you are considering. Listen to what the other longtime KLR rider/owner's are saying and showing. If you want a smotth 70 to 100 roll-on, find any 600cc sport bike and your dreams will be met.

The last group ride I was on there was 6 or 7 KLRs and one Triumph Sprint (1000cc). The Sprint is a very nice motorcycle though it could not stay with any of the KLRs on the asphalt backroads and the KLRs could not stay with the Sprint on smooth roads.

KLRs don't have to go fast to have fun or transport the riders to the next fun road whether it be smooth or rough, asphalt or dirt, stream or shallow creek, urban road or interstate, loaded or not, commute or 48 stater. The KLR is a dualsport which it does well though it is not the best off-road and or on-road. If the KLR had a 5 gallon fuel tank and got 35 MPG you would have trouble selling them.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
q.v., "World's Fastest Indian."

Something akin to the dedicated lifetime research and development, engineering, and fabricatio involved in that project would be necessary to achieve significant power increases with the KLR mill, IMHO.

And even then, were the power goals possible, they would be achieved with a highly-stressed, one-of machine good for one or two runs through the timing lights before major overhaul/rebuild.

FORGET fuel economy!

Also, the "World's Fastest Indian" builder lost his marriage, etc., in the process of of streaking through the Bonneville traps, I understand.

A matter of priorities, and cost-to-gain, I think. Maybe power enhancement on a major scale is possible, with sufficient dedication and effort. Yet, at the end of the day, no free lunch!

If power's the goal, plunking down the cash for a Husky TE630, a go-ride-fast KTM, etc., might be a more efficient, and even economical, way to go.

Sorry; wish increased power and economy were available conveniently and plausably. I hope my opinion is in error. Regardless, please don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

A matter of priorities, and cost-to-gain, I think. Maybe power enhancement on a major scale is possible, with sufficient dedication and effort. Yet, at the end of the day, no free lunch!

If power's the goal, plunking down the cash for a Husky TE630, a go-ride-fast KTM, etc., might be a more efficient, and even economical, way to go...

The KLR is 30 year old technology. The design was dated back when they first came up with it (compared to the dirt bikes of the day).

You can get close to 50 horsepower out of the motor but then the brakes will be even more inadequate than they are now. You upgrade the brakes and then the suspension is the glaring weakness. OK more money and the bike feels pretty good but pushing the envelope the weak frame becomes evident so you're stuck.

By this time you have more money in it (not to mention time which to me is more valuable) than a KTM, Husaberg, Beta, etc. and they are fundamentally much better/newer tech.

Hey it's your time and money and every man needs a hobby just go into it realistically and don't get your panties in a wad when someone points out the folly!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It is plausable to get 50hp out of the KLR motor. The Patman got 45hp with the 685 and larger valves. http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8.0/
He did some dyno runs on the 705 but never fully completed his testing do to the passing of KLRCary. I know that motor was pushing close to 50hp, I just don't know how close. I rode it with the 705 and it flat rocked. I think mpg's were right around 40.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all!! I think I know what I want, but getting my grubby hands on it may be difficult. I think I would like the diesel the military has in these bikes. 96mpg at 55mph and an effortless hold of 90mph when needed. It does not address the issue of quick acceleration from 55 to 85 etc, but you can't have it all. Have any of you seen, rode, or have any experience with the diesel KLR? I have already visited the obvious pages. Would it perhaps be better to find a whole bike that has made it's way out of military service, or would it be better to try to source the requisite engine and other bits from Hayes?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you all!! I think I know what I want, but getting my grubby hands on it may be difficult. I think I would like the diesel the military has in these bikes. 96mpg at 55mph and an effortless hold of 90mph when needed. It does not address the issue of quick acceleration from 55 to 85 etc, but you can't have it all. Have any of you seen, rode, or have any experience with the diesel KLR? I have already visited the obvious pages. Would it perhaps be better to find a whole bike that has made it's way out of military service, or would it be better to try to source the requisite engine and other bits from Hayes?
Good luck on this:confused:. Many have tried to get one and struck out. If you find a way, I want one too.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Have you ever ridden a 685 or 705 with head work and proper carburetor modifications?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you ever ridden a 685 or 705 with head work and proper carburetor modifications?

Actually, I have not. Do these eat the fuel economy? I got a high of 48mpg this last tank.(up from 45mpg) I am hoping as the engine breaks in, it will creep up into th low 50mpg range.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
It is plausable to get 50hp out of the KLR motor. The Patman got 45hp with the 685 and larger valves. http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,8.0/
He did some dyno runs on the 705 but never fully completed his testing do to the passing of KLRCary. I know that motor was pushing close to 50hp, I just don't know how close. I rode it with the 705 and it flat rocked. I think mpg's were right around 40.
This 685 with large ss valves, some porting, 142.5 jet, KLX needle in the middle slot, grommet removed, slide not drilled, stock exhaust, and I am getting 48-50 mpg. Before it the break-in I was getting 46-47 mpg.

Gotta wonder if Patmans clutch eats gas mileage, just thinking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The other thing you can do,if you want more zip from the klr.Is drop some lbs from it.Mine is about 80lbs down on a stock 09.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
The other thing you can do,if you want more zip from the klr.Is drop some lbs from it.Mine is about 80lbs down on a stock 09.
Fascinating!

80 lbs. loss makes you, "The Biggest Loser!"

Please provide details (and, if possible, images) of how you performed this weight-reduction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi down the bottom of the page in posting rules,it says i may not post attachments so i can't post pics.I have put a alloy sub frame on it,& removed just about every thing i could.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Hi down the bottom of the page in posting rules,it says i may not post attachments so i can't post pics.I have put a alloy sub frame on it,& removed just about every thing i could.
You should be able to post attachments now, since you have 10 posts.. Give it a try, and if it doesn't work at 10, it will at 15.. It's an ongoing issue with the program here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts