Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I discovered that the previous owner left the catridge type heaters inside the bars, and cut the wiring for power, I installed the adhesive over the bar type. Does anyone see any reason why I cannot power the grips from this plug coming off battery ?

I'm learning all this mechanical stuff as my 2001 KLR 650 is my first bike at 37 years old, but I love it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v254/mountainsun/?action=view&current=battery.jpg

Thanks!

Rick

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
After I discovered that the previous owner left the catridge type heaters inside the bars, and cut the wiring for power, I installed the adhesive over the bar type. Does anyone see any reason why I cannot power the grips from this plug coming off battery

In theory you would be able to do it with the matching plug but there are better ways as mentioned. If you used that plug directly to the heaters they would be on ALL the time (24/7) (well maybe only 24 cause your battery would be dead). You would need to wire in a switch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would like to share some of my experience with heated grip's lately. I did quite a bit of research on the heated grip thing before I decided what to purchase. I considered the bar insert. I kinda liked that concept because of the fact when the grip's get old and worn I could just replace the grip
and the heater would still be intact. but I don't like the fact that the throttle tube is there so the heat cannot transfer the same on both sides. then I looked at other concept's and ended up focusing on amperage draw and
dependability.
I decided to go with the oxford heaterz after I recieved them I was impressed with the quality and considered doing the relay, I have wired a few thing's lol, then I read the direction's and found out something interesting quite clever actually.
The oxford grip's come with a controller that senses voltage and at 11.75 I think was the right number anyway they shutoff at the min. voltage.
Since I was going with a 12 v. power outlet on the dash anyway I decided not to worry about using the 2 wires behind the fairing that were for the euro applic. ignition activated to control a relay.
I just hooked up the grip's to the batt. and the grip's will shut off automatically after I shut off the engine in about 30 second's because of the voltage sensing controller no worry about the grip's being left on and running the batt.
I am very happy with the oxford heaterz.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered a used set of grip heaters from a bike being parted out. It has thin sleeves that go under the grips? They have a switch wired in. What are the inserts your talking about? Do these things not go under the grips directly?

·
Registered
147 Posts
They go inside the handlebar and are a round cartridge heating element they have two wires on each element and you drill a hole in the bar's down by the tree to access wires.
Grip heater's are really more of a pain to install than they are expensive be sure to inspect what you bought before you go through all of the trouble. I paid $65.00 for my grip's and they were new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts