Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preload Adjustment Torque figures

Hi,
I’m a Masters Engineering student at Brighton University UK. I’m working on a final year project involving preload on a motorcycle rear suspension. My design is to add an electronic adjuster for the preload with a handlebar mounted control. The KLR650 2009 (and similar models) with has a clever preload adjuster which allows the adjuster to remain stationary regardless of what adjustment is made. This means I can stick an electric motor on the end of it no problem.

However, I am currently stuck. With the complexity in how the rear preload adjuster works (lots of parts with friction along slopes and varying planes), it makes the calculations to figure out the amount of torque required to make each adjustment extremely complicated. It’s well beyond my level of engineering capabilities. My academic supervisor suggests that my only way forward is the raw data. I do not currently have access to any motorcycles currently (I have emailed Kawasaki and local dealerships but no reply) so I cannot get this data myself.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for this data, or use their own bike and get the data for me. They would also be acknowledged in my dissertation paper.

The data I need, using a torque wrench and measuring tape:
Starting at the lowest preload setting:
Stage 1: The length of the spring - then measure how much torque is required to make the first adjustment to the next preload setting.
Then the new length of the spring, then repeat for all the settings and lengths of spring up to the final adjustment.

Stage2: Then do the reverse, start at the 5th setting and see all the torque requirements for reducing the preload and measuring the length of the spring.

And if possible, repeat Stage 1 and 2 two more times to get a larger set of data to get the average torques.
I realise this is a massive ask. If I had a bike to work on I would obviously do this all myself. I would be eternally grateful if someone could do this for me.
With these values I can design/choose the correct motor and gearing and start creating an engineering model, with the potential of rapid prototyping an example system.

Thanks in advance just for reading this far.

Please ask any questions you may have

GD

1 - 1 of 1 Posts