Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some Pro Grip 737s to replace my stock ones...
Does it matter what one goes on the left and which goes on the right side?

It seems as if the throttle side is much larger than the left side. I wasn't sure if this is normal, or if they are put on wrong? I just never noticed the difference before..

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts

It seems as if the throttle side is much larger than the left side. I wasn't sure if this is normal, or if they are put on wrong? I just never noticed the difference before..

Thanks
The plastic tube {throttle tube} that the grip goes on the throttle side IS a larger diameter than clutch side,,not alot but it is a larger O.D.{outer diameter} I just installed a vista-cruz throttle lock{poor mans cruise control} and I just got some MTN bike grips/ 8$ and put those on,,they work,,and then I put "pipe insulation over that and black duct tape it tight. No vibes at grips. You may need to use dish soap inside grip as you put it on the throttle side,,it does help slide it on. Measure the inner diameter of both grips,,and which ever is larger,,,,put that one on the throttle side. By the way,,,on my 06,,,kawi used some type of adhesive to "glue" grip to bars,,,thats why I had to replace.I ripped them to bits getting them off!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Thanks

I think you have them reversed.

The right grip has a larger inside diameter to fit over the throttle tube. Both grips are the same outside diameter but the throttle side is thinner because of the larger I.D. . If you put the left grip on the throttle you'll end up with a larger O.D. on the right.

Not that you asked but I use hairspray to mount grips. Cheapest firmest hold works great.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Not that you asked but I use hairspray to mount grips. Cheapest firmest hold works great.
Great tip !!! I had forgotten I did that back in the day.....stealing my sisters Aqua Net. Works great as spud gun fuel also ;-0. Until you mentioned it I had forgotten. Been using a little RTV to provide the slip and later the set. Glad you reminded me, I'll start using that again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you have them reversed.

The right grip has a larger inside diameter to fit over the throttle tube. Both grips are the same outside diameter but the throttle side is thinner because of the larger I.D. . If you put the left grip on the throttle you'll end up with a larger O.D. on the right.

awe crap. I didn't think common sense. I didn't even see a difference, so I just put them on. I am pretty sure the right feels much larger than the left. So, I guess I am taking them off tomorrow and checking it out. Good thing I used brake cleaner to remove and install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts